Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading from windows98 to XP

Options
  • 05-06-2006 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Has anyone any experience the would like to share in the above changeover? I've got an old pc that I'm thinking of changing it around a bit, and some applications no-longer run on win98.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It's unlikely you have the resources to get anything out of XP. And your hardware is probably not compatible. Go the the MS site and run the compatibility test.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭38141

Yeah I was wondering if I'd only be creating more problems than I'd solve by purchasing the xp software.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

this should probably be in the computers - windows forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭juddd

I bought the xp home upgrade version when I had win 98, there were no problems with any of the applications after the upgrade, just slap in the xp cd and let it run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Generally I have found that a complete wipe and fresh install yields better results than an upgrade.
    A lot more work backing up data, reinstalling apps etc. but a better install in the end.

• Advertisement
Advertisement