Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardy will be there in english

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

when I open the exam on Wednesday afternoon, the first thing im gonna do is check the poets.. purely too see if Smemon was wrong.

oooh that'd be great wouldnt it?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Sawa

Sooo, has anyone got a sample question on Hardy?? Just so I can see what they could ask? Please. I can't find one anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I'm not a religious man in anyway whatsoever-not since that priest told me off for flirting with a girl whilst standing at the back of the church-however I'm going to say a million hail mary's on tuesday night just to make sure that chauvinstic sob Hardy doesn't come up.

And when he doesn't come up,I'm going to come back on this thread and laugh my ass off.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Rockerette wrote:
    when I open the exam on Wednesday afternoon, the first thing im gonna do is check the poets.. purely too see if Smemon was wrong.

oooh that'd be great wouldnt it?! :D

you know i'm right ;) im the master tactician, i wouldnt back hardy if their was a chance he wouldnt come up. i've studied the past papers, studied the future course poets and Hardy is odds on favourite to come up.

he was on the pre's in some shape or form, couldnt be bothered searching for the papers now. if you want to cut corners and have a no-nonsense approach like me, you'll learn hardy above anyone else as he's a dead cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Merde!

Don't start praying for Hardy to not come up! Some of us actually studied him (along with other poets of course) and would benefit from his appearance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Sawa

smemon wrote:
    you know i'm right ;) im the master tactician, i wouldnt back hardy if their was a chance he wouldnt come up. i've studied the past papers, studied the future course poets and Hardy is odds on favourite to come up.

he was on the pre's in some shape or form, couldnt be bothered searching for the papers now. if you want to cut corners and have a no-nonsense approach like me, you'll learn hardy above anyone else as he's a dead cert.

He wasn't on my mock paper, just checked there. ok im gonna try learn him without knowing what sorta thing would be asked. ****! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

I'm glad I'm not the only one banking on Hardy coming up. How many pages/words should I be aiming to write in the exam? As for Bishop, she can stay sleeping with the fishes.

he was on my mocks anyway. ironically i didnt answer on him :D

you'll be asked the same stuff you get asked on all poets. something like:

"Thomas Hardy is great and his poetry is lovely, discuss..."

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

smemon wrote:
    he was on my mocks anyway. ironically i didnt answer on him :D

you'll be asked the same stuff you get asked on all poets. something like:

"Thomas Hardy is great and his poetry is lovely, discuss..."
    LOL, I would seriously fall over laughing in the exam if that came up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Any question on the new course is just a personal response. That's all the examiners want to see - your response to the poetry. The questions never deviate from 'personal response' 'imagine you are giving a talk...which poems would you choose and why', 'write a letter to him/her telling him/her why you like his poetry'....all comes back to the same thing: what you think.

That's why there has to be 'I', 'I found that..' 'In my opinion' etc..literally all over the place.

That's my take on it anyway

• Advertisement

oh smemon i do fully expect Hardy to be there, i just would have a little giggle to myself if he wasnt... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

is it a DEFINATE??im scareddddd.....what if its not :-(

is it a DEFINATE??im scareddddd.....what if its not :-(

i think its a definate. put it this way - if i had nothing learned and had to cram 1 poet, id cram hardy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

I'll have the biggest grin on my face if he doesn't come up

:)

err you.ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Particle-Boy

I don't think it's worth anyone's while assuming that Hardy is definitely coming up. That is far too risky. The fact that he hasn't come up in years doesn't mean anything...
    Not discrediting the heads up or anything but just don't study ONLY Hardy.
    (perhaps I am saying this because I'm not doing him... -_- - I'm doing Plath, Bishop and Longley!)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

I'd an odd dream last night that people opened English Paper 2 and a big cheer went up from everyone ;)

hehe at the end of the day, it's only 50 marks.. if you can make up something about a poet, even if you havent revised him, just write about what you remember, you should at least get 1/2 the marks i think...

so im not too fussed, i know what each of the poets are on about most of the time, so raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaambling on should work wonders if i dont like the questions on the poets i know really well

lads and ladeez, as soon as you get paper 2 and open it and you see Hardy there, just think of me - i'll have a smug grin on my face with my collar up and my chest puffed out :D

in your head, you'll hear me say - "i told you so" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

smemon wrote:
    lads and ladeez, as soon as you get paper 2 and open it and you see Hardy there, just think of me - i'll have a smug grin on my face with my collar up and my chest puffed out :D

in your head, you'll hear me say - "i told you so" :)

We need sample answer tbh :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭willowmegs

hardy was on my pre too, but i did the elizabeth bishop question at the time. i could post up the hardy question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

a friend who was sure of himself told me that something about the fool will be on the lear question and theme/issue wont be up on the comparitive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Any one have any tips what to write when hardy comes up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭willowmegs

the hardy question on my pre was:

"Thomas Hardy's ability to combine lyrical beauty with moments of deep reflection makes his poetry more memorable."

Using the above statement as your title, write an essay on the poetry of Thomas Hardy. Support your points by reference to or quotation from the poetry of Thomas Hardy on your course.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

a friend who was sure of himself told me that something about the fool will be on the lear question and theme/issue wont be up on the comparitive!!

I've heard the Fool mentioned before too, but I really don't think there's enough to be written on him to justify a full question by the department... Hopefully the other choice is better :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

I'm doing Plath, Bishop and Longley

should be sorted with that :)

i hope longley doesnt come up, that'd screw a lot of people :D

i wish i could put money on who'll come up in paddypowers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭michelle_ie

Longley Will Be Up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I wouldn't see them asking a question on just the Fool. A man more sinn'd against than sinning or Edmund ftw.

• Advertisement

is edmund the bad one yeaah?

Advertisement