Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food Dislikes? (Split from Gazpacho thread)

• 06-06-2006 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭

Shabadu wrote:
    Crap- my last sentence when I said, 'small cubes of celery', I in fact meant 'small cubes of cucumber'. Edited.

I'm glad you spotted that, it had put me off trying the recipe totally.

Celery is the work of satan.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Lies! If you re-read you see I call for it sliced super thin on the processor. Super thinly cut celery is the win. Of course, you could always just leave it out if you're a non-believer in the joys of celery, but I ask you, what would a cassoulet be without some sautéed celery? Or some puy lentils w/ brunoise celery & carrot to go with a venison sausage? Where would a Bloody Mary be without celery? Nowhere, that's where!

That said my Grandmother from the side of the family that can't cook once prepared this dish of massive chunks of celery boiled in some margarine and milk. ;_;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Shabadu wrote:
    That said my Grandmother from the side of the family that can't cook once prepared this dish of massive chunks of celery boiled in some margarine and milk. ;_;

Ah yes the pinnacle of celery cuisine "Céleri avec lait et margarine".

A real classic o_0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Celery is the work of satan.
    I think you'll find that aubergine is actually the work of satan. Celery is the work of a lesser evil. Beelzebub, perhaps.
    Shabadu wrote:
    Super thinly cut celery is the win.

That reminds me....

I must retry celery again soon. I make a point of doing that with all the food I hate every few years. I reminded myself recently that I still don't like aubergine (hoo boy do I not like it), so I guess celery could do with a refresher, 'specially cause I've kinda grown to like celeriac.

Who knows. I might even have to take back the Beelzebub comment.
    but I ask you, what would a cassoulet be without some sautéed celery? Or some puy lentils w/ brunoise celery & carrot to go with a venison sausage?
    Vastly improved, I'd say ;)
    Where would a Bloody Mary be without celery? Nowhere, that's where!
    Thats also where I'd put it when its with the celery ...which is - coincidentally - also the reason why I can't offer a gazpacho recipe here.

jc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Conar

Nice one. Yeah I'll definitely be giving that a go over the next couple of days and I'll let you know what I think.

Conar- a suggestion. Split the soup & leave the celery out of half & have a blind taste test! Then we'll see.

Also Bonkey, you don't like aubergine? *boggle*

• Advertisement

:D Yeah I'll do that!

I'm also a fan off cellery though!
    Try spreading some philadelphia (or other cream cheese) into some celery sticks and sprinkle with paprika!
    Now thats summer heaven!

I think I'm gonna make myself a bllody mary now too! Good week to be off!!!!!

Conar wrote:
    :D Yeah I'll do that!

I'm also a fan off cellery though!
    Try spreading some philadelphia (or other cream cheese) into some celery sticks and sprinkle with paprika!
    Now thats summer heaven!

I think I'm gonna make myself a bllody mary now too! Good week to be off!!!!!

Eh why not just eat philadelphia straight out of the tub with a spoon, that's all the celery is, is an edible spoon that tastes like water and a bit of pepper thrown in for good measure.

I do see some relevance to celery as a stock veg, but in all I hate anything that saps more energy in the chewing and digesting than it actually gives the body, that makes it "not a foodstuff". if you were starving and someone handed you celery it'd be like ...right kick me when I'm down then.

Aubergines are not all that bad if treated correctly.

I also like to revisit foods now and again, hence recently growing to like blue cheese and the other one was lemongrass.

Coriander(cilantro) and celery still have not made it to the list of palatable foods.

Yeah I have some blue cheese in the fridge at the moment. Always hated it but determined to make a nice sauce or dressing out of it. I hope my tastes have changed.

Oh and I see you're picking on corriander now too! Shame on you!

Some people have a gene that makes them taste coriander as soap. Also, the reason aspartame has overtaken saccharin as the fake sugar of choice is that some people have a gene that makes them taste saccharin as a bitter chemical.

Is that true?
    Where did you hear that?
    I absolutely hate sacharin, as it tastes like a bitter chemical to me!

• Advertisement

It's either true or my lecturer was just lying. For a laugh. Frankly, I wouldn't put it past him.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Some people instead perceive an unpleasant "soapy" taste and/or a rank smell. This taste is believed to be a genetic trait, but has yet to be fully researched.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriander

some chat on the talk page about this too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Coriander#Genetic_cause

I may split off the celery etc posts into a new thread called 'Food Dislikes'. What think ye?

Could well be true. I definitely have that sacharin gene.
    If it is true though I pity anyone that has the equivalent coriander gene. I would die without my thai and mexican food! Coriander is a must!

I taste coriander as being like soapy water, if you could imagine a curry then splosh in a large dash of Fairy liquid, that's coriander.

Also Saccharin is foul tasting stuff, it tastes like toxic waste...whatever that tastes like ;) But all those ads about not tasting it.....ha, tastes terrible, nutrasweet is foul stuff too.

I've done the super-taster online tests and dont come out as a supertaster so I dunno what the story is, but I cant swallow coriander, the seeds are no problem at all however, it's only the green leaf that bothers me although the soapiness is there in the seed just not as pronounced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

I hate celery and cucumber - to me they taste really strong and leave a lasting taste in my mouth - yuck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

omg, so its not just me?!
    people look at me wierd when i say coriander tastes like soap.
    yuck yuck yuck yuck YUCKY

omg, so its not just me?!
    people look at me wierd when i say coriander tastes like soap.
    yuck yuck yuck yuck YUCKY

I always thought it was obvious to others and when we do a parsley vs coriander taste test people say parsley tastes the same???????????????????????

Coriander tastes like a delicate flat leaf parsley with a hint of citrus and the aroma of fresh coriander seeds to me. If you have this particular gene, it tastes like soap. But what I REALLY want to know is how come we all know what soap tastes like? o.O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

bonkey wrote:
    I think you'll find that aubergine is actually the work of satan.

I couldn't agree more, I believe I wrote a short essay on the subject while very drunk. I'll try dredge it up.

DOWN WITH AUBERGINES!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

I love coriander. I think it has a really strong flavour but don't think it tastes anything like flat leaf parsley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Cucumbers come under that heading of 'tastes different to different people' as well.

Coriander is a marvellous, marvellous herb. Fresh chopped and stirred through rice as an accompaniment to lemongrass chicken, it rocks.

Courgettes are the creation of satan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'll eat pretty much anything put in front of me, but if the only food left in the world was broad beans, I tell you, I'd starve to death.

My wife claims she hates celery, but I sneak it into things all the time and she doesn't say anything until she's eaten every last scrap, gives me a sideways glance and says "You put celery in that, didn't you?" I think she disliked it as a child, and is having trouble comibng to terms with the fact that she actually quite likes it :)

Advertisement