Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Done An Dusted, Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
  • 06-06-2006 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

I have, finally, after weeks of buging people on this forum, traded in the beretta for a Yildiz(new) (i can feel chopperdog cringe) . I also got a part deposit on a Brno CZ 452 Varmint in .17 HMR.

Let me explain before im inundated with cries of IDIOT!!!!!
    The dealer had only two O/U's, a lumar, no ejectors, fixed chokes or
    the Yildiz with ejectors, selective trigger and 5 chokes......

I wanted double triggers but he didn even have a single SxS, so out of luck.....

This was the only shop i was able to find the CZ rifle i wanted and i made a compromise on the shotgun, i am however very happy.

Yildiz
    SPZME
    76mm chambers
    Single selective trigger
    5 chokes (F, IM, M, IC, CL)

Brno
    CZ 452 Varmint
    .17 HMR

I am very happy with what i did, yes i am mad and clinically insane, and am now open to all comments good and bad on what ive done.

NO I DONT EXPECT TO SHOOT CLAYS WITH THE YILDIZ, ITS PURELY A GAME GUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

To be honest newby i think you made the right choice for you and no one can say otherwise.

You have opened yourself to a wider amount of opportunities now. The shotgun looks like a good practical game gun and you will benifit from having a gun with 2 chokes and a selective trigger.

You have also stepped into the realm of rifle shooting which can be fantastic sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

rifle wouldnt be my choice but none the less still a fantastic rifle and i dunno was never bothered much with shotguns as long as the worked and my face remained intact i was happy

put a good scope on that rifle and it will be a nice gun the heavy barrel is a nice feature for off hand shooting if you dont mind the weight

I don't get why people have problems with heavy guns, at least when out hunting if you're carrying it you're getting a bit of exercise aswell

The only reason i can see them as a bad thing is that they will take more effort to carry possibly making you breath harder and raise your heart beat making you less accurate.

Is there some big thing i am missing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

Good man Newby..

At long last you got it all sorted out...
    All cringing aside ;) best of luck with your new guns.
    Every man has his own preference and obviously you are happy.
    May many happy and safe hours of fun and sport lie ahead of you.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

i agree vegeta, i like the extra weight , reduces recoil as far as i can tel, so that should improve shooting, must admit the yildiz is light, dealer said it might, "kick" a bit so im expecting a bit of a mule, but as long as what im pointing at drops, dont care.......

Thanks chopperdog,

should have the new O/U this friday/saturday, FO is like a f***in unicorn, u kinda have to book an appointment.

Dont know how long the rifle licence wil take, hopefully not that long.......... HOPEFULY......

• Advertisement

No id be on the same lines as you i dont like light guns the weight makes it better to shoot just some people dont like it

having the gun front heavy will make off hand shooting easier well steadier it wont sway as much and off a rest i doubt it matters to much. Normally the weight will soak up a bit of recoil and give more accuracy but not on a rimfire

Is the rifle for target shooting or hunting? a 4-16x scope would help you get the most out of this gun if your hunting with it you want to be able to keep it at 6x or around that

No id be on the same lines as you i dont like light guns the weight makes it better to shoot just some people dont like it

having the gun front heavy will make off hand shooting easier well steadier it wont sway as much and off a rest i doubt it matters to much. Normally the weight will soak up a bit of recoil and give more accuracy but not on a rimfire

Is the rifle for target shooting or hunting? a 4-16x scope would help you get the most out of this gun if your hunting with it you want to be able to keep it at 6x or around that

Hunting, im looking at the scope Rew is selling, im the person interested.....

yeah i thought that the lowest setting on that scope is 10x dont wanna be telling you what to do but something a little lower would be better for hunting alot of people shoot 200-300 yards on a 6x scope for hunting its just better id go for a 3-9x or a 6x fixed

would like to hear what other people thing about magnification i find myself leaving my scope on x6 when shooting 0-100yards and step up to x9 for anything over that or targets

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

Good luck with the new toys Newby.

yeah i thought that the lowest setting on that scope is 10x dont wanna be telling you what to do but something a little lower would be better for hunting alot of people shoot 200-300 yards on a 6x scope for hunting its just better id go for a 3-9x or a 6x fixed

would like to hear what other people thing about magnification i find myself leaving my scope on x6 when shooting 0-100yards and step up to x9 for anything over that or targets

I had a very high mag scope on my air rilfe for target shooting and put that on the .270 when my bro first bought it.

With the magnification up very high the scope is very close to the eye brow/socket. Combine this with a rifle that kicks like a mule and you get a poke in the face from the scope. My brother warned me but do ya think i'd listen....No. For hunting 3-9x with a big objective lense are quite effective as they give a nice wide field of vision, lots of light and a crisp image.

If i were you i'd go with a scope that has a lowish magnification, but the scope for sale on this forum is certainly up to the task. Personally 10x would be grand for me but everyone is different

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Chopperdog

I dont claim to be an expert on rifles but I keep my scope (Hawke 4x10x44) at x10 the whole time, with the higher magnification it gives you a much better visual on the rabbit and allows for much better shot placement for a cleaner more humane kill.
    It is my belief that a rabbit in the scope at 100m at 6x magnification does not offer me clear enough definition to confidently place a clean humane shot on a vital kill zone.
    If the scope has the magnification, why not use it?
    I appreciate it that it will put manners on the shooter by making him steady up a little bit more to reduce shake from using a high magnification, but in the end it will lead to better shot placement and less wounding of quarry.

fair enough maybe itsthe way im brought up but most people i know use fixed power scopes on CF rifles and dont go above 10 but they are shooting deer

and as for vital kill zone on a rabbit thats pretty much anywhere ive hita few in the arse at 60yards of hand or off my knee and they still die and its not that i try to shoot them there its just well 60 yards offhand hitting the thing is good

also for higher mag you'll want a sound rest

theres also alot of hawke scopes around bought mine cause it was cheap on ebay and looked good thought it would be grand for a rimfire cost €50

theres a bsa sweet 17 3-12x40 sounds like the perfect scope for a hmr

yeah i was talking about magnification like 18-24x as being high, 10 i wouldn't consider high. I too was speaking about shooting bigger game like deer

Also on my scopes anyway, if the magnification is higher (around 18) then you have to put your eye/face closer to the eye piece to get a crisp image and if the rifle (.270) recoils heavily you can get a slap in the face.

it really depends on the application the rifle is being used for as one poster already pointed out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Good for you. You are comfortable with your choice and that is all that really matters. Confidence is the first big step in hitting targets.

Now to the fun but critical part, patterning board to determine where the barrels shoot relative to the owners focal point. Then you can start on the point of impact - POI-.
    Mount the gun and fire like a straight-away clay or bird, do NOT mount like a rifle and use light target ammo of small shot, 7 1/2's or # 8's .

Good luck with your new purchase.

Got slip with info for the Yildiz O/U, but my FO is, as i siad before, like a unicorn so ive to catch him. Get the changes done happy days!!!!
    But know it looks like i cant pick the gun up till monday ARRGGHHHH!!!!!!

I realise four days isnt a long wait but my god ive got no patience and its killing me knowing the gun is there all shiny and new calling out to kill something and i cant get to it!!!!:mad:

Anyway ill have the Yildiz monday, now i just have to wait for the licence for the Brno to come through.............

try having a rifle paid for since the end of march just sitting there in the shop unused and wanting me

Owe ok vegeta you win!!!!

Em seen as i traded in my semi(beretta) for a O/U(new) and a deposit on a new rifle(Brno), i will be doing alot of business with the particular shop in the near future, this brings me to my question..................

When i go to pick up the new O/U, would it be rather cheeky, given how much he will be getting out of me (AL391(€850) + €700), to ask him to throw in 2 or 3 boxes of shells with the O/U????

(Vegeta you say you got four boxes of 3.5" mags thrown in with his latest purchase)

Any thoughts??? If you reckon it might be a bit much of me to expect please say so!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

When i go to pick up the new O/U, would it be rather cheeky, given how much he will be getting out of me (AL391(€850) + €700), to ask him to throw in 2 or 3 boxes of shells with the O/U????

No harm in asking..

As a general rule all such "Extras" are best discussed before the deal is done.
    I would have asked before I agreed to hand over what amounts to €1550.00.

Actually at that price I'd be looking for a gun-slip too.

well as im a bit new, i dont really know how things like that work or how far i can push it!!!!

just say it casually, every gun i have ever bought in various different gun shops have given me free boxes of ammo

A cheeky approach is put a box of ammo or 2 on the counter (when collecting your gun) and pretend to be getting money to buy em and he might just say its ok take em away. Have to be careful though as he might just say that'll be 20 euro please.

Try n get free rifle ammo that's a better deal than shotgun ammo any day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Vegeta wrote:
    Have to be careful though as he might just say that'll be 20 euro please.
    Well, you're gonna need ammo anyway...
    As you say, I've never bought a gun that didn't have ammo and/or a slip and/or a bit of cleaning kit or some such thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Of course this is all factored into the selling price from the start.Youll do better if you look for discounted/free accessories compared to ammo, there's a much higher markup on accessories, so more room for maneuvre.

The guy said i get a slip with the O/U. So as far as accesories go dont need anything, was just looking for a free box or two of shells is all

Just had the cert changed,(FO is a hard man to get), to get the new O/U, if you could see the smile lads, getting the gun in about 9 hours, ill be there when the shop opens!!!!
    Cant wait to get it and take it out!!!!

Ill let you know how it goes!

Just back with the new O/U, cant wait to get out with it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Fabarm Guy

newby.204 wrote:
    Got slip with info for the Yildiz O/U, but my FO is, as i siad before, like a unicorn so ive to catch him. Get the changes done happy days!!!!
    But know it looks like i cant pick the gun up till monday ARRGGHHHH!!!!!!

I realise four days isnt a long wait but my god ive got no patience and its killing me knowing the gun is there all shiny and new calling out to kill something and i cant get to it!!!!:mad:

Anyway ill have the Yildiz monday, now i just have to wait for the licence for the Brno to come through.............

As a matter of interest, does the yildiz have proof marks on it, a mate of mine bought one which had no proof marks, could be dogey for some types of cartridges.

well i traded in my beautiful fabarm SBS for a Beretta Extrema and I have to say I am so so happy with it. Fantastic gun, a little heavy but i'll manage with it.

My brother also traded in his Extrema for an Extrema2, I thought there would be very little difference between them but i couldn't be more worng. It handles so much better than the original, it is lighter as a result and recoil is definitely heavier on the Extrema2 but again a fine gun.

Also handled a Benelli(never spell this right) Super Black Eagle 2, what a gun, if money wasn't an object when i was trading up I would have bought it straight away. To forend looks a little funky but my god i could shoot that gun with my eyes closed, never has a gun fit me so well.

Fabarm Guy wrote:
    As a matter of interest, does the yildiz have proof marks on it, a mate of mine bought one which had no proof marks, could be dogey for some types of cartridges.

Stripped the gun just there looked on the barrels for proof marks, found the serial numder(obviously) and three other markings, but i dont know what they mean.

I am happy with my purchase but this has raised a small concern can anyone help?????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

There's no requirement for prrof marks in Ireland, the same with a lot of countries.

If you post a pic of the markings, we can have a go at identifying them.

• Advertisement

Em i can descibe them for the min, dont have a digi camera but gettin alend of one.

There is three

1)letter M

2)19 with a tri-circle

3)a star* with a dot to the top right.

Like i said ill post pics when i get the digi camera

* the star is a five prong star, one less than an astrix.....

Any help, guesses, opinions welcome

Advertisement