Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 portions a day - do nuts count?

• 06-06-2006 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi,

I recently found out that I have a hernia in my stomach (oh the joy) and it currenly cannot be treated - just controlled. I need to start eating a more balanced diet. I am trying to eat 5 portions of Fruit & Veg a day, but I am finding it very difficult. I have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer :-

1. I was wondering do nuts count? I love nuts. Peanuts, Hazel Nuts, Brazil Nuts etc. If these would count as one portion, that would help enormously!

2. I know chickpeas can count, but I don't really like them. I do like sesame sticks which are made from chickpeas. Would sesame sticks and or bombay mixes count? If so, how many would make up a portion?

3. With regards to soup, how much is a portion. I can see the obvious answer here being a bowl but what if it is mixed. e.g. carrot and leek soup. Does that count for 2 portions?

4. I know orange juice counts as one portion a day and no matter how much you drink it is still one portion. But, say you had some apple juice as well. Would this count as a second portion?

If anyone can help me with the answers to these I would be very grateful.
    J

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

1. - no, I don't think so, but a small handful of nuts is beneficial anyway.

2. - I seriously doubt it.

3. - no.

4. - no, besides, you're meant to be getting the fibre too if you have a hernia. Just eat an apple!

If you're not a big fruit fan I suggest going to Marks & Spencers and buying some of their really really nice fruit, you can even get it prepared in packages in the fridge. Tomatoes count as a portion, try having tomatoes in your sandwich. Eat at least 2 different types of veg at dinner. It's all about variety. I don't mean to dishearten you, but some people now think it should be revised up to 9 small portions of varied fruit and veg every day. Just keep at it, it'll get easier. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Jen199

Oh god - that's depressing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Come on, you can do it. I promise, if you MAKE yourself do it for a week you'll start to feel so much better you'll want to stick to it. Just throw yourself at it. Go buy loads of really yummy fruit- mangos, berries, cherries, pineapple, I promise you'll get into it. Make a big fruit salad and have it with a spoon of greek yoghurt, some toasted almond flakes & a spoon of honey. Try putting some carrots in mashed potato, roast some peppers for sandwiches.

Advertisement