Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

glasnevin met office

Options
  • 06-06-2006 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

I'm just wondering what the story is with the building on Glasnevin Hill. How long it's been there, how it was regarded when it was first built, people's opinions now etc. I don't know what to think of it and I've been passing it nearly every day for six months now. It wouldn't surprise me to see it included in the thread on Dublin's ugliest buildings but is it? I find myself drawn to looking at it every time I pass but I can't tell why. Definitely one of the most unique buildings in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Twas built in the early eighties i think. i went to school beside it for a few years. Some architect won a competition (and a shedload of money) to design it and a few years after it was built the damn thing was covered in hoarding and scaffolding which stayed on it for years and years. I think they found out the building was majorly flawed and it took them that long to sort it out. All this is from memory as a kid but i think thats the story. I always thought the moat was cool though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I quite like Millibar Mansions.
    It was built in 1979 and the original architect was Liam McCormack from Derry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭अधिनायक

It's on the same road as the pyramid church: weird or what?

For a four-storey building it has amazing presence, just compare with the anonymous enterprise ireland offices next door.

I believe it was clad in limestone sheets that began to slip off, necessitating a complete refurbishment that took years (a decade?).

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cd76

Yes, Its a beautiful building. Very imaginative and especially suited to the functions carried out there. A fantastic addition to Glasnevin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement