Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attitudes to England national team

• 06-06-2006 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm English and I've lived here for for about nearly five years.
    In the time I've been here, the only 'anti-English' comments I have had are 'I hope you get beat!' but conversely, there was the survey that said 35% of Irish people would support England in the World Cup
    I understand why there would be negativity towards England as a national side.

But how far would it go?

Would I be asking for trouble wearing an England shirt to watch a match in a pub? Especially if England *weren't* playing? Someone tried to tell me I would have been fine wearing an England shirt watching Ireland v. Spain (I was supporting Ireland BTW!) but I wasn't so sure!
    What about just walking around town?
    Flying a St. George's Cross outside my house. I think that one might be going too far...

I've worn my West Ham shirt around and got a bit of good-natured slagging...but I'm not sure I'd risk it for an England top
    Please excuse me if this seems just like paranoia!

Del

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Hi all,
    I'm English and I've lived here for for about nearly five years.
    In the time I've been here, the only 'anti-English' comments I have had are 'I hope you get beat!' but conversely, there was the survey that said 35% of Irish people would support England in the World Cup
    I understand why there would be negativity towards England as a national side.

But how far would it go?

Would I be asking for trouble wearing an England shirt to watch a match in a pub? Especially if England *weren't* playing? Someone tried to tell me I would have been fine wearing an England shirt watching Ireland v. Spain (I was supporting Ireland BTW!) but I wasn't so sure!
    What about just walking around town?
    Flying a St. George's Cross outside my house. I think that one might be going too far...

I've worn my West Ham shirt around and got a bit of good-natured slagging...but I'm not sure I'd risk it for an England top
    Please excuse me if this seems just like paranoia!

Del

wearing an english jersey around town, nobody would really give it a second look, english flag hanging out ur window probably wouldnt be the best idea...assuming u prefer actual glass within the window frame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Well, tbh anybody who mocks you for wearing your countries jersey is an idiot. Just last week, i was in the pub and about 4 people were wearing english jerseys - they werent together, and there was only about 12 people (not including me and my friends) there. Not one word was said, and nothing should be said!

You're only supporting your home country, so no need to be ashamed or scared!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I would have no problem with people wearing english or anyother countries jersey to pubs I doubt you would get much trouble in the majority of pubs except for a few idiotic biggiots.

I will however be chearing on englands oposition in each of their games.
    Not because of some anti english hatred but because of rivalry some say because england are our closest neighbour we should suport them rubbish
    Do the canadians suport the yanks, Belgians suport the Dutch, in club football do Inter suport AC do rangers suport celtic etc no as morrissey once said "We hate it when our friends become succesful"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Not because of some anti english hatred but because of rivalry some say because england are our closest neighbour we should suport them rubbish

:rolleyes: we all watch the english league
    we all know the players ya know, why would we not like to see them do well?

maybe a bit dodgy, a union jack on the other hand, bonfire night!

i wouldn't give two flying ****s what jersey you wear but there are some idiots around, and to be fair a lot of them support football and a lot of them will be in pubs drinking during the day so it could be troublesome. If i were in england i would wear an Irish jersey but only to an Irish bar, i wouldn't have the nerve to risk it in a non-irish bar.

Com'on England!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Where do you live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yeah, it all depends on where you live and what pubs you plan on watching the games in, I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Im guessing somewhere in Galway.

You shouldnt have trouble with you jersey, Joe. Although, late on at night you may come across one or two idiots, so be best to be on your guard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

We have this conversation every two/four years and the simple answer is we are begrudging bas***ds. Its a bitter, jealous rivalry that is no different than the rivalry between say United and Pool.

I dont expect to walk down a street in Liverpool with a United shirt on and not expect to get stick and vice versa. But yet every two/four years people get offended by the lack of support for the English team.

Dont even try tell me that I would get away with walking round London with an Ireland jersey on in a summer Ireland had qualified for a tournament and England hadnt.

This sh*t happens everywhere, its the ugly side of supporting a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

This sh*t happens everywhere, its the ugly side of supporting a team.

I wouldnt call rivarly an ugly side to sprot. Its a pretty essential part to it actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I wouldnt call rivarly an ugly side to sprot. Its a pretty essential part to it actually.

Not so much the rivalry, its the ignorant antics of some who think they are football fans and do things in the name of football, e.g. those as**oles who boo Rangers players at Lansdowne.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I've no problem with english people supporting their country wherever they are. It's the media hype and the hooliganism in other countries that make me wanna see them loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Thanks for the replies so far guys.
    I live just inside Co. Galway, about 12 miles from Roscommon

(From 'wheresmejumpa'):
    Dont even try tell me that I would get away with walking round London with an Ireland jersey on in a summer Ireland had qualified for a tournament and England hadnt.

Believe it or not, there were plenty of Ireland shirts around during USA '94. Most of us were desperate to try and claim some sort of Irish lineage! And I don't think anyone shouted louder than me when Ray's shot went in :D

I'm certainly not offended by Irish people who don't want England to do well. I can understand perfectly logical reasons for it.

I certainly would be thinking twice (or a lot more times!) about the flag. Although I was up in Cavan and saw an England flag in a fella's garden. 'Braver man than I!' I thought!
    I do have one hanging up inside the house though :D

Del

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Joe, I don't think you'll get any hassle wearing your jersey in the pubs during the world cup. Flying the flag, you might get one or 2 idiots throwing an egg...I'd bet on it...idiots that they are, but they are out there.

I will be cheering England on all the way...all my friends in England cheered Ireland on for 2002. Lookin forward to the first game on Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭tap28

Do the canadians suport the yanks, Belgians suport the Dutch, in club football do Inter suport AC do rangers suport celtic etc no as morrissey once said "We hate it when our friends become succesful"

I agree with you.
    However, I have to add the English media's arrogance and their lack of ability to act responsible astounds me. I honestly can not think of another country's media (a few months away from the WC) that would deliberately set-up their own manager into getting fired, then hound the most probable new manager into running away and we never hear a word about there role in either incident. I have to question whether they really want the own country to perform to the best they can or prefer a good headline:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

tap28 wrote:
    I have to question whether they really want the own country to perform to the best they can or prefer a good headline:confused:

Like most businesses, they want to maximise their profit. Hounding the national manager sells papers. Hell, even thousands of Irish men and women seem to fall for it...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Wear your geansai if you want. There's more than enough people who would support you in wearing it, but think you're a bit mad, jayseez help ye. I don't support England, surprisingly enough, but I defend your right to support them. Isn't that Crouchy ****er a long streak of piss all the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

doubt you'd have to much trouble these days wearing an english jersey, saw quite a few of them around clare at the weekend.

Flying the flag, is probably asking for trouble, I wouldn't advise it.

And, I never had any hassel wearing Irish colours in London, I wouldn't in parts of Glasgow but in most of England its ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

deffenatly wouldn't advise flying a english flg or union jack outside your house...best case scenario neighbors would frown, worst case scenario you could get a brick through the window. Depends on the area i suppose :/

As for the jersey, not a bother, you could pretty much wear it to any (main stream) pub or anywhere around town...especially at this time of year, WC and all...(steer clear of the widows scallon on pearse st. or somewhere simular :eek:)

The only way you might get hassle is a load of English lads in jerseys on tables in a pub chanting the "great escape" theme tune, jumping up and down, beating a drum and playing a trumpet....yes I have seen this happen and no it didn't end pretty :(

Personally, I couldn't give a sh*t, but you'll find a lot of people who don't have Ireland support in a major final, anti-support England :D

Watch all there games and, as apposed to supporting them, cheer on the other team and hope England lose :p

I am ashamed (proud) to admit I am a big antiEngland supporter!!

It's only a bit of craic anyhow, nothing serious :)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I know a Milwall fan (yes, possibly one of the bad ones), and a real hard man. He wears England soccer and rugby jerseys to my local without a problem. This pub would be strongly (to say the least!) a republican pub.

Of course he gets a bit of slagging and banter is exchanged but nothing derogatory.

On the other hand his friend (another cockney, and Arsenal fan), who is a loud mouth and complete headcase has been known to get into a few arguements and what came close enough to fights on a few occasions.

That should say it all really. If you don't go looking for a trouble, you won't get it.

By the way, I won't be supporting England unless Rooney is playing. I dislike the majority of the team apart from Rooney, Neville and possibly Robinson. Plus the fact that the English media are impossible to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I hope England do well and will be supporting them when they don't play the teams I have slapped my hard earned shackles on to win the tourny, Argentina and Spain :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

I've seen quite a few people in town wearing an english jersey, never got a second glance from anyone.

My mother is supporting england this year because she thinks Crouch is such a nice young lad...... women and soccer dont mix

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't want England to win for the main simple reason that we would never hear the end of it from the media (it's been 40 years, give it a rest!!!!).

Like most people in Ireland I have lots of relations/friends from England and I will be watching the England games with some of them, and they will have their jerseys on in pubs for the games too. They know I won't support England even though they would support Ireland, and they understand why, and there is good banter about it.

On the other hand a mate of mine (taxi driver) was driving down Sheriff St the other day and seen 2 lads wearing England jerseys. He advised them to get in his cab free of charge before they got the crap kicked out of them.

As has been said, as long as you avaoid it in certain areas the vast majority of people will not give a damn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Yet Irish people have no hassle in supporting english teams :) But when it comes to internationals "feckin english cants!" The hypocrisy of it all.

Have to say when I was in London during the last WC in Korea/Japan I had no hassle in my irish shirt and most people I met were hoping for Ireland to do well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

A this aul gem of an argument comes back up again. Its a strange one as I do support England to an extent. I'm a Chelsea fan so naturally I want to see Cole, Lampard and Terry do really well in this WC but as soon as England start to look like they may get somewhere then I want them to loose. Now this is not because of the players, the team, 1916 or some other bull, its because of their media.

We still have not heard the end of 1966, its like football has ceased to exist on an international scale since then. They still release dvd's and everything about the great victory over the old enemy. If they win this WC we will never hear the end of it.

Take Rugby as a fine example. England won the world cup, fair play hats off they were class. They had every right to rub it in our faces for a couple of years but did they? No. Would anyone even know now that they won it? No chances are you've forgotten all about it. Thats gentlemanly and respectful. If the media was like that regarding their football team then I'd cheer for them. I was in Liverpool at the weekend and there was more noise made over the Jamacia game than there was over that Rugby WC win!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I think this says it all really. Got this in an email.

World Cup Guidelines for BBC & ITV commentary teams:

1 - Within 1 minute of kick-off in the opening match (Germany v Costa Rica), commentators must mention England.

2 - Regardless of what two teams are contesting the final, England have to be mentioned within the first minute.

3 - All commentators must refer to the Falkland Isles, the "Hand of God" goal and "that" Michael Owen goal at some point in the match if England play Argentina.

4 - Whenever a hat trick is scored, comparisons with Geoff Hurst must be made within seconds of the third goal hitting the net.

5 - Should England wear their red jerseys, then '1966' should be mentioned approximately 20 times.

6 - 1966 will be mentioned approximately 10 times a match, or only on 5 occasions for matches not involving England.

7 - Prior to the captain of the winning team (Brazil) lifting the trophy, the commentator will mention Bobby Moore. And 1966.

8 - When Germany are playing, they must be referred to as being efficient by the commentator on at least 14 occasions. This must refer to their style, their passing, their haircuts, their diet and their general footballing ability.

9 - Should England play Germany, references to Winston Churchill, Dambusters, The Luftwaffe, "that" Russian linesman and Adolf Hitler will be compulsory. And of course, 1966.

10 - All Scottish members of commentary teams must continue to refer to England as "we" and "us".

11 - We must ensure that nationlistic stereotypes are adhered to. Of course, the Germans are efficient. The Spanish are bottlers. The Ivory Coast are skillful but bad at defending. The Angolans are disorganised. The Argentinians are cheats and the French are only good because their best players play in England.

12 - For matches not involving England, we must only discuss the players that are playing in England. (eg - Holland v Argentina should be referred to as Van Nistelroy v Crespo).

13 - The mythical "bulldog spirit" phrase should be used as often as possible.

14 - Each match involving England should begin with the phrase "England Expects."

15 - Should any player be involved in an injury that involves the loss of teeth, then references to Nobby Stiles and 1966 are compulsory.

16 - If in doubt, mention 1966.

17 - Praise all of the stunning new stadia in Germany but emphasise that they lack the presence of Wembley, the spiritual home of football since 1966.

18 - Commentators should feel free to imitate the style of Kenneth Wolstenholme, the hero of 1966.

19 - Should any team feature brothers playing together, then Jackie and Bobby Charlton should be mentioned.

20 - Should England draw Italy in the knockout phase, it must be billed as an "Italian Job".

21 - And if England bow out after the first stage, we must emphasise that it is a massive blow to world football and a serious loss to the World Cup, having actually won the World Cup... in 1966.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

i will be wearing my england jersey and i`ve had no hassle in the past,but as a couple of posters have said common sense is needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Flying a flag outside your house isnt the best idea!! 700 hundred years doesnt disappear over night!!

I dont think wearing a jersey into a pub would be a problem but beware of the slagging you will get! your in the country so most people would only see it as a bit of crack, in Dublin its a different story!!

Best laugh I had was years ago one of my mates in college was living in a dodgy area up the north, every house on his street had the Union jack etc hanging outside the house and his didn't. Anyway Cavan where playing in the Ulster final(we won) and me and him where on the beer most of the morning in preparation for the final. When the teams came out and they played the national antemn we got the TV and put it beside the window and turned the volume up to the last. Lets just say the situation got hostile!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

I take all the points re the media. They wind *me* up enough!
    As for '66, it's only got so bad over the last ten years since Euro '96. In the build-up to '82 '86 and even '90, it wasn't anywhere near as hyped as it is now, mainly because being a football fan wasn't cool.
    In fact I blame Gazza, if he hadn't started bloody crying :D we wouldn't have all these celeb fans all over the papers and the telly!

As for the Rugby WC, let's see when the next one comes round :D

Del

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭DnaDog

I am English but cannot stand the English national team, I am a club before country person and support Newcastle, so I have learnt not to expect too much out of life :)

I could not support England as I dislike every player on the squad apart from Owen naturally. why would I go on and cheer the likes of Terry, Ferdinand or Beckham when I spend the rest of the season wishing them the worst of luck and injury :)

Also can you imagine if they win we will have to endure another 40 years of clips of it and constant chatter about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

As an Irishman I hope the English NY and club sides all fail miserably.

However, I respect an Englishman who lives here following his NT and club. It's only natural that he does.

Irish people following the English NT or clubs? :rolleyes:

Zebra3 wrote:
    As an Irishman I hope the English NY and club sides all fail miserably.

However, I respect an Englishman who lives here following his NT and club. It's only natural that he does.

Irish people following the English NT or clubs? :rolleyes:

What the bloody hell are you talking about????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

DubGuy wrote:
    steer clear of the widows scallon on pearse st. or somewhere simular :eek:
    It's shut down over a year now and they've taken over Maroney's (Pearse Tavern). I wouldn't go near any pub in a working class area with an England shirt on but around town would be fine. I haven't a clue what'd be like in Galway. I was in a Pearse Street pub watching Ireland v Nigeria and a Nigerian lad was in there on his own and there was 1 or 2 things said to him. It's all about the area you're in as most have said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Big Nelly wrote:
    What the bloody hell are you talking about????

I'm talking about 'Attitudes to the England national team'-and giving mine.

It's what the thread is about in case you hadn't noticed.

Zebra3 wrote:
    I'm talking about 'Attitudes to the England national team'-and giving mine.

It's what the thread is about in case you hadn't noticed.

What is English NY and English NT?

Your post above doesn't make a bit of sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

you should be grand wearing your shirt around the countryside in ireland.... it'd only be dodgy in dublin/cork/limerick or the big cities/towns...i dont think Co. Galway/Roscommon is gonna be much bother :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I dont think Irish people are begrudging towards the English football team.
    The English media ,FA and the players bring alot of it on themselves.
    They are narrow minded,bigoted and outrageously arrogant.

This is the same team that refused to enter a World Cup until 1950 believing itself to be the best.
    England's World Cup debut came in 1950; however, they suffered an infamous 1-0 loss to the United States and failed to get beyond the first group stage.

In 1953 England's tactical inferiority was highlighted on November 25, 1953, when Hungary came to visit Wembley Stadium.
    Before the match English players were lauging at the Hungarians and their strange foot attire.
    One English player said "Look at that little fat chap (Puskas). We'll murder this lot."
    Hungary, one of the best sides in the world and fielding legendary players such as Sándor Kocsis and Ferenc Puskás, outclassed the English 6-3 - this was England's first ever home loss to Continental opposition. In the return match in Budapest, Hungary won 7-1, which still stands as England's worst ever defeat.

It should not be forgotten that England played all their matches in the 1966 World Cup at Wembley .

Every England manager is built up initially ,only to be brutally cut down both on and off the pitch.

The English cricket team beat Australia last year for the first time in 18 years and they were given MBE's by the Queen.
    They lost 17 years in a row,they should be ashamed of how poor their previous performances were.
    You would think that England had won the cricket world cup by the nations response.

Everything is blown up out of magnitude,be it good or bad.
    If he is English he must be the best because eh 'He is english' and he eats British beef.
    The average Englishman is one of the nicest people you will meet but I will not be cheering for England due to the above reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Big Nelly wrote:
    What is English NY and English NT?

Your post above doesn't make a bit of sense

Try to figure it out...

NY = typo (meant to be NT)

NT = National Team

Try to figure it out...

NY = typo (meant to be NT)

NT = National Team

People who use stupid txt talk should be banned off boards, if they cant type a few letters then they should be held in distane

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Irish in general don't like to see the English win anything because we read all the English papers and all the shíte that gets printed in them if England do happen to win something. Also, there is a rivalry brewed into us from our early years and is pretty much nationwide. It's not malicious. We just really do enjoy a laugh at Englands expense. It could be compared to the banter that goes on between two friends that support different clubs.

However, the VAST majority of Irish, while desperately holding on to our desire to laugh at the English going down, will silently be supporting England in this years world cup. Because this year they might actually have a somewhat of chance so all the over optimistic cráp in the papers and tv may actually be justified.

Although Ireland doesn't like to admit it, like I don't like to admit that I enjoyed seeing Liverpool win the CL, I think that Ireland secretly supports England.

If England win I'll be delighted for them.

For about a day.

Then I'll see the newspapers.

I was delighted to see Liverpool win the CL but I'm still listening to the shíte the fans are bleating now. They deserved it. The are the best. HAH! SHÍTE!

Every team needs luck to win a Cup competition and I hope England get the luck. They deserve a little. Unlike Liverpool. They got wwaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy too much.

As far as wearing England jerseys is concerned; unfortunately Ireland still holds the scum and dregs of an earlier time where there was real hatred between the two countries. Wearing an England jersey just brings you to the attention of these neanderthol beings.

And due to the fact that they are nearly all to a man uneducated, ignorant scumbags, they are also the people most likely to put a brick in your face.

An England jersey is no problem to 99% of people in Ireland - it's just a jersey on a person who is obviously English. However, the 1% of people in Ireland that you most want to stay away from happen to be the only ones who will take offence to it.

C'mon England!

God help us if they win though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

No thread is complete without a quick Liverpool got lucky jibe.

I'm cheering on Poland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I dont think Irish people are begrudging towards the English football team.
    The English media ,FA and the players bring alot of it on themselves.
    They are narrow minded,bigoted and outrageously arrogant.

what a bizarre decleration to make.
    This is the same team that refused to enter a World Cup until 1950 believing itself to be the best.
    England's World Cup debut came in 1950; however, they suffered an infamous 1-0 loss to the United States and failed to get beyond the first group stage.

In 1953 England's tactical inferiority was highlighted on November 25, 1953, when Hungary came to visit Wembley Stadium.
    Before the match English players were lauging at the Hungarians and their strange foot attire.
    One English player said "Look at that little fat chap (Puskas). We'll murder this lot."
    Hungary, one of the best sides in the world and fielding legendary players such as Sándor Kocsis and Ferenc Puskás, outclassed the English 6-3 - this was England's first ever home loss to Continental opposition. In the return match in Budapest, Hungary won 7-1, which still stands as England's worst ever defeat..

ah, the old 'we should consider what happened 50 years ago and apply it to today' argument eh?
    of course, by that logic, perhpas we should also apply the time that england beat the 'unbeatable germans' in 66, when france beat the 'unbeatable' brazilians in 98, when ireland beat the italians in '90, when northern ireland beat the england team in the qualifiers etc etc etc yadda yadda yadda....
    The English cricket team beat Australia last year for the first time in 18 years and they were given MBE's by the Queen.
    They lost 17 years in a row,they should be ashamed of how poor their previous performances were.
    You would think that England had won the cricket world cup by the nations response..

actually, the ashes is played ever 2 years. lets not get over zealous now.

indeed. by everyone....
    If he is English he must be the best because eh 'He is english' and he eats British beef..

well, since no one else would eat it, i see no reaosn why they wouldnt eat their own beef.
    but the scots and welsh also ate english beef as well, so i wouldnt worry bout it too much.
    The average Englishman is one of the nicest people you will meet but I will not be cheering for England due to the above reasons.

people are people are people....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

WWM there is only 1d in yada.

C'mon England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

when ireland beat the italians in '90,

we beat them in 94, we lost to them in 90 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

People don't like the English football team, beacuse England is the country that oppressed our country for 800 years, so so people are told.

The whole, oh the English media is annoying, isn't the reason, it's just a justification.

Personally, I support players like Beckham, Ferdinand, Neville, Rooney week in week out, and I won't stop supporting them in the world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

aye I agree, theres nothing as annoying as people who bring up matches from 50 odd ago and trying to find meaning in todays world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

PHB wrote:
    Personally, I support players like Beckham, Ferdinand, Neville, Rooney week in week out, and I won't stop supporting them in the world cup.
    Personally I hate Neville, Ferdinand, Rooney week in week out, and I won't stop hating them now :D

Albeit, when Carra and Crouchie are on the field, I'll be hoping they perform well. I would love to see Carra parade the trophy around at the end of the tournament, however this is far outweighed by the thought of Neville, Lampard, Rio, Cole x2 running around with the world cup in their hands, which would simply turn my stomach!!

PS anyone with an ounce of common sense would have known that English NT, meant English national team. Though I strongly agree that txt speak should be frowned upon, but there's a big difference between an abbreviation and txt speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PHB wrote:
    People don't like the English football team, beacuse England is the country that oppressed our country for 800 years, so so people are told.
    And the English don't like Germany doing well for reasons outside of football. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Netherlands FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

aye I agree, theres nothing as annoying as people who bring up matches from 50 odd ago and trying to find meaning in todays world.
    What bugs me a bout 66 is the thought that a few of their games, there may have been less than fair refereeing decisions, and all we get is the usuall waffle about getting one over the "krauts" and such. And when there is someone to blame for their failures their media makes sure that person is crucified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

we beat them in 94, we lost to them in 90 :)

Scillachi , I can still see it now.:(

I shall be supporting England in the World Cup and will be delighted if they win it. Sure we'll have to listen to them boast about it for another fifty years but would we be any different if we won it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement