Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian spooks sold the fertiliser to the terror suspects!

Options
  • 05-06-2006 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060605.TERRORMAIN05/TPStory/Nationa

What's clear is that members of the alleged terrorist ring obtained the three tonnes of ammonium nitrate through what is termed "a controlled delivery," commonly deployed in big drug busts, whereby police help arrange the delivery of the contraband (or something resembling it) and then arrest the recipients.

ffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

omigod terrorist found with 3 tonnes of nitrate what shall we do, send it back to the ****ing police

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Essey

Or you can allow them to keep it so they can kill someone - whats your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

did you see all the headlines whe nthis first happened
    Canada arrests terror suspects; explosives found

Thank god, they 'found' those explosives:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Of course, if they had eventually mounted a terrorist attack, lostexpectation would have been on his high horse giving out about police incompetence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

Thank god, they 'found' those explosives:rolleyes:

recovered would have been a better word, anyways its not a big deal, terrorist threat elimated, well done to the police I say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

I dont see the problem here, are you similarly outraged when police set up drug deals or weapons deals to nab gangsters and criminals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

What's clear is that members of the alleged terrorist ring obtained the three tonnes of ammonium nitrate through what is termed "a controlled delivery," commonly deployed in big drug busts, whereby police help arrange the delivery of the contraband (or something resembling it) and then arrest the recipients.

So what you're saying is that the intelligence and police forces between them managed to successfully identify a group who were in the process of setting up a terrorist attack and then over the course of two-ish years keep them contained until they finally brought them down in a sting operation?
    ffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You're right. Those damned Canadians, doing it right. They should have had no clue anything was going on until the buildings were blown up.
    omigod terrorist found with 3 tonnes of nitrate what shall we do, send it back to the ****ing police
    I think you're mistaking what the media reported with what happened. If you look again at the very first few lines of the article you posted, you'll notice that secrecy was a big deal (as it should be) for this operation.

How then can you be surprised that the media weren't in possession of hte full facts within minutes of the story breaking?

I mean...seriously....where's the problem here?

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

who told the media about the 3 tonnes of fertiliser? huh?
    WASHINGTON: Holes are beginning to appear in the official version of the “grand” terrorist conspiracy unearthed in the greater Toronto area, with one Canadian agronomist saying that the three tonnes of ammonium nitrate fertiliser that the alleged terrorists had ordered to blow up the Canadian Parliament and other buildings cannot be found even in the major agricultural province of Saskatchewan.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2006%5C06%5C06%5Cstory_6-6-2006_pg7_7

I know its SOP but one day they are going to egg these guys along, supply them with stuff, lose them and then BOOM!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

who told the media about the 3 tonnes of fertiliser? huh?
    I'd imagine the police did, subsequent to the arrest. Thats pretty normal - letting the public know what you arrested someone for when you announce the arrest.

I still don't see why there's anything wrong with not announcing to the world and its dog at the time of arrest that the entire thing was a sting operation, nor why there's anything wrong with it having been a sting operation in the first place.

In other words...I really don't see where your agitation is coming from.
    I know its SOP but one day they are going to egg these guys along, supply them with stuff, lose them and then BOOM!

Yup. Quite probably....although I would argue that the "egging on" is merely speculative.

The alternative, incidentally, to a controlled operation or sting would seem to be that we don't run stings and hope we can track such people down some other way before they go BOOM.....or we arrest them before they've done anything really serious and hope that they'll drop everything and never make anything go BOOM seeing as we've nothing to hold them for a long term on.

Hardly preferable options.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Hmm, Pakistani news website takes a sympathetic and understanding view of a few poor Pakistani/Pakistani-Canadian jihadi lambs who really wouldn't hurt a fly unless goaded on by the nasty ole EvilWest Canadian police/spooks! What a shocker!

Are you trying to make some kind of point?
    the incident may be the beginning of religiously motivated reprisals against Canada’s over 700,000 Muslims.

The way this stuff gets reported, you'd think a racist pogrom of muslims was always just about to break out in every Western country which Islamic fanatics try to bomb. Ya see, unlike anywhere else in the big wide world, the racists that make up the vast majority of the rabble (err, population, I mean population) in Western countries are always dying for a bad excuse to persecute somebody.

In this case - the big rabid pogrom takes the form of a few thugs, or maybe even only 1 thug smashing windows in a mosque!

So why exactly has Canada become a target now anyway?

They must have oppressed the poor muslim brothers in some way or other, musn't they?
    They didn't invade Iraq but AFAIK they have troops out there who are no doubt looting and killing their way through the poor muslims of Afghanistan right now. That could be it!

Or maybe the Canadian servants of the devil ripped the poor parents of these would-be bombers from their wonderful and contented existance in the heart of a good devout muslim country and made them and their children suffer a miserable half-life in the oppressive anti-muslim prison camp that is modern Canada? Well it is a theory.:)
    A controlled delivery does not constitute police entrapment unless it can be shown that the target was induced to do something he would not otherwise do.

I'm telling yas - they never wanted to build bombs, I'm sure they just wanted to try and buy a job lot of fertiliser for research purposes. A kind of security test if you like. They were doing everyone a favour really and it was all okay - until the heavy-handed police/security people tried to sting these good citizens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wild-in-tent

The Police substituted the fertilizer with duds. The guyz ordered it and the police intercepted as they had a tap on these guys for a while, switched product and delivered it. They made sure that these fellas wouldn't be able to carry through in case there was a glitch. My sister in law is a Canadian Police officer. They prefer to err on the side of safety whenever possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I'm having trouble following this. What EXACTLY is your problem with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Reminds me of when the Gardai 'discovered' drug cache in a truck at Urlingford back in the 90s. The Gards imported the drugs and waited for the crims to turn up to collect it in a sting. They never showed and the Garda had to stage a discovery.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

With the completely trumped up "ricin terror plot", John Menenzes, Moussaoui, Maher Arar..etc...etc you can't blame people for being very sceptical whenever the police start crowing about a "major terrorist plot" especially when the police start leaking information about the suspects.

Advertisement