Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stevie G Documentary

• 06-06-2006 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

There is a stevie g documentary on sky tonight. Camera's followed him around for the year since istanbul. Cancel all other appointments.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

It was pure tripe, easily the wort football docu i have seen since inside Wayne Rooney, which incidentally was on straight afterwards. Gerrard is right up there with Alan Shearer in the I'm boring stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

I thought it was fantasic, he is such a cool laid back bl;oke.
    And that frosted glass in his house of the boys in Istanbul was deadly.

Difference in him and Wayne Rooney, is Stevie has intellegence, listening to Rooney say "eh" every second or third word does my nut in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I enjoyed the show last night but thats exactley what it was a tv show.While it was enjoyable it wasn't all real , did anyone else notice the part when he was coming out of ewood park and there was a couple of kids there asking for his autograph he turned check see if the camera was on before signing them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yeah but at the end of the day wouldn't everyone get annoyed if they were in a rush somewhere!!
    Good program, just goes to show tho that he is a decent role model for kids etc!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I didn't see the program but correct me if I'm wrong, shouldn't a Stevie G documetary include interesting stuff like death threats and dealings with drug pushers etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

It was a typical footballers documentary....how many plasma TV's can one person have?:rolleyes:

Also, why do Sky constantly insist on interviewing these footballers while they are driving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i think they are just waiting to catch one crash and then they can have the story of the century or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

That doc sure painted an odd pix of Gerrard imho. Almost as tho he had been sheltered so successfully from the real world from such a young age that he simply didn't know how to function off the football pitch.

Not being too thrilled of having to stand there signing autographs is one thing but I just got a general feeling from the guy that something else was (or to be more precise was NOT) going on in his head.

In particular there was one scene where he was at a ceremony to return the European Cup and the female interviewee actually fainted and collapsed in a heap on stage beside Gerrard. Two other men standing beside Gerrard rushed over to see he if she was alright but Stevie (26) just stood there staring as tho he had absolutely no comphrension what to do in this situation.

Chance Gardiner of the football world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Pigman II wrote:
    In particular there was one scene where he was at a ceremony to return the European Cup and the female interviewee actually fainted and collapsed in a heap on stage beside Gerrard. Two other men standing beside Gerrard rushed over to see he if she was alright but Stevie (26) just stood there staring as tho he had absolutely no comphrension what to do in this situation.
    I'd have been more suprised if he reacted to it. What could he do? Start shaking her head? :)

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'd have been more shocked if he reacted to it. What could he do? Start shaking her head? :)

Why would you be shocked? :confused:

What would you do? Just stand there staring like a cabbage until someone else went to the bother?

• Advertisement

Pigman II wrote:
    Why would you be shocked? :confused:

What would you do? Just stand there staring like a cabbage until someone else went to the bother?
    She was caught be her co-presenter:
    http://skysports.planetfootball.com/images/playerpics05_06/rousseau.jpg

and someone else was straight over. I certainly would have done was Gerrard did and I don't know what exactly Gerrard could have done to help. There was hundreds of people there, many with a better clue of what to do in that situation.

My point is not about expertise. I wasn't expecting Gerrard to exclaim "Stand back people! I'm a Doctor" then rush in there, whip out his swiss-army knife and cut out her appendix before it exploded.

My point is about what ones gut reaction is when something like that happens. From what I saw seemed totally apathetic to the situation as tho he clearly felt it was someone else problem even tho he was about a foot away. He even confessed later that he could see well in advance that she was about to collapse just by her state and yet he did nothing as it happened. Even when she was flat on the ground and the two people on stage had gone over to check her out he remained removed just standing there and didn't get involved. Were these other two people medical experts too?

The Bystander Effect is certainly a possible explanation to Gerrards reaction and if so is probably understandable to a certain degree.

But what I can't understand is EB's POV that Gerrard did precisely the right thing and that if he himself were in the same situation he would deliberately do the exactly the same thing (ie nothing).

Pigman II wrote:
    But what I can't understand is EB's POV that Gerrard did precisely the right thing and that if he himself were in the same situation he would deliberately do the exactly the same thing (ie nothing).
    Because there would be nothing for me to do. two's company, three's a crowd.

Maybe he knows a dive when he sees one :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I thought it was a good documentary.

Never really liked him before, though he was just a well paid scumbag but it changed my mind. He's fairly sound and he knows he's a role model and acts like one. You don't see him walking around with loads of bling hanging off him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Thought it was good ... he came across well enough ... thought it was funny when he turned off the twisting jerseys in the istanbul cabinet and he said " better save on the leccy " :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I think he was trying to stop himself laughing at her live on telly. I know that my natural reaction would have been to burst out laughing, then possibly see if she was alright, but definitely laugh first.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I think he was trying to stop himself laughing at her live on telly. I know that my natural reaction would have been to burst out laughing, then possibly see if she was alright, but definitely laugh first.

Yep , I knkow i laughed when I saw her go .

But why were they giving back the cup ???????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I can't watch these type of supposedly documentaries. Just not intresting to me.
    Did they ask him about his near move to Chelsea last season? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

sharkman wrote:
    Yep , I knkow i laughed when I saw her go .

But why were they giving back the cup ???????

the previous winners always hand the trophy at a ceromony every year. it was a new throphy.

the actual throphy liverpool won is still in anfield, for all to see, including man u fans wishing to see the cup they won in '99 :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

el rabitos wrote:
    the previous winners always hand the trophy at a ceromony every year. it was a new throphy.

the actual throphy liverpool won is still in anfield, for all to see, including man u fans wishing to see the cup they won in '99 :D

Ah Ha ! So they wernt actually giving it back . They were presenting the new one .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

sharkman wrote:
    Ah Ha ! So they wernt actually giving it back . They were presenting the new one .

exackerly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

LizardKing wrote:
    Thought it was good ... he came across well enough ... thought it was funny when he turned off the twisting jerseys in the istanbul cabinet and he said " better save on the leccy " :)

Yeah I think he has a kind of dry sense of humour that a lot of people could interpret as being boring or even arrogant. I pissed myself when he said it. You could picture him 20 years ago in a Liverpool councel house with his mother doing just that (not with fancy revolving jerseys though)

A woman 2 treadmills down from me last sunday week, snotted herself and flew off the end, cartoon style. I was just managing to hold my laughter , when I glanced at my cousin, he was pissing himself and that was it, i was gone. Could'nt stop laughing for ages. Not a hope I could have gone over to help. I'd have aughed in her face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Stekelly wrote:
    Yeah I think he has a kind of dry sense of humour that a lot of people could interpret as being boring or even arrogant.

Think you could say that about most footballers. Anyone ever seen Rio Ferdinand being interviewed...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Anybody know if it's gonna be repeated any time soon? Completely forgot about it.

DOCUMENTARY: Steven Gerrard - A Year In My Life
    On: Sky One
    Date: Thursday 15th June 2006 (starting in 8 days)
    Time: 22:00 to 23:00 (1 hour long)

Follow Steven Gerrard through the best year of his career. With exclusive access to his life off the pitch, Sky One reveals another side to the Liverpool and England star. Unmissable.
    (Repeat, Widescreen, 2006)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Cheers, I'll stick it in me diary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement