Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new lawn - when to cut?

• 06-06-2006 2:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

We have a new lawn that's about 6/8 weeks old. The grass has grown up very patchy and there are bald areas. But it needs it's first cut. We have a flymo mower. Will the mower just pull the grass up out of the ground or will it be OK?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'm no expert but I wouldn't advise cuting it until this hot spell is over (showers expected on Saturday) or it will burn.

Also for the bald areas get some more hay seed and mix it with fine sand and spread, but not until Saturday and then it will need watering for first 2 weeks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

They say that you should cut it when 3 inchs tall, but i would imagine that a flymow might not be the best because of the whole air cushion that it rides on(i think). Also the hot spell at the moment might reduce its regrowth after cutting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

When you do cut it would be worthwhile making sure the blade is good and sharp before you start. A blunt blade will damage the delicate new grass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

A blunt rotary mower, especially of the flymo ilk, will pull new grass out of the ground.
    Go to B&Q and spend €30 on a push cylinder mower and raise it as high as you can.
    Dont take more than 1/3 off the height of the grass.

Advertisement