Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

clutch problem on a fiat

Options
  • 06-06-2006 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Im the not so proud owner of a fiat seicento and for the past day the clutch has been acting up, when I start out on a journey its fine but after about 30mins driving it becomes impossible to go into first gear. i only had the clutch cable replaced in february so it's not that, has anybody experienced this before or happen to have an idea what the problem is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

It might just need the cable tightened a turn or two - its an easy diy job if you have a vise grips. Did you bring the car to a main dealer to get the cable replaced? FIAT upgraded the replacement clutch cables with a kit to improve reliability and if a spurious cable was fitted it might be about to go again. What cc is your engine and what year/mileage is the car?

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clawsthefirst

it wasnt a fiat dealer i brought it too, it was actually in garage having head gasket fixed when it happened so mechanic just fixed it free of charge(at least this is what he said happened!) its an 899cc 1999 with 72,000 on clock. In the two years i've had it clutch cable has snapped twice, feel like abandoning the car at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Its so common on them, many people put a spare clutch cable in the boot. Start by adjusting it and see what happens - one turn of the adjusting nut to tighten it, bring it back to the garage if you can't do it yourself.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clawsthefirst

thanks for the advice! will try tightening it and see how i go, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Had the same problem with the sisters Seicento at times....just a case of using some brute force...we never got it fixed tbh

• Advertisement
Advertisement