Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm so scared of the time constraint in English

Options
  • 05-06-2006 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭

Paper 2 I mean. I don't even know about paper 1 really. At the moment I'm not getting essays done in the time allowed...and add that to the fact that my handwriting goes to absolute shíte under pressure, and I could potentially have a big problem.

I'm learning off my comparatives at the moment...hopefully I can blitz them in 15 minutes or so under the time allowed to give me more time elsewhere.

It takes me so long to write up a plan too for my Lear/poetry essay. What the hell will I do. Oh god...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

I was worried about the time too before the mocks. I found myself with plenty of time to spare in the mocks, it was like my writing speed doubled or something. Adrenaline I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

I say ditch the plan, do it in your head really. Write out your plan in the introduction. i always seem to write faster in the exams anyway, the pressure sort of gets my creative juices flowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Suppose...haven't actually sat an english test for a year at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I ususally get stuff done in the time allowed. The comparitive in the mocks was left to the last 20 mins though, but no worries because we hadn't covered it in class back then.

As for planning. I always do one, get a sudden idea that has nothing to do with my current plan, and I'm away in a hack! Everytime the same process, but it gets me the marks so I can't complain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

you'll be GRAAAAAAND for time in Paper 1 :)

we have loads of time.

15 mins on comparative?! jaysus fair play!

if you get that done, you should be grand for timing again

g'luck :D

• Advertisement

Nah, read again "15 minutes under the time allocated"

OOOOOOOOOOOH

ahahahaaaa... i had images of you speed writing or something.
    i am such a gob****e :D

Haha, if I remember correctly you misread a post a few days ago too and verbally attacked some poor girl!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭YeAh!

Funkstard wrote:
    Paper 2 I mean. I don't even know about paper 1 really. At the moment I'm not getting essays done in the time allowed...and add that to the fact that my handwriting goes to absolute shíte under pressure, and I could potentially have a big problem.

I'm learning off my comparatives at the moment...hopefully I can blitz them in 15 minutes or so under the time allowed to give me more time elsewhere.

It takes me so long to write up a plan too for my Lear/poetry essay. What the hell will I do. Oh god...
    The only way to deal with the time constraint is plan out how long you are going to spend on each question and STICK to it.

I was also completely worried about the time in English doing the LC last year and i had absolutely rakes of time so stick to your time plan and you'll be fine!

And another thing, can someone explain to me how it is a measure of our english abilites to cram as many quotes as possible into our head!? We should be allowed have the texts of the play etc in with us, learning off quotes has absolutely no correlation to our level of english, yet thats what it basically comes down to - how many quotes you know

• Advertisement

Funkstard wrote:
    Haha, if I remember correctly you misread a post a few days ago too and verbally attacked some poor girl!

:o
    hehe yeah thats right... im a shockin bad person!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I barely ever know any quotes(and even if I did I rarely use them as it wastes time,switchng between red and blue biro and all that)outside of poetry.Despite that I usually get a B in most essays and never once has the teacher written down that I should put in more quotes.

If we didn't have those extra 20 minutes during the pres then I'll be alright;if we did then I'm screwed.And I never make plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

Rockerette wrote:
    :o
    hehe yeah thats right... im a shockin bad person!

That was hilarious, in fairness a didnt even see it was pass until i read it a second time, and even then it just caught the corner of my eye

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

We have an extra 20 minutes now, if people could do the exam before without the 20mins, it's certainly doable now.

:| wrote:
    That was hilarious, in fairness a didnt even see it was pass until i read it a second time, and even then it just caught the corner of my eye

hehe i was just fed up of Lear questions!
    so I skimmed through it.. and joined the dots in my head and reached the wrong conclusion.. hehee

i admitted my mistake tho and apologies ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭tinka

timing was my biggest problem in the mocks! suddenly i had loads to say and no time to say it so nothing got a proper ending and didn't do the unseen poetry :o oh dear.

Advertisement