Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English quotes. How important are they???

Options
  • 05-06-2006 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

just wonderin?????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Fairly important. Dot a few of them around your answer and you'll be fine, you don't need to know too many. Use them where relevant, that's what's important. A good clear reference to a poem/ a plot can be as good sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

thanx

No thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Quotes are important, but they have to be relevant. They do show your knowledge of the text itself. However, when I did my Leaving Cert in 1993, I was told a misquote was worse than an actual quote. Therefore, if you are unsure of the actual exact quote, use the term "paraphrase".

But that will get fewer marks, but better few than none at all. This however, is bearing in mind that my English teacher was old school, pushing retirement when he taught me, and a complete tyrant, but he got the job done.

When it comes to the Shakespearean play, quotes are essential. Follow a rule, you should have perhaps 100 learned off. "Learn, explain, significance".

That will get you high marks there. On the Poetry, I have forgotten much of the tips and advice from that time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

dermo88 wrote:

When it comes to the Shakespearean play, quotes are essential. Follow a rule, you should have perhaps 100 learned off. "Learn, explain, significance".

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I've got 2...TWOOO

No way could I ever learn off 100 quotes from As You Like It

Sure I'd nearly have the whole text learnt off if that's the case :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

here, if u're totally focked on the day, make some up...(only kinda works for the novels)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

You can make up shakespearean quotes. There are so many edditions of that that nobdoy knows which on is even the real text. its true!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

ah now, shakespare, hardly.. u cant get away with that.. ah who am i kidding, or course u can.. Even the really famous quotes.. sure I made up.. to be or not to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

Haha yeah something like...

It's the little messages in ''As You Like It'' that appeal to me... Shakespeare almost conceals them from us.
    ''Thou art not indeed a true friend to uncover ways''
    Although not a popular quote... blah blah blah...and so on

;)
    Soo made up the examminer is hardly going to go looking for it anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

dermo88 wrote:
    Follow a rule, you should have perhaps 100 learned off.

I got about 10 atm, will learn more tomorrow! But 100! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

I was only planning on learning about 20 for King Lear :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

yes, make them up.

shakespeare: "thou speakest of thou noble fiend, art thou gay?"
    Of mice and men: "now you shut up now ya big b@$**d, i'm gonna sort you out real good, ya hear me?"

also, make up statistics i.e.

18.67% of those employed in America in 1920 were migrant workers. of that, 12.83% were italian.

whassupp2 wrote:
    Thank you
    No thank you.
    <bit late>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

20 could be good enough, but the whole emphasis drummed into me was bombard the examiner, provide evidence for your argument, proof, knowledge, link it.

I got lucky with the question. It was one of those moments where a torch was shone into my brain and it all poured out. That was the first time for King Lear in 1993.

But the second time around, my brain froze. There was no linkage, or connection. (Othello 1994).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭Alkers

B3 last year, didn't know any quotes for the comparitive, only a few ones from shakespear, none of which I learned, just picked them up from reading others essays etc. None at all for poetry and hardly knew the names of the poems in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

They're fairly essential for Poetry and Lear, but you don't need any for Comparitive as you'll even notice how it doesn't say "...with quotation", only reference ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

This is what I love about doing classics, the same goes for Greek comparative texts and Ibsen's stuff. It's in another language so you can pretty much say anything so long as it's not completely off the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I reckon they're more important than most here are giving them credit for. You have to back up every point you make with reference to the text/poem. I know "reference" is a fairly vague term, and you technically don't have to quote, but the style and content of your essay will suffer if you don't know any quotes.

"The extent of Lear's reform even extends to his attitide towards his people. He humbly promises to Cordelia that "We'll hear poor rogues talk of court news; and we'll talk with them too". "

sounds much better than:

"The extent of Lear's reform even extends to his attitide towards his people. He later commits to listening and talking to them".

I figure that Shakespeare can write better than us, so if you can work in his quotes in a fluid way, then not only will you illustrate a knowledge of the texts, but improve the fluidity and readability of your own essay.

Advertisement