Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with 7dayshop

Options
  • 05-06-2006 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone here had problems with credit card payments with 7dayshop at all? I have just tried ordering a flashgun and some batteries, about €350 worth, and got an automated email asking me for a fax of a bank statement or bill, since my address supposedly did not match 100% with that on the credit card, which is complete bullsh!t. I've used that card many, many times before, even on US sites that somehow manage to completely mangle my address, and yet they've managed to clear the card payment no bother. I've told them where they can stick their fax (well, a bit more politely than that :) ) and I'll order it elsewhere, even if it costs me slightly more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

Alun wrote:
    Has anyone here had problems with credit card payments with 7dayshop at all? I have just tried ordering a flashgun and some batteries, about €350 worth, and got an automated email asking me for a fax of a bank statement or bill, since my address supposedly did not match 100% with that on the credit card, which is complete bullsh!t. I've used that card many, many times before, even on US sites that somehow manage to completely mangle my address, and yet they've managed to clear the card payment no bother. I've told them where they can stick their fax (well, a bit more politely than that :) ) and I'll order it elsewhere, even if it costs me slightly more.

Yeh, been ordering from them for years,but only got that reply once when my order was a few hundred euro's worth, your right it's a bullsith excuse for double checking your bonifides they should just tell the truth and say "because your order is over a certain amount we require extra verifacation",..never the less they are a very good company.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

They are a decent company - I ordered the wrong size filters for my camcorder a few years ago and they refunded the price (and postage) no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

lensman wrote:
    Yeh, been ordering from them for years,but only got that reply once when my order was a few hundred euro's worth, your right it's a bullsith excuse for double checking your bonifides they should just tell the truth and say "because your order is over a certain amount we require extra verifacation",..never the less they are a very good company.
    If that's the case (I suspected as much) then I wouldn't mind if they just came out with it and admitted it, but all I've got so far in response to my carefully worded, and lengthy, questions are one-liner replies that say very little. It's just ignorant and rude.

I'm now just trying to get them to cancel my order, which is proving to be a problem in itself.

Finally got them to cancel my order. Last time I'll ever (try to) buy anything from them again, no matter how cheap they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Let me get this right they make an effort to confirm your identity and you go ballistic. Personally I would be happy if some firms did these checks, and yes they did that with me when I ordered an iRiver MP3 Player off them Last year as well.

How much efford does it take to scan in a bill, blank out bits like the account number etc and send it on to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Buying something should not be any effort at all, customer is always right.

gandalf wrote:
    Let me get this right they make an effort to confirm your identity and you go ballistic. Personally I would be happy if some firms did these checks, and yes they did that with me when I ordered an iRiver MP3 Player off them Last year as well.

How much efford does it take to scan in a bill, blank out bits like the account number etc and send it on to them.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

gandalf wrote:

No, you got it wrong ... and where do you get this 'ballistic' stuff from ?

What they did is this ... I submit an order, it is accepted, and then the next day I get an automated e-mail saying there is a problem with my credit card authorization. OK, I think, maybe I did mistype a digit of the card number or something, so I retype the card number and double check to make sure all the details, including my address are correct.

Get another automated email asking me to fax a bill / statement because ..
    For you [sic] order to go through, please can you fax us a utility bill or bank statement for confirmation of your address as the details do not match 100%.

... which is, quite simply, untrue. Note that at no stage did they ever say that what they were doing was confirming my identity, not that in this digital day and age anything faxed to them can safely be considered as proof of anything.

I tried explaining the situation to them repeatedly via their customer 'support' system, not going overboard, certainly not being 'ballistic', taking a good few lines of well crafted prose to try to ascertain what exactly the problem was, and repeatedly only got dismissive one-liner replies which clearly indicated they hadn't read a single word I'd written. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear it was a robot at the other end, not a human being, and if it was a human being it certainly wasn't one capable of logical independent thought.

Now, if they'd just have come clean, and admitted that the "address not matching 100%" thing was just a ruse, designed to confirm my identity, I would probably have gone along with it, but it was their whole attitude and the stupid, one-liner replies that convinced me to do otherwise.
    No effort at all, but that wasn't the point. See above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

I agree that this kind of thing is a minor inconvenience, but what if your card was being used without your knowledge?

I have experienced this from other companies and as has already been pointed out, its reassuring to some people that they do ask for additional authorisation if its for a larger amount.

It could be your credit card company who flagged it as a potentially suspect purchase.

fdevine wrote:
    I have experienced this from other companies and as has already been pointed out, its reassuring to some people that they do ask for additional authorisation if its for a larger amount.

I have no problems with that, not that faxing a (potentially faked) bill is proof of anything, mind you.

What really annoyed me was that they were hiding behind this "address not matching 100%" rubbish, rather than just coming out with it and saying what they were doing. That plus the "computer says no" style responses I got when querying the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

This isn't up to the backend billing system. Its VISA or whoever processes their stuff, usually uses SAP and doesn't show up straight away.

This is normal for every company, Dell and Apple to name two. If it comes back VAN approved then it goes straight through.

Anyways at the end of the day its nothing to do with them, its their processing provider and tbh its necessary when buying on the internet, its to deter credit card fraud.

Getting you to send in a bill with your name and address on it allows the provider, not the retailer verify your identity. So it prevents fraud at both ends, fraudster and fraudulant retailer.

If your not willing to go through these checks then i suggest you go to a local shop and not buy online.

• Advertisement

This isn't up to the backend billing system. Its VISA or whoever processes their stuff, usually uses SAP and doesn't show up straight away.

This is normal for every company, Dell and Apple to name two. If it comes back VAN approved then it goes straight through.

Anyways at the end of the day its nothing to do with them, its their processing provider and tbh its necessary when buying on the internet, its to deter credit card fraud.

Getting you to send in a bill with your name and address on it allows the provider, not the retailer verify your identity. So it prevents fraud at both ends, fraudster and fraudulant retailer.

Sorry, I'm not convinced. If that really is the case, why is this the first time this has happened to me in years of buying stuff off the Internet, with amounts often way in excess of the amount concerned here? Also, how does sending them an easily forged facsimile of a bill prove anything?
    If your not willing to go through these checks then i suggest you go to a local shop and not buy online.

I've been buying items online regularly since it was virtually unheard of to do so, and this is the first time I've been asked for something like this. And if you'd actually read the thread properly, you'll have seen that it wasn't so much them asking for "proof" of my address that peeved me, but the fact that they were claiming that the reason they wanted this was because my given address and the address my card was registered to didn't match 100%, and the subsequent predominantly one-sided conversation, if you can even call it that, with their so-called customer support.

I've had, as you may have done also, experiences on US based e-commerce sites, where my address has become mangled almost beyond recognition by the insistence on entering Zip Code or State fields, and they've never had a problem validating my card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Why not contact your card issuer and ask them why this is happening and to see if there were any attempted transactions on your acc, moaning on about a company because they wanted extra proof of your details is quite frankly nonsense.

This is also not the correct place to be airing this, it is the BARGAIN ALERTS forum after all so maybe mods might find a better place for this... Big Girls Blouses maybe?

/handbag at the ready

moaning on about a company because they wanted extra proof of your details is quite frankly nonsense.
    Please take the time to actually read my posts, and you'll find that that wasn't the actual bone of contention, but the roundabout way they asked for it, quoting some nonsense about addresses not matching, and then not admitting this to my face, when asked. Plus what proof does a faxed bill offer anyway ... answer NONE.

Anyway, I've just ordered the exact same article from another site, and the transaction went through straight away, with no problem whatsoever. Problem solved.
    This is also not the correct place to be airing this, it is the BARGAIN ALERTS forum after all
    I posted it here, because 7dayshop is often touted as a source for everything under the sun here, and I thought I might get something of a response here.
    .. so maybe mods might find a better place for this... Big Girls Blouses maybe?

/handbag at the ready
    I won't even honour that puerile comment with a reply. How old are you, 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

/swings handbag

Moan moan moan!!!

How much more of this do the rest of us have to listen to, yes we understand they pi**ed you off by asking in a round about way for confirmation of your address and yes this may seem a little odd but jeepers get over it, many have had no problem with this company in the past.

And as for the rest of your post, just posting here is giving it the bump it doesn't deserve... Actually your hesitation to prove your address is more a cause for concern and as such I'm glad that they have requested more info from you. Do you actually have the permission of the card holder to use their card???

Actually your hesitation to prove your address is more a cause for concern and as such I'm glad that they have requested more info from you. Do you actually have the permission of the card holder to use their card???
    It's my own card, actually, not that that's any of your business, and if you're reduced to making childish remarks like that to make whatever point it is you're trying to make, just don't bother.

I'm out of here. Bye.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

dell wont ship to a different address to your statement address unless the addess is on file with your card company. This is a pain for those of us who et stuff delivered to work.

Amazon will ship to anywhere.

Some US companies that I last dealt with when the internet was a lad looked for a copy of my passport.

Some companies swallow the risk up to €x00 and after that ask for proof. It makes life easier for us in that we can buy lesser valued items from them even ifwe've never dealt with them before.

So, if at the end of the day they've used wrong terminology , at the end of the same day they've ensured that the card wasn't being used fraudulently which can only be to the card owners benefit.

I can imagine the other scenarios - "45weekstore accepted my card for a 78" plasma without even peforming basic verification "

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

This is also not the correct place to be airing this, it is the BARGAIN ALERTS forum after all so maybe mods might find a better place for this... Big Girls Blouses maybe?
    I moved it to Consumer Issues. We don't have a Big Girls Blouses forum in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

7Dayshop ask for proof of identity if any single item on your order goes over a certain amount. From past experience this amount is £80. If no single item is over £80 then no proof is required, even if the total amount of the order is over £80. I think this is because they use recorded delivery for items over £80 and want to be absolutely sure of your address.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I know both thinkgeek.com and play.com ask for proof from a bank statement, I'd much prefer a company to do it on large orders then not. In fairness its not much work to take a photo of a statement or scan it in anyway

Advertisement