Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your view on the new Irish Syllabus

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Rockerette wrote:
    looking back on it now, after all teh exams.. its not actually that bad

i never stressed myself out learning about the poems, but i managed a pretty decent question on them, just with a basic knowledge, and some ok irish
    same with teh stories, and knowing the plot of an triail, and having a functionaing brain means you can answer the questions on it

thinkin about things yourself instead of tryin to learn off notes is so much easier

the thoughts of it was much worse than the actual exam.
    since 5th year i've been like "oh god.. irish 2 is gonna be the worst exam ever...", but it was grand!

im probably in the minority though...
    I can see where your coming from, have a fairly good understanding of the stuff in english, be able to write down your answer in simple enough irish, throw in a few fancy words and phrases from the notes, don't try to learn chunks of notes. Thats what I did but sometimes i thought to myself this paper two is a load of rubbish and i didn't kill myself for it, i'll probably get a C in the Lc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I like it
    I did Pass Irish, so I can't vouch for the hons course. But from what I can see it is dominated by stuff that has to be learned off. The pass course has stuff to learn, but not much emphasis on it at all. 2 years learning work only counts for 18% of the whole thing ffs.

I would think the people who set the course could do from taking a look at the french course. There is no learning off poetry or stories or anything in that course, even the document for the oral is optional. Focus is entirely on the language, the way it should be.

Also I'd like to add, Irish poetry and literature sucks. An bhean óg, wtf was the point of that? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

What the fcuk were they thinking?
    OctavarIan wrote:
    I would think the people who set the course could do from taking a look at the french course. There is no learning off poetry or stories or anything in that course, even the document for the oral is optional. Focus is entirely on the language, the way it should be.

i said this before, but i think the french course is a joke

i have a ****e ability to speak and understand French, yet i got a 72% in the higher level mocks.
    you can take a complete guess for the comprehensions if you dont have a clue; half the time a complete answer taken straight from the text seems to do

the written pieces, 90 words? cmon... hardly challenging..

obviously i know i'll never get an A, and i'll be maybe a bit lucky to get a B, but i'm aiming for a B3 again, and its likely, that without putting in hardly any effort of the last 2 years, i'll get it, or somewhere near it

at least i can speak Irish, have a helluvva lot more vocab, and care more about grammar, compared to French

thats just me though, and im sure most of ye are different
    its probably influeced by the fact i hate the language aswell.... :rolleyes:

Advertisement