Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will you be getting a Conroe

Options
  • 06-06-2006 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭

i might dont know yet what about everone else.

will you ? 80 votes

not shure
    0%
    nope
    28%
    StephenastrofoolSerbianpo0kDooomBigEejitmagickmaxpowerBadCharlieWizZardTheHairyFairymang87glineOptikusIrishpimpdudeawhirGrumPyEndurance ManThe GnomeKamiKazi 23 votes
    will be getting E6700
    27%
    Mythagodazberrynobodytherestereo_steveCivilServantSouperComputerquarrymantechiehopefulPacificoKhannieAlkersCiaran500andy1249IdgeitmanDrapperpoggyyoucancallmealirish_stuMunsterCycling 22 votes
    will be getting E6600
    3%
    Matt SimisGilgameshAnti 3 votes
    will be getting E6400
    31%
    SickBoySkud^whitey^DirkVoodootuxypeterk19jesus_thats_greRichard Dowerslayer91JammerThe Real B-manMistmyrWillieDHpadraig_fTomCoK.O.KikimasteroftherealmMalafusCuddlesworthChosen 25 votes
    will be getting E6300
    1%
    iggyman 1 vote
    will be getting the king X6800
    7%
    EyesOnlySengoku79RoenzumaTimanscf_al_bs 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Yes, If the financial situation over the summer works out ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

will be getting E6400
    Well, ive been meaning to build a PC for some time now and as soon as im ready to jump on the AMD bandwagon, i hear about this conroe thing, read some intel arranged benchmarks (they seemed good) so yeah, im gonna get the 6600.

My only regret is now i wont get to stick some amusing pro-AMD and anti-intel stickers on my case to amuse myself.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

nope
    DirkVoodoo wrote:
    My only regret is now i wont get to stick some amusing pro-AMD and anti-intel stickers on my case to amuse myself.... :(

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

will be getting E6700
    DirkVoodoo wrote:
    My only regret is now i wont get to stick some amusing pro-AMD and anti-intel stickers on my case to amuse myself....

sorted!

Dont think ill be getting one In typical SC fashion, ill wait for all you guys to sell your S939 gear and overclock the $hit out of that instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

nope
    NO not until i see some good independant reviews of it , and see how they match up to am2, pre release hype is just exactly that hype!

emotion chip anyone?! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

will be getting E6700
    Only if my current computer can't run a game I want to play, because that's really the only difference you'll see. Woah I saved an extra 10 mins on that xvid encode, I shaved 2 mins from a maya render that took all night, lol. And even then it's the graphics card that makes the most difference. I'll leave it til next year. Dual core amds will do for this year. :cool:

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

will be getting E6400
    magick wrote:
    NO not until i see some good independant reviews of it , and see how they match up to am2, pre release hype is just exactly that hype!

emotion chip anyone?! :D

Ermmmmm........... hype??

A $250 E6600 beating a $1000 FX-62 in every benchmark?

The Conroe is a beast of a CPU its not some Intel marketing bull, they spent $6.5billion on R&D they NEED it to be good and it is...........

As always, I am finding it very difficult to make a decision on what to do:D

1.Should I get a E6600 and a good 975X board and some Crucial Ballistix DDR2, and sell my current Lanparty, 3700, ballistix while they are still worth a bit

2.Wait until Christmas and see what K8l is like, if it pwns the Conroe I will go AMD if it doesnt I will go conroe, but by Christmas my current gear will be "old" and I wont get a lot of money for it......

Because knowing my luck, I would get a nice Conroe setup over the summer, and then at Christmas K8L will destroy it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

AMD just seem too...I don't know...relaxed about the whole affair. They have something up their sleeves and I reckon its the K8L. Personally I'd wait till then to be honest. :)

will be getting E6400
    I have really lost my respect for AMD:mad:

They were always the best bang for buck company and since they got the performance crown they have been gradually increasing prices:mad:

Intel have a dual core CPU for €140

AMD's cheapest Dual core is ~€320 and although it is a LOT better, its not 100%+ better.........

AMD really need to release something like an X2 sempron to keep their customers happy until K8L arrives......

The prices of AMD's CPUs will plummet in a few weeks probably to half the current price because when Dell start shipping machines with E6600 for €800, that run rings around FX-62 machine where the CPU alone cost €1000+ That will not look good for AMD................

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

nope
    If Conroe performs like its said to, then the price of AMD processors will drop proportionately to match the equivelent Intel. It's soon to be a good time to get a cheap, powerful PC (and watch Vista's bells and whistles cripple it).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Conroe looks good looks very good indeed. However will wait and see when its released if its performance stack up with the previews.

AMD's response is the overkill 4x4 system. Who needs 4 cpu cores? who can afford it?

But I'm wondering if AMD manages to combine it with its so called anti-hyperthreading technology then things might look completly different to the picture been painted at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

We won't be seeing any sign of their reverse-hyperthreading this generation from their soon to be released chips. By the sounds of it it's going to take a total redesign to be able to use it, not just some crappy last minue throw-an-extra-cpu-on-a-motherboard-and-tell-idiots-that-quadcore-makes-games-go-faster type solution.

will be getting E6400
    Although 4X4 is a quick fix until K8L arrives......

It is a good idea, People will be able to build very powerful workstations/servers that use low latency even overclocked DDR2 ram....

Most opteron servers at the minute use crappy registered DDR333 ram with horrible latencies.......

It will also provide an upgrade path like the SLI upgrade path. add a second CPU later for more performance.......

This shouldnt be aimed at gamers, because it doesnt matter if you have 2 or 16 2.8ghz, they will perform the same in games.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

nope
    At the moment, I'm leaning towards Conroe alright. Although the only balls is I'm going to have to learn all the stupid CPU names. E6700? Why not just call it "Conroe. 2.6ghz. F*ckin Fast."
    Almost makes me want to stick with AMD, for the names.

I agree with Faceless Man though, there's something up, and I don't want to go dropping a few grand on a new machine when AMD will (knowing my luck) pop out with K8l and beat Conroe to death with a metal bar.

nope
    AMD AMD AMD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

nope
    i dont think il be getting one anytime soon as i just got the 805,
    also i want to wait and see what amd's response to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

nope
    its early days yet. theres no way of knowing what to expect until we see some benchmarks and see what AMDs response is. If AMD drops there prices i'll stick with AMD, otherwise i'll probably make the move to intel. But as i said i'll let the reviewers do the work for me.

will be getting E6400
    I know im going to get crucified for saying this, but at least with everyone going DDR2 now (I heard DDR3 by end of 07 at the earliest) it means that if you go conroe now and K8L later, you will only lose A LOT of money instead of A HELL OF A LOT of money...just a thought now.

Like i said, im thinking conroe, as much as i would like to wait and watch each company leap-frog the other, I have a few games that I want to enjoy while they are still 'cutting edge' and that is probably my deciding factor for going conroe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

will be getting E6400
    I'm READY for Conroe!, i'll either get a E6600 or E6700..depends on the multi of the CPU and what will bring me close to DDR2 800. Since both chips run at 533Mhz FSB.

I have a 2GB kit of G.SKILL ready, 4-4-4-12-1T @ DDR2 800, i'll probably get the top end Gigabyte Intel 965P mobo and i am thinking about the OCZ GameXtreme 700W PSU for juice.

nope
    I'm READY for Conroe!, i'll either get a E6600 or E6700..depends on the multi of the CPU and what will bring me close to DDR2 800. Since both chips run at 533Mhz FSB.

I have a 2GB kit of G.SKILL ready, 4-4-4-12-1T @ DDR2 800, i'll probably get the top end Gigabyte Intel 965P mobo and i am thinking about the OCZ GameXtreme 700W PSU for juice.

looks nice man and i think the max mutil for the e6600 is 9 but the e6700 is 11 or somthing read it awhile bback.

• Advertisement

nope
    3dm06.gif

cpu.gif

sm20.gif

sm30.gif

intram.gif

floatram.gif

intsse2.gif

fpsse2.gif

dhrystone.gif

d31024.gif

d31280.gif

d31600.gif

02.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭mac_leinn

will be getting E6400
    Im looking to build a PC now and was looking at a 939 based system a few weeks ago but decided to wait for AM2. But since AM2 it isnt readily available at the moment it looks like ill be waiting a bit longer for conroe.

Does anyone else think amd messed up a little by not having am2 cpus available in large quantities on 23rd may? Every week they're not available is a week closer to conroe. Thats why i voted for "im getting a E6600". :)

BYW conzymaher, I noticed that "amd>intel" in your sig keeps getting smaller and smaller. It was fricking huge a few months ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

will be getting E6400
    I was also looking to build a rig but conroe is putting it in doubt now. Was going to go for the socket 939 amd get a cheap processor and cheap graphics so I can upgrade next year and get SLI but doesnt look the best atm.

Saying that is Conroe really going to be that cheap? and if it is the ball is very much in AMD's court and the response they have to it. Clearly it's knocked them down a peg, and with ATI just after pipping Nvidia it's a buyers market for at least the next year with competition :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

nope
    i dont really no yet, i have a laptop at the mo so i cant upgrade, but maybe ill build a custom rig next summer and stick a conroe in it

nope
    pull the dell lapy apart its what it desvers.

will be getting E6400
    mac_leinn wrote:
    Im looking to build a PC now and was looking at a 939 based system a few weeks ago but decided to wait for AM2. But since AM2 it isnt readily available at the moment it looks like ill be waiting a bit longer for conroe.

Does anyone else think amd messed up a little by not having am2 cpus available in large quantities on 23rd may? Every week they're not available is a week closer to conroe. Thats why i voted for "im getting a E6600". :)

BYW conzymaher, I noticed that "amd>intel" in your sig keeps getting smaller and smaller. It was fricking huge a few months ago :D

:D It was removed because it was too big, so I had to make it smaller:D

I love AMD:)

Anyway, I have decided to wait until K8l is released to go dual core.........

And I just found out that you can use two K8L Quad core CPUs in a 4X4 motherboard for 8 cores!!!!:D

And you can use one K8L CPU and one PPU (allegedly) in the other socket

And its semi-confirmed that AMD have bought ATI, and will be announcing it in 2 weeks so, expect some sort of AMD/ATI ppu type thingy:D

nope
    amd and ati = sweet :D

will be getting E6400
    Not really.......

What if AMD/ATI decide that they wont allow Nvidia to make chipsets for AMD......

What if K8l or some features of it wont work with the current Nforce 590 boards and only ATI boards.....

What if there is a performance hit unless unless you use a AMD/ATI setup.....

Hopefully neither company are actually this mean.........

Wouldnt it be great if Intel bought Nvidia (unlikely as intel have the majority of the graphics market) and there was a super duper price war:)

I can smell the cheap CPUs and GPUs:D

will be getting E6400
    The intitial price of conroe is going to be as stated, but it wont matter for us mere mortals as the first shipments will be swallowed up by computer manufacturers (thank you dell!) so the first supplies will be limited, meaning prices could get a little out of control. Cant remember where i read this, lack of linkage, but they said that conroe might be hard to come by upon release :(

AM2 might be a good buy until christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Advertisement