Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

info needed

• 06-06-2006 1:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

hey,
    i'm just looking for a bit of advice, before i go on i know this isn't a medical board so i'll try not to cross that line. Just looking for a bit of info.

i'm living in the US for the summer and my girlfriend is coming to live with me for 2 and a half months.She's coming out here in 5 weeks.We've been sexually active for about a year. we're both 22 and have always used condoms. We're as careful as anyone can be really and are always very concious of anything going wrong.

but since we're going to be living together a lot of people have said she should be going on the pill. We've talked about it together and before we make a decision together we just wanted some info.

Some things we are wondering about are

what type of pill you should use?

how safe is sex on the pill - is it totally safe not to use condoms as well while on the pill?

if she is in ireland and get's her prescription is it possible to get enough to last her throughout her time in the US. or would she be better off waiting until she gets to the states before getting it. i know you have to take it for a few weeks before it "kicks in" so getting it in Ireland and taking it before she comes out was preferred.

and one thing is that she doesnt want her parents to know she's on it and since her dad is a GP he kinda knows most doctors in the surrounding area, is there a more private way of getting it than through a local GP

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Ok, the doctor will prescribe the correct pill for your GF so don't worry about that.

As for contraception, I have found it very very good (no babies yet :D). However a few friends of mine have gotten pregnant while on the pill. When I say a few I litterally mean two out of god knows how many.

So there is still a risk but from personal experience it's not that high.

On the prescription side, she can get the pills here but in the US she may require another visit to the hospital for a smear test before they will hand out a prescription.

If any doctor goes back to her dad and tells him, file a lawsuit and bury him for breach of doctor/patient confidentiality.

G'luck,
    /L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

thanks for the info layke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I get mine from the family planning clinic and I get a six months supply together - well the prescription is made out for a 6 month supply and they give the option of taking 3 months supply now and come back for the other 3 months when you need them or take the 6 months together...I guess that spreads the expense, but I take the 6 months for convenience. So she should have no problem getting enough to cover her for the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.ifpa.ie/contraception/

http://thinkcontraception.ie/contraception-choices/contraception-choices.asp

http://www.vhi.ie/hfiles/hf-060.jsp

The oral contraceptive pill may not agree with her, and it is not 100%.
    There are other options the sites above contain some information and more you both know the better questions you can ask the gp and make a better decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

I'm sorry man, I can’t resist! :D

There is no guarantee that the pill will protect her against getting pregnant but I’ll be looking after ya while she's here so don’t worry! What ever happens we'll handle together. Squall wont really let ye get up to much anyways so....

It would be a good opportunity to play around with some condoms designed for maximum pleasure for you and her! That way she’s on the pill and your using condoms and the chance of getting pregnant have been reduced even further, even though we all know that you could wrap each other in cling film and there is always a chance….

But seriously, nice to see your putting some thought into this! And like Layke said, Doctors cant tell her dad squat! I didn’t even think about that last night!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 marthabee

http://www.plannedparenthood.com/pp2/portal/

There are Planned Parenthood clinics in almost all cities in the USA. This is a confidential service. It is subsidised and your gf will not have to provide any insurance details. It would be a good place to check if she does not get sorted in Ireland as it is extremely expensive to see a regular GP in the USA without health insurance.

Advertisement