Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SxS or O/U

Options
  • 06-06-2006 6:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

I have already decided that the double barrel im getting will preferably have double triggers.

But yet one question remains and its wrecking my head the last three or four days(had i have been able to get to the shop last thurs it would be a mute point).

An SxS or an O/U?,

I am getting it specifically for game. I would like it to take magnums. Talking to friends(and friends of friends) over the weekend they all reckon O/U but i dont know, aesthetically i like SxS. But im still not settled, probably wont fully settle till i get to the shop and have a feel for the guns they have and decide.

But, for arguements sake whats your opinion???

SxS or O/U ?????????

Any experiences, opinions, preferences welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

If you're settled on double triggers, then it's pretty much gotta be a side-by-side, there aren't many double trigger o/u shotguns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

civdef wrote:
    If you're settled on double triggers, then it's pretty much gotta be a side-by-side, there aren't many double trigger o/u shotguns.

Hit the nail on the head there Civdef,
    now the problem will arise as the o.p. wants a gun to fire magnums...
    Newby, make sure that when you buy check that the gun is chambered for magnum loads.
    Not all (but most) side by side guns in Ireland have 70mm (2 3/4") chambers, others may even have 65mm chambers.
    Make sure the gun is suitable and capable of firing ammunition safely for the job you going to ask it to do.

I still scratch my head and wonder why that lovely 391 you have is going back on the shelf.........and the thought of magnums through a light side by side is making my jaw and shoulder twinge in anticipation for what it is going to feel like for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

you'd want to shoot a side by side before buying one they are way different than a o/u or auto if you've being using a single barrel id go for the o/u id had a go of a side by side and found the balance to be weird didnt like the grips and the field of view restricted with the barrels plus not being able to hit a thing and the added recoil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I still scratch my head and wonder why that lovely 391 you have is going back on the shelf.........and the thought of magnums through a light side by side is making my jaw and shoulder twinge in anticipation for what it is going to feel like for you.

I'd agree with that
    ...most guns are chambered for 2 3/4" but some bigger cartridges in the magnum side of things ( 0's for example) are 3"
    that semi I'm sure is chambered for 3" (?) and prob a much more heavy duty gun, that said not so convenient for game shooting
    In answer to your other ques I much prefer the o/u haven't done much with s/s but 2 triggers would wreck my head I'm so used of my single trigger and I love the barrel selector on it (I'd imagine more convenient than 2 triggers) :rolleyes:

On a side note I think it takes time to get used of guns, whatever you use....give yourself plenty of time ...don't expect to hit everything first time
    A man once said to me RE: foxes
    Don't worry about missin' them, anyone can miss, just don't let the b*s**rds outsmart you !!!
    :D:D

Advertisement