Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I've finally updated my PSP

• 06-06-2006 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

I've been hanging on to homebrew for quite a while but I just couldn't resist that Loco Roco demo and finally succumbed to the inevitable tonight.

So the question is, with a list of a million things added to the PSP's functionality in the update, is any of it actually useful. Who uses their PSP's to browse the web? Any good PSP-centric websites? Anything worth checking out? Or is it, as I expect, all just an excuse for the security updates that come with the new firmware?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

You get the warm tingly feeling one can only achieve when they've been well and truely conned:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Mwahaha... /strokes his Jap 2.0 PSP.

Not really though, that'd be a bit weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Thought so. Mine was 1.0 when I originally got it.

I'd take homebrew over the web browser/rss reader and all that crap, but sadly new firmware is a requirement for new PSP games and all the 16-bit games in the world aren't worth denying myself Locoroco for.

If anyone hasn't played the demo, get it! It's just an absolutely perfect handheld game. Can't wait for the full version to be released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

steviec wrote:
    but sadly new firmware is a requirement for new PSP games and all the 16-bit games in the world aren't worth denying myself Locoroco for.

If anyone hasn't played the demo, get it! It's just an absolutely perfect handheld game. Can't wait for the full version to be released.

Sony shill! :p

Seriously though, sorry about your downgrading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 TheMasterG

steviec wrote:
    ...So the question is, with a list of a million things added to the PSP's functionality in the update, is any of it actually useful. Who uses their PSP's to browse the web? Any good PSP-centric websites? Anything worth checking out? Or is it, as I expect, all just an excuse for the security updates that come with the new firmware?

Well I haven't used pre 2.0 s/w so can't comment on homebrew but I find the PSP better and better the more I use it. Have free wifi at home now thanks to the neighbours and the PSP is class for browsing most sites. Few PSP specific sites about too like www.perooz.com and all the PSP mag sites are good. With online play coming to more and more games like Syphon Filter I'm liking the PSP more and more :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭MrVestek

steviec wrote:
    Thought so. Mine was 1.0 when I originally got it.

I'd take homebrew over the web browser/rss reader and all that crap, but sadly new firmware is a requirement for new PSP games and all the 16-bit games in the world aren't worth denying myself Locoroco for.

Not true, using a program like DevHook or UMD Loader you can load UMDs like Grant Theft Auto and The Sims two which require 2.0+ or in The Sims case... 2.5 firmware.

I can currently boot to the 2.5 firmware from my 1.5 firmware and then load The Sims 2 from UMD using default settings.

You guys should check out the latest news on www.psp-hacks.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i upgraded my psp today to play the loco roco demo... so happy i did it. loco roco's 5 minute demo is better then any choppy emulation out there :D

I can play Snes, Genesis (Mega Drive) and PSOne (yes I did say PSOne) games all at full speed on my PSP, and they're only the emulators I pay attention to.

Tell me, what is this choppy emulation of which you speak? I've certainly never encountered it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 TheMasterG

Hopefully we'll all be playing PS1 games soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Achilles wrote:
    I can play Snes, Genesis (Mega Drive) and PSOne (yes I did say PSOne) games all at full speed on my PSP, and they're only the emulators I pay attention to.

Tell me, what is this choppy emulation of which you speak? I've certainly never encountered it.

is there a ps1 emulator now? havent played my psp since january but i kept it at 2.0 so i could easily downgrade it if i wanted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Cabelo

I've got LocoRoco running on my 1.5

Devhook to 2.00/2.5 and DL the ISO rebuild version with the 2.0 prxs.

Lovely game. I'm running 2.5 very effectively and loving Socom online.

It's 1.5 all the way gents. Achilles is right.

Yup, 1.5 all the way. It took a long time coming but now that the loading of 2.5 firmware is possible from within 1.5 there's no stopping us. No need to upgrade, no need to use a modchip.

Sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Achilles wrote:

the snes one was quite good, the genesis one had horrendous sound and when i had a psOne emu it was ropey as hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

To be fair the latest build of the snes emulator really is fantastic. great functionality, full speed, vs. games over adhoc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

This supposed new exploit could silence all the update nay-sayers in one foul swoop.

Advertisement