Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus TDDI & TDCI

Options
  • 06-06-2006 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi,

Can someone tell me what the difference is between the TDDI and TDCI engines for the focus are? When is the TDCI engine available from?

Am looking into buying a 2nd had focus - for some reason diesels are very hard to find!

Comments

TDCI is the common rail diesel engine which is superior to the older TDDI engine.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

That's it.

TDCI = good.

Tddi = not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

Any idea when the TDCI was introduced for the focus?

At the moment am I driving ~100bhp petrol. What sort of power difference will i notice to say the 90bhp TDDi or TDCi?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The TDCi engine in the Focus has 115bhp whereas the old TDDi engine has 90 or 100bhp afaik.

I think it was 2001/2002 when the TDCi engine was introduced in the facelifted MkI Focus. The TDCi is in short supply on these shores. If I'm not mistaken most of the TDCi models in Ireland are 4 door saloons with the Ghia specification. There might also be a Zetec hatchback too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

As everyone said the TDDI is the older of the two engines, it develops 90ps, which is about 89bhp. It was supposed to have been phased out in 2003, but I have seen quite a few 2004 ones about. It is noisy, and I suspect somewhat slower than a 1.6, although probably not much.

The TDCi was introduced in 2001 in Ghia trim AFAIK, however it wasn't until a modified version was introduced with the 2002 facelift than it became popular. It is available in either 100ps or 115ps. The 100ps is common in LX 5dr hatches, the 115 in the Ghia, Zetec, and Sport models (the sports were never sold here, but a few have been imported, one was for sale on boards a while back). The TDCi 115 will supposedly give the old 2.0 ST a good run for its money and will hold its own against a Golf TDI 130.

I bought a 2003 3dr TDCi 115 earlier this year. As you said they are hard to find, but I sort of came across it by accident and at the price I couldnt turn it down. It cost me 11k and had 60k miles an FSH, and in immaculate condition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

maidhc wrote:
    As everyone said the TDDI is the older of the two engines, it develops 90ps, which is about 89bhp. It was supposed to have been phased out in 2003, but I have seen quite a few 2004 ones about. It is noisy, and I suspect somewhat slower than a 1.6, although probably not much.

The TDCi was introduced in 2001 in Ghia trim AFAIK, however it wasn't until a modified version was introduced with the 2002 facelift than it became popular. It is available in either 100ps or 115ps. The 100ps is common in LX 5dr hatches, the 115 in the Ghia, Zetec, and Sport models (the sports were never sold here, but a few have been imported, one was for sale on boards a while back). The TDCi 115 will supposedly give the old 2.0 ST a good run for its money and will hold its own against a Golf TDI 130.

I bought a 2003 3dr TDCi 115 earlier this year. As you said they are hard to find, but I sort of came across it by accident and at the price I couldnt turn it down. It cost me 11k and had 60k miles an FSH, and in immaculate condition.

Thanks for all the info - great buy! Was looking at a 1.8 TDDi LX estate @ the weekend 92 with 85k miles for 10500!

Looks like I'll have to head across the water to get one then! Don't know if there are savings to be had but might be easier to pick one up.

Don't get why the 1.4 petrol is so popular!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I owned 2 of the 110bhp 1.6 TDCI's in C-Max Zetecs.

They were fine cars. I had no issues with either, and both new owners are delighted.

Ford are only offering that 1.6 TDCI in 90bhp form these days. presumably in an effort to move the slightly older generation of 1.8 TDCI 115bhp engined cars.

comanche wrote:
    Thanks for all the info - great buy! Was looking at a 1.8 TDDi LX estate @ the weekend 92 with 85k miles for 10500!

Looks like I'll have to head across the water to get one then! Don't know if there are savings to be had but might be easier to pick one up.

Don't get why the 1.4 petrol is so popular!

Much greater selection abroad. 1.4 is tax and insurance friendly although it's a bit sluggish tbh.

Ford are only offering that 1.6 TDCI in 90bhp form these days. presumably in an effort to move the slightly older generation of 1.8 TDCI 115bhp engined cars.

I would have thought the same thing until they announced the 1.8 TDCi will be fitted to the S-Max and Galaxy. Same engine, but a different ECU causing it to develop 125bhp.

Any further rumors of a Diesel Version of the ST?

Shoud be called the STD *snigger*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

How does one know which TDCI variant is in a car, how can you tell if the car has the TDCI 90/100 or the 115hp units?

Nuttzy wrote:
    How does one know which TDCI variant is in a car, how can you tell if the car has the TDCI 90/100 or the 115hp units?

Log book.

The 1.6 will be either 90bhp or 110 bhp.

The 1.8 is 115bhp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Oh right, so theres only 1version of the TDCI diesel engine and its 115Hp, yeah?
    That would be the same engine used in a 2002 focus van, do you know. Ill be in the market for the van version in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

ronoc wrote:
    Shoud be called the STD *snigger*

awhhh, awhhhhhhhhhhhh :p

Nuttzy wrote:
    Oh right, so theres only 1version of the TDCI diesel engine and its 115Hp, yeah?
    That would be the same engine used in a 2002 focus van, do you know. Ill be in the market for the van version in a few months.

Very few (if any) 2002 vans will have the TDCi.

Old shape Focus:
    3 Diesels:
    1.8 TDDI 90ps (1999 - 2004)
    1.8 TDCI 100ps (2003 - 2005)
    1.8 TDCI 115ps (2001 - 2005)

New Shape Focus
    1.6 TDCI 90ps
    1.6 TDCI 110ps (gone off the market, unfortunately)
    1.8 TDCI 115ps
    2.0 TDCI 136ps (only in UK I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The 110PS 1.6TDCi (Stage IV with DPF) is available in the UK, but not here, where we just get the 90PS (Stage IV, but no DPF) version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Log book.

The 1.6 will be either 90bhp or 110 bhp.

The 1.8 is 115bhp.

Correct and also on my mondeo which is 2.0 TDCI 130, its gotten the 130 written under the hood. but you wouldnt want to rely on that!! :)..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the 130 mindeo will also have a 6 speed box and climate?

Advertisement