Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can i get a Dual Scocket Motherboard for Intel 2.8GHz (Scocket 478)

Options
  • 06-06-2006 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,
    I have two Intel 2.8 GHz processors (socket 478) and I was wondering if it is possible to get a dual processor motherboard to put them into. I have been searching, but cannot find any. Does anybody know where I might find one?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I dont think its possible, dual sockets are a server board feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

not possible for socket 478 afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I know you can get Dual Ath's... but in all my years i've never heard of a dual P4... I could be wrong but i've never heard of one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mur_cott

Cool,
    Thanks for the help guys anyway, guess I'll do somthing with them. (- Let me show you my P4 processer book ends!)

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Only server chips such as Opterons and Xeons can work together.......

They need way of comunicating such as a second HTT link..........

So its not possible......

If you need dual processing, The Pentium D 805 is only €140 a the minute.......

You will new mainboard, but if you get a p965 or 975x mainboard, you have the option to upgrade to a Core 2 duo (conroe) in a few months......

You will also need some DDR2 ram.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It was actually because Intel disabled the feature, rather than the chip lacking something. P3 and Celeron were dual capable back in the end, but when Intel brought in the Xeon brand during the P3 era, they had to stop people using the cheaper P3 chips instead (performance was exactly the same), so disabled dual processor for p4. All P4 Xeon is is a p4 with the feature enabled (and sometimes more cache, different bus speed).

Advertisement