Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heart Attack help

• 05-06-2006 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My brother in law, aged 39, has had a heart attack.
    He is now home and emotionally finding it difficult to cope as is his wife.
    Does anyone know of agencies, helplines, discussions board that they could contact?
    I've looked at the heart foundation website but there's nothing there.
    They really need to contact someone as it's causing problems and they don't know how to cope.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

His doctor or hospital should be able to put him in touch with someone. This is quite common following heart attacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would suggest that you get in touch with your local health clinc as they will have a list of groups and rescourse for you local area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,801 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Crea:

I know what your brother-in-law is going through. I went through the same myself when I was 26. The first few months after can be hell trying to come to terms with it psychologically.

I'd very strongly suggest that he or his wife get in touch with their GP immediately. I'm not sure what support groups there may be around the country. I had mine when living in England & the local health authority had a group called Active Hearts that met once a week.

Each week there was a talk/discussion about certain aspects of heart disease & then cardiovascular training (they provided a program based on your level of fitness & how long it was since your "episode") & meditation.

I had a real chip on my shoulder coz of my age - lots of "Why me?", "I'm fcuked forever!", "My life is over!" etc. But when you get to see a couple of blue-rinsed 80+ year olds giving it socks on a rowing machine - you think "If they can get on with it - so the hell can I!"

If his GP can get him in touch with a similar support group - it should help him out a lot. Also, he may need his meds checked.

If he needs to talk I'd be quite happy to have a chat with him. PM me & let me know.

He definitely should speak with a professional though.

Advertisement