Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picture Darker wih Video Sender

• 05-06-2006 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi.

Im using the €49.95 video sender from Argos, and in general its excellent. I have a scart coming from my Pioneer 530DVD, to the scart splitter, and then another scart from splitter to TV. It works perfectly and I can view Sky and my DVD in the other room, and control BOTH Sky and the Pioneer with the 6.99 universal remote I got in Lidl.

So whats the problem then, I hear you say. Well, the picture is a bit darker through the video sender. Im also a bit suspicious that its a bit....duller, almost at times with a slight fog or haze effect in it. Now dont get me wrong, this fog/haze thing is just my way of describing it! Im not even sure it exists. But definitely the picture is a bit darker, and even maybe, stronger in colour.
    It is difficult to improve it even adjusting the TV. Its probably because I havent got direct RGB by coming through the splitter.

Now its not bad at all, and if you didnt see the "direct to TV" picture you probably wouldnt comment at all.

i can get a normal picture by connecting the sender to the TV scart instead, and Sky box to sender (spare scart back of sky). This way I dont get the DVD picture sent, and also I have a slight shadow/ghosting on my main TV pic!

Anyone any experience or suggestions? Or is this a trade-off I have to make for such luxury?!

kevin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Can you describe the splitter ? Does it need an external PSU ?

I'm guessing here that it's a passive device and doesn't buffer the outputs or provide any equalisation af any kind. This means that the signal coming from the source is divided between the two devices you are feeding, i.e. the Sender and any other device connected to the second output. The proof here is when you connect the sender directly to the source without the splitter. The result is lower contrast which seems to be what you describe.
    A better quality splitter may provide the features mentioned above and solve your problem.

One other thing, are you sure the device you have is a video OUT splitter and not a video IN splitter, e.g. a source selector.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭hawthorn

Well the splitter is part of the sender unit. The splitter connects to the sender vis 3 (or is it 4) coloured leads. Then the scart from the DVD goes into the splitter and one goes out from there to the TV. So the splitter is part of the unit.

It wasnt an expensive unit, just around €45. Maybe its the splitter is the problem, dont know. But i cant change it without getting a new unit.

Its not terrible, just strong in colour and a bit duller. i did of course adjust contrast etc but while it imporved it, it still isnt as good as it should be.

kevin

Oh, the power supply just plugs into the sender itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Initially I thought it's just a cheap and cheerful unit but you say the signal improves if you dont use the splitter so I'm guessing that's where the issue is here. Can you post a link to the unit or maybe give me the maker and model number ?

ZEN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

hawthorn wrote:
    ...Its not terrible, just strong in colour and a bit duller. i did of course adjust contrast etc but while it imporved it, it still isnt as good as it should be...

I suspect this is because it is being transmitted as Composite (yellow coloured lead) from end to end (rather than Component/RGB or S-Video - it might even be down to RF quality???).

To test this, If you have a pair of scart to RCA adapter like these (or even a scart lead that you can guarantee only composite signal on) and run it between the two devices that the sender is communicating between. If the picture is the same then it is the quality of the composite image that you don't like, if it is better then it is the quality of the video sender that is letting the picture deteriorate.

L.

• Advertisement

Thanks so far, all.

I'll do what you say later on and report back.

at €45 i didnt expect it to be fantastic, and to be honesy id be greatly satisfied with this quality of picture, in the SECOND room, if you know what I mean! And I did expect some loss of quality but not on my main TV.

I do suspect it is something to do with RGB composite etc.

k

Zener

When I say the picture improves, thats if i dont run it through the DVD, but instead take a scart from SKY to the senders splitter, and one from splitter to TV. Actually why do you have to connect to the TV at all, if youre taking if from SKY (or even from DVD)?

Now, the "manual", an A4 folded sheet (!), says its Philex Electronics, God knows who they are! But i do have a website for them!

http://technical.philex.com

and a local Uk rate phone number-Im impressed!

The model numbers listed are
    27988R
    27984R
    27988HS

also on the bottom of the sender and the receiver there is a little switch with settings 1,2,3 and 4. I have them both at 1.

regards

k

Hi

Heres the link to the site, mine is the Video sender on the left! They look quite a decent company, actually. Ive emailed them so I'll see if they respond.

K

Advertisement