Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your view on the new Irish Syllabus

Options
  • 05-06-2006 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Post your views on the new Irish syllabus (higher and ordinary).

My View:

Paper two is a farce. too much stuff. All pointless. Poems that mobody can understand. The course leads to rote learning and there isn't a chance for students to express their own opinions because they dont have a fúcking clue what they're on about.

What do you think of new Irish syllabus? 52 votes

Is great
    0%
    Pathetic
    9%
    fearcruachThe GnomeConor hThrownAwayLamph 5 votes
    Needs to be changed
    17%
    ZeuzShrimpLord OzOctavarIantolosencwillowmegsNADABMHwhassupp2 9 votes
    What the fcuk were they thinking?
    42%
    ZeuzRockeretteflynnser19DemonOfTheFalldeisedollyGlazunLord OzOctavarIanMordecaieamosstinkaGarrettolosenccianclarkeMuiriosabrid_mBMHThrownAwaywhassupp2niamhy101 22 votes
    I like it
    30%
    smemonStringZeuzThE_IVIAcIVIAIVd4gurlGlazunLord OzOctavarIanAzureustolosencPezRob30888brid_mBMHwhassupp2Nerd007 16 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

I like it
    paper two is so (insert bad word here) and i hate it so much! nearly got full marks in paper 1 and tape test in mocks! paper 2 just screwed me up the ass! it took my anal virginity! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Pez

I like it
    lol!! yeah!! i got a B in both the tape and paper 1 in the mocks and paper 2 brought me dwn to a C3! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

What are they thinking with history of irish ? It makes me want to puke trying to learn all that rubbish.

Also, Uirchill an Creagain ? and that other one about the flight of the earls ?
    what steaming pieces of crap...

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

I like it
    The Department must be laughing their tits off at how they've ****ed us all over again with this "new course" :rolleyes:

Irish as a choice all the way from now on :D

I'm disgusted that the petition on Bebo to keep it forced on students has almost 2000 signatures :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you genuinely have a problem with a syllabus, write to the NCCA in Merrion Square.

Avoid intemperate language and suggest alternative areas to the ones you have issues with.

Bebo petitions and ranting here will make no difference. Contact the people who are responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

Pez wrote:
    lol!! yeah!! i got a B in both the tape and paper 1 in the mocks and paper 2 brought me dwn to a C3! :mad:

hehe i was the opposite... i was on a C1, and paper 2 brought me up to a B2 :D

it needs to be changed, but i dont think it's any worse than it was.

Paper 1 is fine, as is the listening. Just cut down the stuff on Paper 2, and i dunno... do somethign about the oral so thats its not just 12 mins of forced silly conversation.
    i dunno how you'd do that.. but well.. hhmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭tinka

ooh multiple choice poll! anyway, i dislike the course. the poetry is abysmal - gealt?? for god's sake! ugh i hate that poem with a passion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Muiriosa

The course is simply too vast for those doing it the first year - there should be something certain.

Even all the essays - we haven't a clue, we're in the dark.

Stair - is really off the walls madness, why? why? why? it's just a memory test.

Okay i better go and cool down, I feel a "king lear madness moment" coming on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

I like it
    LIG SIN I GCATHú

need i say anymore?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

I like it
    I agree with whassup2!WTF??? Its way too much to learn! I mean the irsih paper two is far more intense then english paper two! Its ridiculous!!!

• Advertisement

I like it
    in fairness i think its at the required standard of irish..just too much stuff of no intrest. how can the expect people to follow irish to 3rd level if the LC is as appaling as it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

I like it
    It's bad alright. They're shooting themselves in the foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Needs to be changed
    Can somebody like me to that Bebo partition. I wanna express my disgust to all them provo's.

just cos you support the language NADA, doesnt make you a provo...! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

whassupp2 wrote:
    LIG SIN I GCATHú

need i say anymore?????
    That reminds me of a song we had to sing in our 6th class mass back in primary

lig sin i gcathu ach saare i sin oooh hulk

I like it
    It reminds me of a pathetic irish story that would bore 90 year old nuns in a nursing home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Muiriosa

whassupp2 wrote:
    It reminds me of a pathetic irish story that would bore 90 year old nuns in a nursing home

Thanks for the laugh. I actually did laugh out loud there!! Let's just hope that balls of a story don't come up on Friday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

Pathetic
    Nah i think the course is fine. Its ok if you start studying early and get on top of it. The pass poems apart from Bísme Buan Ag Buairt are fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

NADA wrote:
    Can somebody like me to that Bebo partition. I wanna express my disgust to all them provo's.

Yes, because everyone who wnats to maintain our language is a provo. Well some of us do german, does that make us nazis. STFU!!!!!!!

OT:The course is too vast and it really does leave itself with little defence against arguments but all i've heard is moaning. No-one has offered any solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭brid_m

I like it
    It seriously needs to be changed, there's just way too much to learn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

fearcruach wrote:
    Nah i think the course is fine. Its ok if you start studying early and get on top of it. The pass poems apart from Bísme Buan Ag Buairt are fine.

What's wrong with that poem? Pretty simple...the whole country's sad and nature is emulating their sadness....the honours poems are a big pile of shíte though....and of course, Lig Sinn i gCathú. UGH! And what's with that story about the hen? It's so stupid, but pretty funny..'We all celebrated when Oisín won the medal for best cock' and 'Little Cock sat down shyly at the bar.' Heh.

Stair na Teanga is alright, particulary Ogham and the Ruraíocht.....that said, I'm only in 5th year, so the worst is still to come really.

I think the course is fine really, though I think the novel thing (An Triail is ours) is pushing it a bit too far, they should just leave it at the poetry and stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I hate the literature course, hate it. Unless you have a very high level of Irish (so high that an exam in it at this level is fairly pointless), Stair na Teanga basically comes down to learning by rote. I reckon the majority of students don't even understand what they are trying to learn off. I'm sure the quality of the short stories isn't representative of others in the language, but they really are terrible. Lig Sinn i gCathú, Fiche Bliain ag Fás and An Cearrbhach Mac Cába are disgraceful. An Bhean Óg is even decent in comparison.

Clare sa Spéir is shameful, simply shameful.

They really would put you off Irish short stories. There is nothing wrong with the poems' quality, but to expect anyone to learn so many is unfair. With those 9 mark questions that test your understanding of certain lines, you have to know every line of the poems, not to mention information on an infinite number of aspects of poetic technique. And you can only leave out like 2 poems. It really is unfair.

The course seems as it's designed to challenge those verging on fluent, when in reality it should be aimed at people at more average standards. After all, the entire point of keeping Irish compulsory is precisely to inspire an interest in the language, right?

Clare sa Spéir, holy ****ing Jesus.

An Bhean Óg is even decent in comparison....

.....There is nothing wrong with the poems' quality, but to expect anyone to learn so many is unfair. With those 9 mark questions that test your understanding of certain lines, you have to know every line of the poems, not to mention information on an infinite number of aspects of poetic technique. And you can only leave out like 2 poems. It really is unfair.

an bhean óg is a terrible story! (imo) in fact, there is no story! i find it impossible to write a developed answer in any kind of depth about it.

also, any poem that there's a question on appears on the paper.. so no need really to learn them all off but just to understand them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

It's hard to write on....what the hell are the themes? Lonelineness...blah. Lig Sinn i gCathú....oh god. An Chearrbhach Mac Cábá is so easy! We watched Clare sa Spéir..it was kinda funny. Especially the part where she's "watching" Coronation Street in the TV in the crate..but there's no wires coming out of the TV..haha.

I agree, the short stories are of terrible quality...most of them are stupid, especially the hen one. A cursed chicken, JESUS. They really delved deep for that one..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

tinka wrote:
    an bhean óg is a terrible story! (imo) in fact, there is no story! i find it impossible to write a developed answer in any kind of depth about it.

also, any poem that there's a question on appears on the paper.. so no need really to learn them all off but just to understand them.

I agree that by most standards, an bhean óg is a terrible story. But comparatively, it's the best on the course imo, or at least the least headslappingly stupid.

Understanding them is difficult enough though, especially since the language is often very difficult, particularly some of the older poems.

I agree that by most standards, an bhean óg is a terrible story. But comparatively, it's the best on the course imo, or at least the least headslappingly stupid.

Understanding them is difficult enough though, especially since the language is often very difficult, particularly some of the older poems.

i see what you mean about the older poems. úirchill an chreagáin would probably be the best example of that.

(i still think an bhean óg is god awful even by the standard on the course!)

I like it
    Irish paper 2 tomorrow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

I like it but only because its a joke

I could have passed this thing in 5th class id say all joking aside

i learnt a sceal at the mocks and stuck it down wrote a litir which was pretty easy and the comprehensions where really easy as well. Aural was decent enough and my oral was okish and im not gonna bother with paper 2 will be outta there in 25mins

because the ordinary paper is a piece of crap that anyone could pass it means i havent had to do any irish in the last 6 years still pass it every time and not go to irish class for the last 3 months is this the bestest system or what

for those that actually care and what to "do there best" irish aint the subject for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Mordecai

The strangest thing about the Irish syllabus is why they do 1 poem or 2 from 12 or 11 different poets. It should be more like the English course where you study poets, but obv not in the same detail.

A separate course for Gaeilgoiri is necessary and the decapitation of whoever keeps Stair na Gaeilge on the course. It's easy, but utterly useless and retrograde.

What else? Oh yeah, I resented the ppl in my Irish class who held me back because they simply slowed the teacher down, An Cearrbhach hsa no merits of any kind, and if that's the best they can give students from the supposedly rich Irish literary heritage, they may as well stop. Lig sinn i gCathú is the first chapter of a novel so it's hard to judge fairly, I think.

• Advertisement

looking back on it now, after all teh exams.. its not actually that bad

i never stressed myself out learning about the poems, but i managed a pretty decent question on them, just with a basic knowledge, and some ok irish
    same with teh stories, and knowing the plot of an triail, and having a functionaing brain means you can answer the questions on it

thinkin about things yourself instead of tryin to learn off notes is so much easier

the thoughts of it was much worse than the actual exam.
    since 5th year i've been like "oh god.. irish 2 is gonna be the worst exam ever...", but it was grand!

im probably in the minority though...

Advertisement