Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crystal Palaces new manager is....

• 06-06-2006 9:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭

either going to be Greame Souness or former AC Milain manager Alberto Zaccheroni by the looks of things

from skysports...
    Crystal Palace director of football Bob Dowie claims that the club are talking to a massive international name about the vacant manager's job.
    The position at Palace has been vacant ever since Dowie's brother Iain left to become manager of Charlton, causing a public feud between him and Palace chairman Simon Jordan.
    Jordan has already admitted that he is interested in possibly bringing in ex-Newcastle manager Graeme Souness and is set to cut his seven-man short-list down to four this week.
    Dowie, who is assisting Jordan in the search for a new manager, said: "We initially drew up a list of seven candidates, all of whom were discussed. One is a massive name from abroad.
    "This will be reduced to four, when this is done, we should be in a better position to know who our next manager will be."

i can't find an online source for the Zaccheroni story but apparantly it's in a few newspapers this morning. Please God don't let it be Souness, you just know his first signing will be Boumsong if he goes to the Eagles, i would prefer to see Palace in divison 2 tbh.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Football 365 says Zach is in the frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

personally i wouldn't mind seeing Southgate take over the reigns. I doubt he will be the next manager of Boro and his position is a threat at CB too, although he more than likely will take up a coaching role with Boro while he is groomed for the managers position imo.

do you have a link for the the football 365 article? i couldn't find it on their site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

personally i wouldn't mind seeing Southgate take over the reigns. I doubt he will be the next manager of Boro and his position is a threat at CB too, although he more than likely will take up a coaching role with Boro while he is groomed for the managers position imo.

do you have a link for the the football 365 article? i couldn't find it on their site.

Southgate cant be a manager, he doesnt have the correct badges and it will take him up to 2 years at best to get them so isnt allowed to work as a manager!!

he is working on the badges as far as i know and palace are in the champo so there are different rules regarding mangers (are you saying he can't be Boro manager or Palace manger actually? , because i know he can't be Boro manager)

Getting in Alberto Zaccheroni is a bad idea imo, how much does an Italian manager know about the championship and teams such as Grimbsy and Cardif? not a lot i would imagine. The last time we had an italian manger we had a disaster (Lombardo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

he is working on the badges as far as i know and palace are in the champo so there are different rules regarding mangers (are you saying he can't be Boro manager or Palace manger actually? , because i know he can't be Boro manager)

Getting in Alberto Zaccheroni is a bad idea imo, how much does an Italian manager know about the championship and teams such as Grimbsy and Cardif? not a lot i would imagine. The last time we had an italian manger we had a disaster (Lombardo)

Well arnt all managers in UK have to be part of the LMA's which has the same rules across all divisions? I didnt think they had different rules depending on whta level you start at. Bit of a joke if they do....I took it that if he cant be boro manager then he cant be Palace manager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Big Nelly wrote:
    Southgate cant be a manager, he doesnt have the correct badges and it will take him up to 2 years at best to get them so isnt allowed to work as a manager!!
    Newcastle and the Roeder situation may have opened a pandora's box here, now every club that wants to do the same thing (like Boro wanting to appoint Southgate) will say, "Well, Newcastle appointed Roeder even though he wasn't qualified".
    As for Palace, well, Souness doesn't have many fans around the place but I guess he can point to his CV and say he got Blackburn from the first division to Europe. Less of a risk than getting a former Serie A manager into the Championship imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Please God don't let it be Souness, you just know his first signing will be Boumsong if he goes to the Eagles, i would prefer to see Palace in divison 2 tbh.
    [/SIZE]

with sou in charge you will be in div 2!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Please God not Souness... That'd be more than a step backwards, it'd be one giant leap for relegation...

Zaccheroni ain't too bad, but if you're only source is Football365, then it's probably a big load of b0ll0cks tbh...

Who else is there?

SebtheBum wrote:

Who else is there?

hard to know really, according to Jordan there are 4 candidates, we know two already...i'm guessing that maybe Alan Curbishley and probably a manager from the lower leagues or a recently retired former player, maybe even Brian Kerr!

I think Jordon could attract Curbs, Palace aren't too much of a smaller club than Charlton and we should have a bit of cash to spend after AJ's sale and Jordon is doing a lot of talking about building a team that will keep Palace in the PL for a few seasons so that he can build a new stadium and sell on the club once it's in a finanically stable state. He could be talking ****e too though, the man likes to read about himself in the papers.
    with sou in charge you will be in div 2!!!

i actually think he could bring us up but at what cost? :(

Mick McCarthy!!!:D

• Advertisement

oh no! Ray Houghton maybe?
    Chris Coleman? a former player.....maybe? i don't know, can't see him leaving Fulham unless they loose stead malbranque and boa morte and he gets the hump

oh no! Ray Houghton maybe?
    Em... Well, Mick McCarthy DID get Sunderland into the Premiership, winning the Championship by a record margin (IIRC)...

So basically we'd hire him, win promotion to the premiership, and then instantly sack him and replace him with a "Premiership" manager. Sound good?:D

SebtheBum wrote:

So basically we'd hire him, win promotion to the premiership, and then instantly sack him and replace him with a "Premiership" manager. Sound good?:D

sounds like a plan, if this was to happen i would wager that it be Roy Keane to take over and instantly sack Micks assistant....Jason McAtter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Didnt curblishy say he was taking a break from football?

The problem jordan is he loves attention. He will appoint try appoint a high profile manager to increase attention of him and the club. He should of went for billy davies before derby did, he would of been a great choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Mick McCarthy would be a great appointment. Putting all prejudices aside 9of which I have none toward him anyways), he did a fantastic job at Sunderland on a shoe string. Perhaps his success came too quick with them though.

He turned the irish national team into a force, coming in at a time when 80% of the talent pool were 30+, and denied Holland a spot at 2002 world cup.

He had Millwall top of Div 1, from nothing, when he took the irish job. After Millwall left McCarthy what happened? They got relegated! In the same season.

i couldn't hack listening to him shout on the sidelines:
    "SHOOOT, PAAAASS, TACKKKLLEEE" "GAAARRY...GAAARRYYYY....TAAACKLEEEE!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

gimmick wrote:

He had Millwall top of Div 1, from nothing, when he took the irish job. After Millwall left McCarthy what happened? They got relegated! In the same season.

Not true IIRC. Not sure of their league position when he left, but Millwall's league record from November 2005 until McCarthy took the Ireland job:

Won 2
    Drew 6
    Lost 7

Also went out of the 3rd round of the FA Cup in a replay to League 1 Oxford.

The Daily Mirror are running with the story of Peter Taylor to be announced as Palace boss in the next week apparantly. I'd take him or McCarthy over Souness any day of the week.

Advertisement