Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nvidia 7950 GX2

Options
  • 06-06-2006 10:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

Popped over to OcUK, and saw these for sale. I probably wasn't paying attention, but I didn't expect them out this soon.

Anyway, benchies and reviews are still very thin on the ground, but from the looks of it the 7950 kicks a single 7900GTX's ass, but SLI'd 7900's beat it.
    However, Nvidia are releasing a forceware upgrade to enable quad SLi. Now that'd be sweet.

Anyone thinking about getting one? I'm planning on upgrading the beast this summer, originally I was going to go for a X1900, but I may lean in the 7950's direction.
    Should tide me over until Vista hits anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

time to sell my left kidney! hummm wonder will it get enough for it !

sweet card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

The pricing isn't too bad on it, iirc it actually works out cheaper by a to get this instead of a second 7900GTX.
    The OcUK forums have a few threads on the 7950 with some decent info.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

looks cool but be must be huge and would it not be hard to mount watercooling on them.
    time to sell my left kidney! hummm wonder will it get enough for it !

sweet card.

just wait until the dx10 when they come out in winter.your 7900gtx will lastya that long :D;):p

Nope, they're the same or smaller than a 7900GTX. As for w/cing them, they already run very quiet (this from a few previews about the place), so noise won't be an issue.
    No reports on how the O/C though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I havent been keeping up with the Graphics Card scene now for a while, are there any advantages to this HD gaming stuff. I presume you would need a HD monitor and maybe a Game that uses HD display?

Pricewise they look very reasonable, I'm considering selling my 7800gt and maybe getting this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

HD is just a resolution

720p HD is a resolution of 1280 x 720 progressive scanned

1080i HD is a resolution of 1920 x 1080 interlaced

1080p HD is a resolution of 1920 x 1080 progressive scanned.

In terms of quality 1080p is best then 720p then 1080i

depending on your monitor you may already be gaming at a res of 1920 x 1200 or even higher if you have the dell 30" screen (2560 x 1600 (WQXGA) )

So in terms of Gaming Quality there is nothing better about HD, it would in alot of cases be a step down in Quality.

BTW Computer monitors all operate using Progressive Scan which is vastly superior to interlaced.

So WTF is the benefit of a HD Card with HDCP?

HDCP High def Content Protection is the DRM that is going to be used to protect all HD Content - Movies etc etc

Unless both your Graphics Card and Monitor support HDCP you aint gonna be watching HD Movies (well at least kosher ones)

So the only benefit of HD certified Cards if, if you have a HDCP monitor and GPU, is you'll be able to feast on the eye candy of DRM protected HD content......which will be all movies etc released officially in this format.....the HD Downloads available at the moment are a taster only and not Content Protected.

..in conclusion the only point I can see in buying one of these if you have a comparable existing card is if you are building or Upgrading a HTPC connected to a nice phat plasma in your lounge........or you have a decent dell 24" monitor with your comp and use that for your viewing needs.

PC Gamers have been treated to HD gaming for years!

Inqui

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Simona1986 wrote:

see on the link you gave there does it mean when it says minum 400w psu is that for the card on its OWN since tangan brought out like 1100w psu for these.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

1gb of Ram :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

The 7950 performs like sli'd 7900gts..........

It doesnt give a performance increase in games that have bad SLI support.......

Because thats all it is, 2 sli'd 7900gts........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

From http://www.pointofview-online.com/GF7950GX2pci.html it seems to be two 7900 GTX 512's?
    Still seems cheap compared to the likes of http://www.pointofview-online.com/GF7950GX2pci.html and the price of one single 7900GTX

nope its just a 7900gt with more memory.......

The 7900gtx has 650/800 clocks where as the 7900gt 450/660.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

there seems to be a lot of confusion on what they are but according most stuff i've read it seems to be two mobile processors (2 go 7800gtxs) which run at speeds that are somewhere in between the 7900gt and gtx (lower clockspeeds than gtx but higher than gts)...

Yes they are actually mobile GPUs to keep the heat down..........

The 7950 performs somewhere between a a 7900GTX and 7900GTX sli

d32048.gif

d32048.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Thats a hell of alot to put down on a Dx9 card so close to the change over.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Thats a hell of alot to put down on a Dx9 card so close to the change over.

Thats a hell of a lot of money to spend on any GFX card......

And DX10 is months away and most DX10 games will have a DX9 mode that will look nearly as good, such as Crysis........

Bets that the first release of Vista will destroy thousands of machines due to a virus placed by some horribly miffed tech because they took out the "Boot in 5 seconds" function, which said tech designed?

Ah, Crysis. Now that I'm looking forward to. Give me that, a DX10 card and 3D Alt-tabbing and I'll be one happy camper. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Quad Sli info..
    We have recieved word that downloadable Quad SLI drivers from NVIDIA.com for the company's recently-launched GeForce 7950 GX2 video card are "at least two months away".

They may be even longer than that though, in reality.

This is a little longer than we were expecting it to take, but it seems that NVIDIA is keen to ensure that the drivers are 100% ready before letting the reins off Quad SLI in the channel.

NVIDIA's engineers are working closely with authorised system builders to ensure that they're using the correct motherboard BIOS revisions, and also reporting incompatibilities with existing products to ensure that there is widespread support for the dual-GPU GeForce 7950 GX2.

It took NVIDIA nearly four years to develop its SLI technology, and it is an ongoing development process. Quad SLI development is incredibly complex in comparison, as there is a massive amount of work to do on both hardware and software in order to get the technology working properly. NVIDIA is actively working with game developers to ensure that Quad SLI development is smoother, ultimately meaning that end users will get a better experience.

With Vista continually getting delayed, NVIDIA isn't compelled to launch its DirectX 10 product line for a while yet, meaning that a pair of GeForce 7950 GX2s running in Quad SLI will hold the performance crown for a few months.

Any ideas what the DX10 range will be? 8xxx maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Z3, 6 and 9

• Advertisement

SyxPak wrote:
    Z3, 6 and 9

werd

Advertisement