Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumping an old TV..

Options
  • 05-06-2006 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

OK heres the deal I bought a new TV back in Jan but never got round to bringing down my old TV down to the shop (I paid the recycling charge WEE)...heres the question......am I within my rights now to bring back the TV to the shop now and leave it there and expect them to take it off my hands??

I still have the receipt of my original purchase if that helps ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It should be OK, I think.

Otherwise a local amenity/recycling centre should take it off your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I'll let you know how I get on so ...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I make a joke to my dad yesterday about a similiar situation, you are welcome to try it. Bu I was only saying it as a joke, it's your decision to do it.

He wanted to get rid of a stero, so I told him to go to Argos buy a new stero (only has to be a cheap one) and leave to old stero behind. Then go back a few days later with the TV unopened and get a refund on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Sizzler wrote:
    OK heres the deal I bought a new TV back in Jan but never got round to bringing down my old TV down to the shop (I paid the recycling charge WEE)...heres the question......am I within my rights now to bring back the TV to the shop now and leave it there and expect them to take it off my hands??

I still have the receipt of my original purchase if that helps ;)
    only if they are a WEE registered retailer

most are eg. power city but if they are not it is now free to dump them at your local city/county recycling center

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Some retailers have a time limit, which I think is only fair (although I don't know the actual legislation as it applies in these circumstances). I've seen one of a month or so, so I'd suggest calling before lugging it all the way down there.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

You've 30 days officially but i cant see them making a fuss either way because if you do your not likely to shop there again

And don't forget your receipt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

THe point is you don't need to bring it to the shop that is just one of the places you can do it at. The WEE charge is for the TV you are buying and to set up the system. In theory the WEE will reduce as costs go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

gillo wrote:
    He wanted to get rid of a stero, so I told him to go to Argos buy a new stero (only has to be a cheap one) and leave to old stero behind. Then go back a few days later with the TV unopened and get a refund on it.

I like the way your mind works...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

If it's still working, might I suggest that you post on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LeinsterFreecycle/

It's a great way to recycle old (working) items to people who want them.. free of charge.

• Advertisement

Or Freeb.ie, said the pimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Hagar wrote:
    I like the way your mind works...;)
    Like the mind; I highly recommend the body ;)

If you are based in Dublin, and once the TV is in PWO, you can give it to the VDP, they have a second hand shop somewhere in town. I'll try finding out where.

This way not only do you get rid of it, but you do spread a bit of goodness also.

EDIT: I meant to say that the VDP have a specific store for furniture, electricial goods etc

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Some charity shops may not take electrical goods for safety reasons...

Advertisement