Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Customs question on Ball Imports

• 06-06-2006 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭

i just got badly stung and i'm wondering if someone can help me out, i think i've been robbed by customs,
    i bought 3 dozen Maxfli black max online in the states for €91 (shipping included) when UPS delivered it the government had slapped on customs duty of €42, i have already rung the customs office and guess what (there's noone here to take your call leave your message and number after the beep)
    does a near 50% customs charge not seem over extreme to some, i'm determined not to rest until they can produce the legislation that states tax = 50% does anyone know anything about this or can they help.

btw i'm looking for advise not help paying it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Hey JR might be worth posting the question www.askaboutmoney.com they are very clued in on the whole taxation system. Hope it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Poker & Pints

what they think you paid when you get "caught". Those balls "sell" for 60euro here so I say what they did is charged you base on a figure of 180euro(at least). You probably won;t get out of paying, nothing you can do and no where to turn...the motto of this great place.

BTW, you should never order from the US unless the seller is willing to package in plain wrapper and label it as a gift with zero value. Or better yet, have someone bring them back for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

yeah, i'll reemmber that next time Poker & Pints, thanks for the tip racso1975

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Ok the deal is, you're being hit with Customs Excise duty of 10% or so, and then 21% VAT on top of that (as VAT wasn't paid within the EU already). But the sting in the tail is, that these are being levied on the IRISH PRICE of the product. Sh!tty, but that's the way they have it.. :(

Personally I do not ship ANYTHING via UPS, because of their policy. I've got other stuff delivered via the post and other courier companies and only ever really had to pay out when it was over a few hundred dollars.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

they don't normally check the irish price at all, what has probably happened and has happened to me before is that they have charged a customs fee and also the 21% VAT on the price including the shipping.
    You should have got a clear invoice for the charge though..

also the irish price for black max wouldn't be anywhere near 60 anyway.

• Advertisement

they don't normally check the irish price at all, what has probably happened and has happened to me before is that they have charged a customs fee and also the 21% VAT on the price including the shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Highlander

i just got badly stung and i'm wondering if someone can help me out, i think i've been robbed by customs,
    i bought 3 dozen Maxfli black max online in the states for €91 (shipping included) when UPS delivered it the government had slapped on customs duty of €42, i have already rung the customs office and guess what (there's noone here to take your call leave your message and number after the beep)
    does a near 50% customs charge not seem over extreme to some, i'm determined not to rest until they can produce the legislation that states tax = 50% does anyone know anything about this or can they help.

btw i'm looking for advise not help paying it.

Hi JR, customs duty on Golf Balls is 2.7% and 21% Vat, if your value of €91(including shiping) is right then you should be only liable for €2.46 Duty and €19.62 Vat. no point in ringing customs, ring UPS and ask them to explain how they calulcated duty/vat and ask for a copy of the customs Sad entry showing the duty/vat paid

daveym wrote:

WRONG!

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT THEY ARE SELLING FOR, IT IS WHAT THE RETAIL PRICE IS(UNLESS YOU HAVE THE RECEIPT FOR PROOF OF PURCHASE). I KNOW THIS FIRST HAND FROM INLAW WORKING IN THE INDUSTRY.

btw..THEY WERE SELLING FOR 54.99 AT MCGUIRKS, 49.99 AT MOST PLACES AND 64 IN GOLF CLUB PRO SHOPS. STILL HAVE A RETAIL PRICE OF 59.99.

WRONG!

IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT THEY ARE SELLING FOR, IT IS WHAT THE RETAIL PRICE IS(UNLESS YOU HAVE THE RECEIPT FOR PROOF OF PURCHASE). I KNOW THIS FIRST HAND FROM INLAW WORKING IN THE INDUSTRY.

btw..THEY WERE SELLING FOR 54.99 AT MCGUIRKS, 49.99 AT MOST PLACES AND 64 IN GOLF CLUB PRO SHOPS. STILL HAVE A RETAIL PRICE OF 59.99.

no need to shout, I know you are wrong since I have imported stuff hundreds of times and never had it done your way...

daveym wrote:
    no need to shout, I know you are wrong since I have imported stuff hundreds of times and never had it done your way...

Just working with caps on. My point was that if something comes into the country with no price associated, customs turns to the MSRP of the item. That is a fact. I am not commenting on the way you import stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement