Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rushed legislation is nearly always bad

Options
  • 05-06-2006 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭

We are startng to see now that the hysteria is starting to calm down a bit why rushed legislation is a bad idea

Not only do we have the nonsensical situation that consenual between two 16 year olds is a crime for the boy but not for the ( apparently because they did not want to criminalise motherhood seems it is perfectly fine to criminalise fatherhood)

Now we also see that certain non penatration acts between an older person and boys is no longer illegal.

It seems that Joe Duffy and the tabloids are setting the agenda for our government now from magic s to statuatory .

Dermot Ahern was on the radio today talking about a referendum to return the situation to the pre supreme court decision.

In my opinion the supreme court made a perfectly reasonable decision that if you honestly did not know the age of the you could not be guilty of . I have faith in judges and juries to see the cases that this could apply to.

Mc dowell scare mongering performance in the Dail where he tried to justify his lack of previous action as conern for young s is frankly the loophole that the supreme court opened would only apply in very limited cases it would never be the case that a person known to the could argue genuine mistake. The vast majority of statuatory cases are where the accused was known to the victim ie relation,neighbour, teacher, etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭coolhandluke

The treatment of males in this country has surely become an issue for the European courts of justice at this stage,especially in regard to the family law courts.
    On a side issue can someone please explain to me how if two sixteen year olds have sex the boy has commited a crime and the girl hasn't,yet were constantly told young girls are far more mature than young boys ?.Are the feminists running this country or did i miss something ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

There is a substantial amount of knee-jerk legislation put in place in the world because of a political pressure to be seen to be doing something now.

Problem is that once it's in place, it's bloody hard to change.

NTM

Advertisement