Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Widescreen Vs. Dual Display

Options
  • 06-06-2006 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭

I've been planning on setting up a dual display set up for a while now but after reading this thread I'm thinking of maybe getting a widescreen monitor instead. I'll be using this set up mainly for gaming and watching films.

So anyone got any opinions either way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

id be interested in this too.. as i am considering 1 of the 2 options also, so what do you guys think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Just to add to this question, if you did have 2 (dual) monitors would you be able to display 2 different screens at once? That is could i play CSS and browse the net on the other screen at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

well if you were going for a full widescreen .dell all the way they do a nice 24" and a 30" which both support hdmi.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just to add to this question, if you did have 2 (dual) monitors would you be able to display 2 different screens at once? That is could i play CSS and browse the net on the other screen at the same time?

Afaik you can only control one screen at a time but yea you could have css on one and the internet on the other. Also when playing games on one screen whatever the resolution of the game is it changes the other screen to match it. This is just what I got from doing a bit of research so I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

awhir wrote:
    well if you were going for a full widescreen .dell all the way they do a nice 24" and a 30" which both support hdmi.

They do not offer HDMI. They over HDCP over DVI.. This provides the same outcome but the monitors do not have a HDMI connector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

They do not offer HDMI. They over HDCP over DVI.. This provides the same outcome but the monitors do not have a HDMI connector.

What the fudge :confused:
    Whats the difference between HDMI and HDCP?
    One is Multimedia Interface and the other Copy Protocol, so what does this mean to me and you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

srry my bad allways make that mistake lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

One is Multimedia Interface and the other Copy Protocol, so what does this mean to me and you?

il second that :D

what does that mean for the average user?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Well currently When I play CSS i have all my temp monitoring software open on the second monitor:cool:

But Games "take over" the PC, you cannot click on anything on the second screen while playing, you just spin around in circles if you try:D

And while in the main menu of CSS and i try and click something on the second monitor, CSS minimises........

My dual monitor setup isnt pretty (2 CRTs:D ) But its great for working on Stuff in 3dsmax, because I can work on one screen and read a tutorial on the other:p

When working on the lappy, I found there is a lot more room to work with because of the widescreen, but its nothing compared to 2 monitors......

Just get 2 widescreen monitors!!!! problem sorted:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

HDCP is for copy protection.. HDMI combines DVI and sound into one cable..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

conzymaher wrote:
    But Games "take over" the PC, you cannot click on anything on the second screen while playing, you just spin around in circles if you try:D
    I have 2 x 19" displays and it is excellent ... play your game of preference windowed and you can move from one screen to the other ... just have to click in the other window to make it active and scroll/shoot/fiddle etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Hi,
    I use two 17" monitors at the moment. Back when I played CS:S I used the CRT for the game and the TFT for Xfire and TeamSpeak, so I could see who was joining the TS server. If I clicked outside of the CS:S monitor it minimised CS:S. Not a prob with this particular game but some will crash if you do this.
    Now I just use it only when I have lots of apps running, works well. Then again I got my TFT free from work, don't know if I could justify actually shelling out for another monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

If you want lots of workspace clearly the dual display. They have sooo much more space than a single widescreen unless you spend a ridiculous amount on the widescreen.

Hoping to go to 3 screen in the summer, 2 x 17" TFT + 1 x 26" TFT. That will be sweet.

Advertisement