Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What now?

Options
  • 05-06-2006 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Just lookin for advice if anyone would be so kind.
    I got put on the car insurance while the parentals were away. (so i could get around etc.) So I was in a carpark today I won't go into detail about where and why or exactly what happened or anything cos there's no need but anyway in the end i scraped off a parked car, not a full head on collision or anything just a bit of contact. I had a quick look out and didn't see any damage. But i kinda panicked too and since i didnt see anything wrong with the car i drove off. Now I don't want people giving me grief for that, I know it was wrong, I should have got out and left details etc. but before today I would have thought thats exactly what I would do, and will in future.

So a few hours later a guard knocks at the door to let me know that there was a dent on the car and it was on cctv etc. I told her the story and she was really nice as pie about it. And just mentioned that it was an offence to leave the scene. It wasn't in a "you're going downtown punk!" kinda way, she just mentioned it.

I haven't had my licence for long and this is the first time anything like this has happened so I'm not too sure of the whole process. I have ten days to produce licence and insurance details, and the guard said they'd give me the contact details of the other party. The parents are back tomorrow, what are the chances that I produce, everything is grand licence and insurance up to scratch, (which it all is) and i contact the other party and sort out the damage. (I have a few grand saved up that i was gonna put towards a car for myself but i can forget about that now.) And it all gets sorted out without my parents finding out? My parents car is grand, that wont be noticed.

And if all that is sorted will it be the case that there's no more said about the leaving the scene part?

I'm just looking for advice so as I've said please dont post saying 'you sap you should have stopped' etc. I know it was wrong and I'm gonna have to pay for it, I'm trying to see how this will all go.

Sorry about the long post. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you didn't see any damage, it's unlikely you'll be facing a huge repair bill, you may be better off to settle outside of insurance - depending on what sort of character owned the other car.

YOu have to tell your parents, these things have a habit of resurfacing after a while, as you said there is no damage to your parents car, so it isn't too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

i'd say it to your parents, chances are they'll find out anyway.

anyway yeh if you produce all your details and there in order then you'll be fine, nothing will happen, you'll just have to sort out the damages yourself

Advertisement