Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identifying Garden Plants & Shrubs

• 05-06-2006 9:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

I moved house about 9 months ago. The house I moved into is 40+ years old and has a beautiful garden. I'm looking for a good website to help me identify the plants and shrubs so as I can learn a bit more about them.

Can anyone recommend a good website for this purpose? I'd like one that will allow me to identify them from photos if possible. I've tried some sites but they are a bit hit and miss, tbh.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Check out the Royal Horticultural Society's Plant Selector and input the relevant characteristics.

Also, there are a number of RHS books available from libraries/bookshops that allow you to look up a plant by its various identifying characteristics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

This is a really good site. I use it all the time to ID plants. Supermarkets don't supply labels with alot of the plants they sell.
    You take a photo, reduce the size to under 65KB ( I think) and then upload the image. I have always got a reply within a very short space of time.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/namegal/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Hey, thanks for those links. I'll try them out and see if I can come up with names.

Advertisement