Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-piercing tongue

Options
  • 06-06-2006 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

I've had a browse and can't find any previous threads on this subject, but apologies if I've missed something.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has any experience with having their tongue re-pierced after allowing it to heal up? I had to let my piercing go some time ago (sob, etc.) due to various reasons that were beyond my control, and I've now decided it's high time I got it back.

However, I have heard/read about various stories of difficulties with piercing the scar tissue that is left (and of course because of the nature of the piercing it is often not possible to relocate it safely - assuming you want it in the same general area, which I do).

I have been told that it can be quite painful the second time round (I'm not really bothered about this bit tbh), and also that some piercers can be reluctant to do it and/or if they do go ahead with it various problems can be encountered afterwards, such as migration, etc. (I should add that I have allowed the scar tissue to heal for over two years, so it's quite safe by now.)

As with most things I'm told by randomers I'm taking this with a pinch of salt until I hear from somebody in the know.
    I know my best bet is to go and speak to a piercer about my specific case, so please don't remind me of that :p I just want to get a rough idea of whether there's much truth to the things I've heard or not beforehand.

Can anybody shed any light on this for me? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I know I could just do some more research for myself online, but I'm coming up with very mixed results so I'd prefer to hear it directly from somebody with personal experience before I go any further. It's always better to talk to people rather than just read random stuff :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭!_Brian_!

Unless you have some serious scarring it should be fine but really the best thing to do is call into a piercer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

I know my best bet is to go and speak to a piercer about my specific case, so please don't remind me of that
    Thanks though :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭netanyahu

weird i was thinking about this the other day
    i have my tongue pierced and you know when you take the bar out and give it a good gropin it feels weird, like theres a wee piece of hard tubing or something... (am i mangled???) my first impression would be that it would be dodge to get it pierced right in the same place...the skin toughens harder then it was before it was ever pierced if my brain serves me well.. ahh who am i kidding, im not too sure now to be honest but i cant imagine it would be a good thing...meh

looks like you have no choice but to go ask a piercer

good luck with that ??:confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i put mine back in about a month or so ago, after having it out for about 2 1/2 years :eek: i must have super slow recovery powers

Wow el rabitos, that's pretty impressive! Some people/piercings just never heal up properly. I've had a few of my cartilage piercings out for almost a year and they're showing no signs of closing up.

netanyahu, I know the "lump" you're talking about. This happens with quite a lot of piercings if they're not done properly or if you body reacts badly to them, and in most cases is just a keloid or hypertrophic scar. So no, you're probably not mangled :) Fortunately though I didn't have this problem, so hopefully that won't be an issue.

Edit: That's not to say you shouldn't get it checked out if you become worried about it at all, or it increases in size or gets infected or anything. In very rare cases it can be something more serious. Just to cover my back :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

have u tried just forcing it back through?....might shred a few stray nerves and lose ur sence of taste, but sure at least you'll save some cash :D

Heh. Nah, it's very much closed up. I'm well and truly done with my DIY piercing* days thanks very much :)

*I also really, really don't recommend this.

Advertisement