Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games Programming 4 Dummies

Options
  • 06-06-2006 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi

I know nothing about programming and am loking to program a flash game and then go on to do a 3d game. do any of u guys have a tutorial u could teach me.

Tnx

Peter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

Ok.

First thing you do, and I say this to everyone, when it comes to Flash, get the manual and do all the examples in the tutorials that come with the program.

After that google is your friend. There are many many sites out there that cover many different aspects of this stuff. Just mix and match. Start with small little things and play around with small programs, and just have your game as a little scrapbook as you pull things together. See what you can do, and can do well, and start pulling the various things together.

Don't be afraid to experiment with anything any of the the tutorials show you. See what works, and see what breaks it (which is how you learn).

As for 3d... Um, best stick with Flash for the time being, it's simpler. 3d stuff tends to involve a language like C or C++ and libraries like OpenGL and GLUT. While these are fun to play with, it's probably not for the beginner. But there's plenty of stuff out there for that as well.

Aoife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

When I first began game developing I used a good little versatile maker known as the O.h.r.rpg.c.e, it was primarily an rpg dev program but could be modified for Side scrolling platformers. Its very good to start off, i highly recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 peterh321

How big is the actual file and i've never programed before so could u give me some help with what i do.

tnx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

peterh321 wrote:
    How big is the actual file and i've never programed before so could u give me some help with what i do.

tnx

Is this a troll? Follow the link above to gamedev.net - it's the best place to start. When you have completely read and understood that, you can then consider how to approach what you want to do. Folk here will help when you get stuck, but won't do all your work for you.

• Advertisement

Ohrrpgce is really only If you want to get into some intermediate programming, stay away from it if your looking for graphically strong games, as I said its an rpg creation engine, but is heavily based on the old 8-bit Final fantasy games, but it is a good way to get into the idea more. But maybe stick with game-dev.net until you want to try your hand at something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

For the flash game,
    open up the samples directory in your Flash directory.

The Movement-thrust.fla file will show you the basic steps in moving an object around the screen with the keyboard.

Try to recreate this yourself.
    Then try to add a second moving object, keyboard controlled or following a path.
    Then try to have the program detect when they collide and change their direction by reversing the X or Y component of their motion.

That should be enough to build a basic pong/asteroids/kick the penguin (or other million versions) 1980's style game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Nice link, Thanks for that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 peterh321

Just Downloaded ohrrpg and its reli good. Will post a link where u can dowload the game asap

peter

peterh321 wrote:
    Just Downloaded ohrrpg and its reli good. Will post a link where u can dowload the game asap

peter

If you get a grasp on the Hamsterspeak code language used for that program, you will be well on your way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement