Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grinds...

Options
  • 06-06-2006 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Idgeitman

Just curious over the course of the year, how much did you fork over for grinds?.

Personally, My parents spent around €1000 on maths grinds, got them twice a week!
    i'll be shot of I dont pass at this rate lol.

- Idgeitman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

€0.00 not a single cent on grinds for me.

i dont buy success, i work for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

i didn't spend a penny/cent either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

smemon wrote:

:rolleyes: Must you be such an asshole?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

5 grinds at €25 a pop = €125

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

i did physics and applied maths in the Institute so however much that cost

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

Last year 1000 for German and ended up with a D :eek:
    But I'll always suck at German

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

€0 here too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Idgeitman

smemon wrote:

I never wanted to buy any success, Just pull my head above the water. And having maths hammered into me one-on-one at every waking moment did the job for me.
    Thankfully ive been doing alot better then i did for years with the help of the grinds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

smemon wrote:
    Grrrrr

When I spent a grand on German I can honestly say I got nothing from it :eek: I daydreamed :p

It's not like you give them money and they hook you up to a machine with all the information. No matter how many grinds you get at the end of the day it's down to what you actually learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

These exams are way too important to not get help if you need it
    End of the day if you fail what are you left with, some misguiged sense of pride? (oo thats goin in my essay):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

€0 for me also

ThrownAway wrote:
    It's not like you give them money and they hook you up to a machine with all the information.

One day... one day.. :D

it's an unfair advantage.

some people can't afford them, others can. it's not a level playing field. i'd prefer to get points on my own rather than paying someone to drill something into me.

€1000 for grinds? thats ridiculous imo. such a waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

I cud say that I have never paid for grinds but I do pay €20 a week for my tech drawin class its not grinds its my class as I dont do the subject in school.

Also I got 2 a private school its around €2000 a year but im not to sure on that number tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

smemon wrote:
    it's an unfair advantage.

some people can't afford them, others can. it's not a level playing field. i'd prefer to get points on my own rather than paying someone to drill something into me.

€1000 for grinds? thats ridiculous imo. such a waste of money.

I kinda agree even though i got some grinds myself because i need to pass maths. One of my techers keeps saying really that LC students acroos country are competing against each other for college places and hes right!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

Rockerette wrote:
    €0 for me also
    moi aussi!

Believe me, If i could get grinds for free, i would. It is crazy to have to spend €1000, and I'd rather have a big tv instead.

People also pay 4k to go to private secondary schools to try improve their chances of better grades.

But I needed them to get me to pass maths, or i'd be repeating. What would i rather, -1000 euro or repeating?

Id rather loose the 1000.

"To each their own"

- idgeitman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

€6000...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

Shrimp wrote:
    €6000...

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭michelle_ie

amm 30 euro for a math course. 20 euro for a package i downloaded of examsupport.ie.
    and im getting my first math grind tomorrow evenin! late i know but sure he might reassure me a bit, he costs 15 euro an hour and ill get him like 4 times for biology too!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I did grinds in the Institute over Easter...did a physics grind until Christmas because I didn't do it in school...sin é

well call me insane but i'd rather have my laptop, car and healthy bank account than 600 points and nothing.

i'll get over 450 and pass everything cause i worked for 6 years. i ask myself is 150 points worth about €8000, i don't think so.

if i measure my points in money, id be worth about €24000 + material assets, with a maximum value i could of got of €32000.

id rather have €24000 and luxuries rather than €32000 and nothing.

smemon wrote:
    well call me insane but i'd rather have my laptop, car and healthy bank account than 600 points and nothing.

or both?

smemon, you have to be the most arrogant person ever...

and anyway, think of it in the long term, do you do economics? Do you know the Multiplier effect?

Money put in here now can multiply to plenty more later.
    if Shrimp has had €6000 spent on grinds, and that money equates to 60 extra points, and a better degree, and a job, then would you not consider that a good investment?

i do

smemon, you have to be the most arrogant person ever...

and anyway, think of it in the long term, do you do economics? Do you know the Multiplier effect?

Money put in here now can multiply to plenty more later.
    if Shrimp has had €6000 spent on grinds, and that money equates to 60 extra points, and a better degree, and a job, then would you not consider that a good investment?

i do
    BTW that figure includes school fee...

Money put in here now can multiply to plenty more later.if Shrimp has had €6000 spent on grinds, and that money equates to 60 extra points, and a better degree, and a job, then would you not consider that a good investment?

not if you dont need the extra points. i dont want to be a doctor or rocket scientist so i dont need 550+

there's no such thing as a 'better degree' by the way. im not gonna take a degree course which matches my points tally, that's stupid.

i want a degree im actually interested in as i'll probably spend the rest of my life in it.

grinds are a bad habit, you can't always get help from someone. you can't always pay someone to do your work for you.

as you say they don't hook you up to a machine or plant chips in your head - they just give you information, the same information that is available for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Richard W

I'm on the opposite end of all you guys. I give grinds, and it kicks ass. Too bad there's no market for this in the summer.

Oh and as for that "better degree" thing. If you get into a course that you couldn't have gotten into without grinds, like needed physics grinds for a science degree or something, you probably shouldn't be doing that course, and will most likely end up with a crap degree. I hate to be Baron Von Bringdown but it's true. However, if you just need to get a high mark in English to get into medicine, that's grand, cause I don't think you hugely need to be good at English for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

um......i go to the institute so i guess that is like just grinds everyday. so that is about........5,500?

smemon wrote:
    not if you dont need the extra points. i dont want to be a doctor or rocket scientist so i dont need 550+

there's no such thing as a 'better degree' by the way. im not gonna take a degree course which matches my points tally, that's stupid.

i want a degree im actually interested in as i'll probably spend the rest of my life in it.

grinds are a bad habit, you can't always get help from someone. you can't always pay someone to do your work for you.

as you say they don't hook you up to a machine or plant chips in your head - they just give you information, the same information that is available for free.

okay never mind "better" degree, how about the difference in points equating to a difference of a level 6 course and a level 8 course?

the person in the level 8 course will be earning more, faster, than the level 6 person who has to spend extra years to transfer to the level 8 course

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Richard W

okay never mind "better" degree, how about the difference in points equating to a difference of a level 6 course and a level 8 course?

the person in the level 8 course will be earning more, faster, than the level 6 person who has to spend extra years to transfer to the level 8 course

Yeah but if you needed help to get into a level 8 course, you'll probably need help throughout the entire degree, and if you get a good one, well it's nice that you got a good degree, but you may need help in whatever profession you choose, and you'll pretty much be unemployable.

Unless you wanted some easy cushy job that didn't have relevance to your course

Advertisement