Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Failed NCT - Question??

Options
  • 06-06-2006 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

HI guys,

My car failed the NCT this morning. One of my rear Wishbone Bushes is badly worn, does anybody know how much it costs to get this replaced??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What kind of car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Jood

Oh right ya sorry:rolleyes:

Its a 98 Punto.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Wishbone bushings are cheap for Puntos and will take half an hour to fit - I'd get both sides done and expect to pay 80 euro. If the balljoint is gone on the wishbone, you will need replacement wishbones as these are non-removable....€€€€€€...

'cptr

Do I need to get both sides done your man at the centre said everything else was alright? Will he check the other one as well at the retest?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Wishbone bushings are cheap for Puntos and will take half an hour to fit - I'd get both sides done and expect to pay 80 euro. If the balljoint is gone on the wishbone, you will need replacement wishbones as these are non-removable....€€€€€€...

'cptr

HAH ? Ball joints....rear wishbones...easy to replace ??? The car failed because the rear wishbone bushes are gone, common problem on them. But not such an easy job to replace, and there is definitely no ball joint on the rear axle. Expect to pay between 120-150 for each side.

• Advertisement

Thanks Guys but I dont know what Mechanics ye all use, just been on the phone to mine and he said the part should only cost a tenner its only worn on one side the other is fine and it'll only take a half hour to fit. My father is a taxi driver and uses this guy all the time so I think I'll go with what he says, thanks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Slinky>

Jood wrote:
    Do I need to get both sides done your man at the centre said everything else was alright? Will he check the other one as well at the retest?

Its good practice when replacing suspension parts and tyres to replace both sides at the same time as having one new part and one worn one can affect handling and stability,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A 98 Punto doesn't have rear wishbones. Like many cars It's a trailing arm/torsion beam rear suspension setup. It's probably a trailing arm bushing that's worn out. Don't know how expensive this is but I'd say it could be dear enough.

<edit> perhaps you're talking about a rear mounting of the front suspension wishbone?

This is what the form from the test says.

Item: Rear Suspension System (55)

Description: Axle and Wishbone Bushes

Reason: Worn

Fail/Refusal.

OK then, problem is with the rear suspension. Probably the trailing arm. A quick google reveals that Puntos commonly suffer rear trailing arm problems.

The NCT form mentions wishbones as it is just a generic form and some cars would have rear wishbones

• Advertisement

Ok then Brian thanks for clearing that up, I dont profess to know a lot about cars. Everything else was fine anyway thank god.

Don't know how much it will cost but i'd say the earlier estimate of 150-200 quid per side sounds about right. IMO there is no need to get the offside bush done at the same time if the NCT tester deemed it OK. The nearside bush probably gets a much harder time as most potholes occur on the nearside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I'm glad your mechanic has answered your question, more people might get faster answers if they tried this route first. I know Puntos don't have rear wishbones, do have front wishbone rear bushings and I also know that trailing arm bushings aren't so easy to replace. I hope your mechanic understood your question because I sure as hell didn't.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Not sure about teh Punto, but if its Italian, then it might be similar to the trailing arm bushes on the alfa...cheap at about €5 each and 1hr to do both maximum. If one is gone, then the other is sure to be not far behind

Hi Guys,

I've decided to go for both sides, just been on to Fiat there he can give me both suspension arms for €60 and my mechanic can fit them for 30 so all in all not a bad outcome. Thanks for all ye're replies.

Advertisement