Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house: Limerick City

Options
  • 06-06-2006 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

I'm looking at buying a 2-bed terrace on the Island :eek: (up past The Locke, and left at the lights, around there...)

Basically, the price suits me and I really like old redbrick terraces; but I know the place has a bad rep (allegedly).

What do people think?? Any stories from the area??

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Nicholas St. isn't on the Island per se afaiak.

It is part of the Parish however. Traditional Shannon RFC country.

It's not too far from where I live maybe 10- 15 minutes walk.

I know nothing about the locals nor crime up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

5 people were mugged on Baal's bridge last week. I wouldn't recommend living there unless the price is really good.

The area is definately improving, but still has some way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭scrattletrap

If you have any qualms about the area then don't do it what ever the price as this will probably be the biggest investment of your life time and if in five months time you decide you don't like it you will still have to wait god knows how many months to get back out.
    Best thing to do is take your car over there at nine or ten at night sit there for an hour if you don't feel comfortable then it isn't the place for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I should point out my problem isn't with that immeadiate area, it's with the scumbags who pass through it everyday from d'Island to hanging around HMV and back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭sioda

I looked at buying a house on the island as I work up there but just found the passing crowd too much. Plus you'd never feel safe with a car outside the door. I know the houses there are cheap but would definatly look elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I have family who live there and I wouldn't recommend it. It would be quite a gamble and as great as old red-bricks are, I wouldn't take it.

What about something like this off Clare St:

javascript:openWindow('http://www.daft.ie/largemap.daft?large_map=1&ad_type=sale&ad_state=active&ad_id=88277&rc_ad=',650, 520) or
    http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=88197

Not so visually attractive, but a nicer area. Then again, maybe that just seems cheap to me because I live in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭scrattletrap

iguana, that is not of Clare Street but Pennywell and is in Garryowen.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Yeah, I dont know why I thought that. My bad.

Advertisement