Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

opinions wanted!!!

Options
  • 06-06-2006 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi all,
    hoping to change my car in the next week or so....I am thinking (seriously) about a '96 A4,there are a few of them floating around.Here's 1...
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=390635
    The vrt is included in the price, but I still have to check out the nct...good buy or bad buy?
    Anyway, I don't want to change without checking out other options so with a €5000 limit and up to 1.6,what would you buy?With a balance between style and reliability....so no Fiats etc!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

natnif wrote:
    Hi all,
    hoping to change my car in the next week or so....I am thinking (seriously) about a '96 A4,there are a few of them floating around.Here's 1...
    The vrt is included in the price, but I still have to check out the nct...good buy or bad buy?
    Anyway, I don't want to change without checking out other options so with a €5000 limit and up to 1.6,what would you buy?With a balance between style and reliability....so no Fiats etc!!

To be honest I would not pay €5k for a 10 year old 1.6 litre A4. It is expensive imo. Also maybe it is the photos but that car looks a little jaded to me.

Here are a few cheaper ones:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=438945
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=431392
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=440385

Or better still if you take a trip up North or to the UK yourself, you can pick up a car of this age for very reasonable money. VRT on a 1996 Audi A4 1.6 litre is going to be low.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭natnif

yeah I was lookin at those, I'll prob have a look at the dublin 1,but the kilkenny 1 just seems too cheap.The average price is around €4500 - €5000 for what I'm looking at. The 1 in my link is also higher spec etc....
    I was looking up north but they seem to buy nothin but daysuls up there!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

The older 1.6 A4 is underpowered.

Lovely car, plenty of room, but don't expect to be zooming off at the lights (of course i wouldn't advocate speeding!).

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

I considered getting one of these whe I was changing cars last. I checked up the North a couple of times and I remember that I could have got a 98 1.8 with 60k mile for about 4200 including VRT or a 97 1.8T (150bhp) with 70k for about 4800 including VRT, so the one you included a link to seems quite expensive. If you keep an eye out, I'm sure you'll find cheaper. Its also only a matter of time before somebody posts here telling you that this car is too big for a 1.6 engine. As for possible problems with them, my research never got that far.

Edit: Damn, Mikedragon32 beat me to it

yeah I figured that but limited by ignition course at the mo!the idea is that it will be highly specced,comfortable and fairly reliable,with a bit of style and class.
    I'm driving a cynos at the mo(which is for sale by the way!!!), and I'm just a bit sick of the whole coupe thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

Lovely car, plenty of room, but don't expect to be zooming off at the lights (of course i wouldn't advocate speeding!).

I had a 99 1.6 A4 for about 2 years, wouldn't agree with this, thought the power was fine, revs pretty high when you need it and there was no problem overtaking in it.
    I though it was a fine car, only problems I had were very niggly ones, such as:
    It seams to take ages for the windscreen to clear on a foggy morning because theres only a single vent in the middle of the dash pointeing at the windscreen.
    The whole ventalation system was pretty useless (seamed incapable of keeping the inside of the car either hot or cool!), seams a small thing, but can really piss you off at times.
    Other than that, would definetly reccomend.

thanks padraig.did you ever have any probs with the suspension arms (wishbones)?I have heard that these were a bit weak but haven't talked to a previous owner before

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

natnif wrote:
    thanks padraig.did you ever have any probs with the suspension arms (wishbones)?I have heard that these were a bit weak but haven't talked to a previous owner before

No problems with suspension, had the catalytic convertor go on me, but that was all the hassle I had.
    You sould be able to pick up a nice '97 one of these from the north for about €5k including VRT. I just sold my one about 2 months ago for €7500 (pics) so it should be possible to get something a year or 2 older for 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

as already mentioned, watch for suspension knocks and sweaks in the front suspension, your talking $$$ to fix, and there are 4 arms per suspension, and the one you replace, might not be the one sweaking in the end! This happened to me, replaced 2 arms one side and 1 arm on the passenger side, car still sweaked, so gave up and traded-in:mad:
    also had problems with C.V. joints, but that might have been just my car.

there also cramped in the back seats, you probably wont find a lot of 1.6 litre cars in the UK, but worth a look in autotrader and ebay.

autotrader (you might need to register)

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_search.asp?modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&make=AUDI&model=A4&variant=&keywords=1.6&min_pr=75&max_pr=&mileage=8&agerange=3&postcode=sw19+3rq&miles=1500&max_records=50&source=0&photo=1&sort=3&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH

also ebay: (have a look at the 56K 1996 one)
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-A4-1-6-1996-Only-56k-2-Owner-A1-Condition-WOW_W0QQitemZ4645333994QQcategoryZ9835QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

VRT is only €600 so might be worth importing yourself from the North

€5k is way too much, for that money I'd expect a '98 or even '99 A4 1.6

Would you not consider a TDI? That's what I would do

It's not too bad. The first A4 was very light with the 1.6 engine. Won't be great for overtaking on national roads but for everything else it should be fine

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    VRT is only €600 so might be worth importing yourself from the North

€5k is way too much, for that money I'd expect a '98 or even '99 A4 1.6

Would you not consider a TDI? That's what I would do

It's not too bad. The first A4 was very light with the 1.6 engine. Won't be great for overtaking on national roads but for everything else it should be fine

I have been keeping a check on northern cars alright,but they never seem to have 1.6's,just diesel and I can't insure a 1.9 on the ignition course

If I go to England where there is a choice if I don't find a nice 1 on the first trip I'llbe losing money the 2nd time round.

I've been keeping an eye on the prices for the last few weeks and there isn't a hope of getting a decent '98 for €5000

what about a BMW 316? should be loads of those around the 5K mark here and UK/NI.

watch the engine size, some 316's are actualy 1.8! depending on year

there you go:

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_search.asp?modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&make=BMW&model=3+SERIES&variant=&keywords=316&min_pr=75&max_pr=&mileage=8&agerange=3&postcode=sw19+3rq&miles=1500&max_records=50&source=0&photo=1&sort=3&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH

theres a 96 silver coupe with 89K and m3 wheels for £1800 on autotrader, looks a cracker!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

natnif wrote:
    I can't insure a 1.9 on the ignition course

Did you doublecheck that? A 90BHP 1.9 TDI is slower than a 100BHP 1.6 petrol. I'd have thought performance is more important than engine size?
    natnif wrote:
    there isn't a hope of getting a decent '98 for €5000

10 seconds on the Buy and sell looking for '99 1.6 petrol A4 - and remember these are asking prices, you'll talk the seller down a bit to about €5k:

Ulster Monaghan €5450.00
    AUDI A4 99, 1.6, e/w, c/l, alloy wheels, silver in colour, immaculate condition, NCT'd 03/07, €5450

Audi A4 1.6 Petrol ’99, Connaught Sligo €5500.00
    fsh, 130k motorway mls, fully loaded, all elec, 1 lady owner, 086-3693272

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

unkel wrote:
    Did you doublecheck that? A 90BHP 1.9 TDI is slower than a 100BHP 1.6 petrol. I'd have thought performance is more important than engine size?

insurance companies seem to be all over the shop when it comes to this, i can get a quote on a 125bhp 1.8 20v se leon but they wouldnt quote me on a 1.9 tdi 110bhp, insurance has my head wrecked the past couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

natnif wrote:
    yeah I figured that but limited by ignition course at the mo!the idea is that it will be highly specced,comfortable and fairly reliable,with a bit of style and class.

The 1996 A4 is not highly specced. The standard one has nothing other than front electric windows and mirrors. The TDI got an electric sunroof, but that was extra on the 1.6.

5k on a 10 year old one is sheer madness IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is it just me, or does anyone else think a newer Passat would be a good alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

colm_mcm wrote:
    Passat

I'm surprised it's taken to the 18th post for somone to say the word so here goes..............Octavia. :)

I think from here on , just a one word post saying "octavia" will do for the obligatory mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Had 96/97 1.8 A4 for a while as a company car.
    That ventilation issue mentioned above is REALLY annoying ! You can't keep the windows from fogging up on a wet day and it was always stuffy inside.

The 1.8 (non turbo) drinks like a fish, by the way, once you drive it other than a vicar in slippers would.

I can nearly understand people paying big money for 10 year old BMW's and Mercs, but an A4 is just a tarted up VW.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

colm_mcm wrote:
    I can nearly understand people paying big money for 10 year old BMW's and Mercs, but an A4 is just a tarted up VW.
    So what is stekelly's octavia then? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

natnif wrote:
    yeah I was lookin at those, I'll prob have a look at the dublin 1,but the kilkenny 1 just seems too cheap.The average price is around €4500 - €5000 for what I'm looking at. The 1 in my link is also higher spec etc....
    I was looking up north but they seem to buy nothin but daysuls up there!!!!!

Check out the Kilkenny one. I know that car dealer and he is very good. His after sales service is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Passat is a roomier car than the A4 and uses the same same engines and gear boxes as the A4. Imo the Passat of that time is better value for money than the A4.

Here are a few Passats:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=431418
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=395522
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=438880
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=424440

If you can stretch your budget a little you could have this nice 1999 Comfortline model:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=440016

For around €5k I would rather have a 1999 Passat than a 1996/97 A4 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I dont know where the dealer for the A4 got that price from.

I was looking at A4's this time last year, in the same situation as you with hibernian. Went for a Passat in the end. Found it to be more comfortable with bigger boot. Also, my gut feeling is that the A4's were "generally" more thrashed by boy racers.

We paid 4500 for the Passat feb last year with 75K on the clock, so I dont know where that guy has the nerve to ask 5k for the A4.

Very comfortable car, doesnt accelerate very quick, but its fine if you wind it up a bit.

Stekelly wrote:
    I'm surprised it's taken to the 18th post for somone to say the word so here goes..............Octavia. :)

I think from here on , just a one word post saying "octavia" will do for the obligatory mention.

Octavia is high on my list of cars too, The OP mentioned "style and reliablity" so is a 10 year old Audi/BMW/Merc with 100K plus going to be reliable?
    or is a, say 5 year old octavia going to by stylish enough or the OP?
    It up to the OP in the end.

well I would consider a well looked after 10 yr old to be fairly reliable.I was actually looking at octavia's as well,but I was finding it hard to find 1 without a million miles on it...I'll admit I never thought of the passat.....

well I drove the red a4 I had in my first post today...and it was a ball of sh*te. I t was really loose and nasty so I'm guessing that one has just been drivn into the ground and it's not a sign of build quality??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

natnif wrote:
    Hi all,
    dont go near there for a car i've seen some crocks of sh*t in there and they tried to sell as good

Seat Toledo may be worth a look too. (If you're half-considering the Octavia) Audi-ish dash, and not as budget looking as the Octavia
    g-%20toledo2_105_1998.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

That particular 1.6 A4 goes like a tractor and is rated at about 90BHP.

It's also v.expensive.

If you like A4's, why not check out the newer 1.9Tdi's? They move like the brown-stuff off a shovel and do about 1000 miles to a full tank.

There's also good deals on 3-series BMW's of the same vintage.

Even better, check out the UK as you'd get a lot more for your money for that age plus the VRT would be tiny.

• Advertisement

well I can't afford anything newer,and as I said in the first post I am limited to a 1.6 by the hibernian ignition course. I have checked out the importing idea and its just not viable unless from the north

Advertisement