Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attitudes to England national team

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

The Muppet wrote:
    Scillachi , I can still see it now.:(

I shall be supporting England in the World Cup and will be delighted if they win it. Sure we'll have to listen to them boast about it for another fifty years but would we be any different if we won it?

god I hope not, any nation that didn't go over the top if they win the world cup, shouldn't win it in my opinion :)

its the world cup!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The Muppet wrote:
    I shall be supporting England in the World Cup and will be delighted if they win it. Sure we'll have to listen to them boast about it for another fifty years but would we be any different if we won it?
    yeah, they wouldn't have to listen to us.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Big Nelly wrote:
    People who use stupid txt talk should be banned off boards, if they cant type a few letters then they should be held in distane

If you are going to abuse people for their use of language on boards then you should at the very least, just for that post, ensure that you do not cock up on the spelling. As far as I am aware use of an acronym is not limited to txt spk or any of that, I do not look down on anybody who uses text speak anyway, just as I do not look down on people who spell disdain with a t.

As for the topic, I hope England do well, they have a good team and at the very least they should challenge for something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Big Nelly wrote:
    People who use stupid txt talk should be banned off boards, if they cant type a few letters then they should be held in distane

LMAO.

Is that the Distane prison camp for young offenders ? :rolleyes:

or did you mean to type the word "disdain" and get it wrong ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Try to figure it out...

NY = typo (meant to be NT)

NT = National Team

Thanks MM. You got it spot on.

Big Nelly,

It's not text talk. It's a common acronym on football mb's.

Oops, I wrote 'mb'. Sorry! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

There is something about seeing England lose that is very satisfying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I dont understand people supporting england due to the fact the team they support has english players on it.

Thats one of the reason i dont want england to do well. The final is july 14th, if england get that far that will mean gerrard,carragher and crouch will have had just under a year of non stop football. They will only get a week break or so before they will be back in for pre-season training.

The sooner england and spain go out of the world cup the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't support them in the world cup because I want them to preform which will help out my team, I want to do well cause I support them as players, which includes their national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

we beat them in 94, we lost to them in 90 :)

but of course, you know what i meant.

anyway, i was sitting behind *that* goal in genoa.

and then i saw it every day for 10 years on that stupid building society ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

wrote:
    C'mon England! God help us if they win though. :D

I think this is the most concise summary of how we, the Irish, all feel. Nothing against the English people. Nothing against the English players. But Jesus, the media .............:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

jolly wrote:
    I think this is the most concise summary of how we, the Irish, all feel. Nothing against the English people. Nothing against the English players. But Jesus, the media .............:eek:
    Yeah, sure they are nothing on say, Ryle Nugent having multi-orgasms at the end of the Heineken Cup whenever Munster had a scare, and almost breaking down into tears when they actually lifted the trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I wear my England shirts all the time in and around Dublin and you get a few stares but i find that quite funny...hanging your flag outside your window wouldn't be the best idea!!!

and to be honest...i've said this before..Irish commentary is just as bad and as biased as the English commentary!

Cmon England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Living in England means it's practically impossible to avoid the arrogant and jingoistic media.

However in Ireland we have no excuse. A frequent reason given by Irish people for not supporting England is 'we'll never hear the end of it'. That's not a valid reason as we can easily avoid the English media. Perversely it's usually the same moronic sheep that buy the Sun and Mirror over here that complain about the English press. Why buy them if that's the case? Why not buy an Irish newspaper? Tossers.

In reality local rivalry and historical/political reasons are the only justification for not supporting England.

Needless to say anyone who supports an English club and cheers against the same players lining out for England is a hypocrite.

Will I support them?
    I'm a Manchester City fan so if David James (greatest goalkeeper in the world) lines out I'll shout for them. Otherwise I'll be indifferent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    Will I support them?
    I'm a Manchester City fan so if David James (greatest goalkeeper in the world) lines out I'll shout for them. Otherwise I'll be indifferent.

he's not even the best goalkeeper in manchester :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

nlgbbbblth wrote:

Needless to say anyone who supports an English club and cheers against the same players lining out for England is a hypocrite.

And why is that excately?:confused:

• Advertisement

adox wrote:
    And why is that excately?:confused:

I'm specifically referring to Irish fans of English clubs here.
    Not French Arsenal fans or whatever.

Surely you can see the contradiction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

you can support an english football league team and be anti the england football team without being a hypocrite. do we slate the scots welsh aussies french and germans for supporting englands opponents?? international football is about historical rivalries and patriotism and competing against rest of world and why would anyone who's non english want to cheer on england as if it was his own country? yeah some people are anglophiles due to our cultural connections but those people are'nt english men and wont have the same feelings about englands national team as a die hard english fan

god is it politically incorrect to be patriotic and to revel in historical rivalries?? grow up PC brigade,its not bad to be anti the england football team in the same way we're anti every nation that we're playing in landsdowne and its just we dislike the english national team and the circus that surrounds them more than we dislike others,i love english people and hate facist shinners etc.
    those who say its hypoctical to supprt liverpool and cheer englands defeats are talking crap,why is it that liverpool fans are allowed to hate gary neville but will cheer him if he scores for england???? grow up and accept the passion of football rivalry

you can support an english football league team and be anti the england football team without being a hypocrite. do we slate the scots welsh aussies french and germans for supporting englands opponents??

Scots, Welsh, French and Germans generally support their own domestic leagues. Lots of Irish people chose to support English teams.

I see nothing wrong with supporting Liverpool and cheering England's defeats providing there are no Liverpool players on the England team.

Surely people can see the contradiction in those Irish people who worship

- John Terry
    - Joe Cole
    - Frank Lampard
    - The Sun newspaper (i.e. buying it)
    - Chelsea FC

every week of the season

and then when the World Cup / European Championship comes on the same people

- Hurl abuse at those 'English c*nts', Terry, Cole and Lampard
    - Bitch about the arrogant English tabloids hyping up the chances of the England team

??

If you cannot see the point I am trying to make then so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

grow up PC brigade,its not bad to be anti the england football team

Its not the PC brigade, its the common sense brigade. Rivalry doesn't come close to the enmity displayed by some in this country towards England. Why are we hostile to their fortunes anyway? When was the last time England dealt us a blow on the football field? Its not like a club rivalry, where the teams meet each other a couple of times a year, and are direct competition.

Its time Irish people grew up and threw off the inferiority complex about the English (and stopped dressing it up as anti-English media or whatever other bolloxology they come up with to justify it)

I would liek to see England do well at the WC this year if only to see players like Lampard, Gerrard, Owen, and hopefully Aaron Lennon shine on the international stage.

Howdy Reckless One.

We could say pr*cks on thumped.:D

Its not the PC brigade, its the common sense brigade. Rivalry doesn't come close to the enmity displayed by some in this country towards England. Why are we hostile to their fortunes anyway? When was the last time England dealt us a blow on the football field? Its not like a club rivalry, where the teams meet each other a couple of times a year, and are direct competition.
    The world cup has shown me that the English are just the same with the Germans. Most Scots are like us too when it comes to hoping England fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

Right or wrong, I just wouldn't wear it or fly the flag in Derry anyway.

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    Howdy Reckless One.

We could say pr*cks on thumped.:D

Aye up chap!

We could say a lot worse on thumped...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

Its time Irish people grew up and threw off the inferiority complex about the English (and stopped dressing it up as anti-English media or whatever other bolloxology they come up with to justify it)

I would liek to see England do well at the WC this year if only to see players like Lampard, Gerrard, Owen, and hopefully Aaron Lennon shine on the international stage.

Well I don't remember fans from any other country doing what the English supporters did in Landsdowne in '95.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i completely fail to see what this has to do with anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

My attitude towards the England team is that they're a great team at present with a very good chance of winning the WC. I hope they do well and if they win it, fair play.

My attitude was the same when their rugby team won the world cup too, they deserved to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Triton wrote:
    Well I don't remember fans from any other country doing what the English supporters did in Landsdowne in '95.

The Guys that caused the trouble in 95 were Hooligans that used football as a cover/excuse for their activities, they were certainly not football fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    Surely people can see the contradiction in those Irish people who worship

- John Terry
    - Joe Cole
    - Frank Lampard
    - The Sun newspaper (i.e. buying it)
    - Chelsea FC

every week of the season

and then when the World Cup / European Championship comes on the same people

- Hurl abuse at those 'English c*nts', Terry, Cole and Lampard
    - Bitch about the arrogant English tabloids hyping up the chances of the England team

??

If you cannot see the point I am trying to make then so be it.

this puts me in a quandry, as an irish chelsea fan I hadn't planned on supporting england in the wc, (I like to see players from my team do well but I don't see the prem as an extension of the England team) , now i'll have to support Germany, France, England, Ivory Coast, Holland, Argentina, Ghana, Portugal and Ukraine !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

FRom what I remember it wasn't one or two, it was a hell of a lot of their fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

Sorry to state the glaringly obvious here, but you may have noticed that, bizarrely, most Irish fans wear English kit all the time -- those of ManU, Liverpool and, even more astonishingly, Chelsea! :p

Seriously, though, and before I'm lynched, I usually start off supporting England, right up to the point where they start singing Rule Brittania.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Hey, what about Inter Milan Triton? Stop being silly.

Ultimately, I remember at the shootout between England and Portugal in the Euro's, I was in a bar, and I was the only one cheering for England. Next to me was a guy, wearing a Arsenal jearsey, shouting at Cole, hoping he'd miss. I laughed.
    this puts me in a quandry, as an irish chelsea fan I hadn't planned on supporting england in the wc, (I like to see players from my team do well but I don't see the prem as an extension of the England team) , now i'll have to support Germany, France, England, Ivory Coast, Holland, Argentina, Ghana, Portugal and Ukraine !!

I think like that actually,
    I'll be cheering for Ronaldo, Heinze, Saha, Slyvestre, Vidic, Van Nist, VDS, Beckham, Neville, Rio, Park, Howard.
    So I guess I'll be supporting all those teams, obviously I'll follow my favorites more, so more support will go to Portugal, Argentina, Holland, England(due to Beckham mostly, I love the guy, but Neville to).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The only time I ever recall a guy in and England shirt sitting on his own in my local was during a Euro 2000 game between England and Romania. IIRC England lost so me and another fella started loudly humming the theme tune to "The Great Escape" in his direction at full time for a laugh. He just laughed it of and that was as far as it went.

This time around I don't really care. If England play good football then I hope they go far. If they start doing their act of "go 1-0 and then defend" then I hope they get knocked out quickly. Also if Rooney and Gerrard playing well I'll be in more of a mood to back them as I like those two players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

I won't necessarily support England but their matches will be the games that I will have most interest in... The hype and pressure the English media puts on their team is diriculous so ill watch the matches on RTE..

btw.. this very discussion is on The Last Word on Today FM at the min

if you support england in world cup is it not hypocritical not to support all the league teams of those english players?? obviously not.

just listening to last word on today fm and they have on a professor with an english accent backing up my contentions that being against a nation in international football is not hypocritical if you also happen to follow a team that happen to be located in the nation you're against.are english chelsea fans suppose to support germany because ballack plays for them now?? grow up you fools.

maybe scottish glasgow celtic fans should stop being "hypocritical" and start cheering for rangers as the scottish international players they cheer on play for them???

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    i think people need to realise that club football support and international football support are two very different concepts

Triton wrote:

Do you bear a grudge against the England team because of the actions of a few hundred thugs? IIRC, many of the hoolies left club calling cards behind, from lovely groups such as the ICF and the Chelsea Headhunters. I suppose you hate West Ham and Chelsea as well?

maybe scottish glasgow celtic fans should stop being "hypocritical" and start cheering for rangers as the scottish international players they cheer on play for them???

Celtic and Rangers are in direct competition with each other. Ireland and England have met how many times since 1988? Supporting a team you face at least 4 times a year would be nonsensical, just as opposing a team you have faced 5 times in the last 18 years on the international stage because of our "rivalry" is.
    i think people need to realise that club football support and international football support are two very different concepts

Indeed...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

irish or other non-english people dont support english league teams because they are english or have english players!! so why should people support england because some of the english players play for the club they support?? if the reason for supporting for instance liverpool is purely because they are english then not to support english national team would be hypocritical but otherwise being anti england football team is not hypoctitical if you support a team that happen to play in england.

Celtic and Rangers are in direct competition with each other. Ireland and England have met how many times since 1988? Supporting a team you face at least 4 times a year would be nonsensical, just as opposing a team you have faced 5 times in the last 18 years on the international stage because of our "rivalry" is.

Indeed...:rolleyes:

but are celtic and rangers fans not being "hypocritical" by not supporting their fellow scotsmen on opposing teams? you argument is spurious nonsense.international rivalries are decades or centuries long and the vast majority have no problems with these rivalries which add spice in international competition ,why would we bother playing internationa matches if theres to be no rivalries?

irish or other non-english people dont support english league teams because they are english or have english players!! so why should people support england because some of the english players play for the club they support??

I'm not suggesting people should actively support England, but then I wasn't aware we were playing "if you're not with us you're agin us" in the thread. PHB has a lovely example of the type of arsehole I detest. Wearing an Arsenal jersey, shouting at a player he no doubt cheers on ever week, hoping he'd make a tit of himself in an international. I recall an Everton fan I know telling me "I hate the f*cking English". He somehow missed the blatant hypocrisy of him wearing an Everton jersey at the time...:rolleyes:

but are celtic and rangers fans not being "hypocritical" by not supporting their fellow scotsmen on opposing teams? you argument is spurious nonsense.international rivalries are decades or centuries long and the vast majority have no problems with these rivalries which add spice in international competition ,why would we bother playing internationa matches if theres to be no rivalries?

I believe the only person spouting spurious nonsense here is yourself.

Rivalries usually involve teams facing each other in competition. When was our last competitive match against England again? 15 years ago? Compare that the England/Germany rivalry, or England/Argentina. We don't have a traditional soccer rivalry with the English, we have a whole heap of people who talk b*llox about getting one over on the auld enemy. Personally, I'm comfortable with my nation's place in the world and don't need to keep reinforcing my self belief by projecting onto an "other". Don't know about you...

Tell you what, why not organise a mickey measuring contest, and get it over with once and for all.

being anti england football team is not hypoctitical if you support a team that happen to play in england.

Ron
    The way you say 'happen to play in England' implies that the team's location and the nationality of their primary core support is irrelevant.

Liverpool/etc are an English club with predominately English supporters who play in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

It's ironic they way in which the majority of anti-England Irish people readily support English clubs! Surely supoorting their local team eg Galway Utd would be more effective in their xenophobic endeavours?!?!

• Advertisement

I'm not suggesting people should actively support England, but then I wasn't aware we were playing "if you're not with us you're agin us" in the thread. PHB has a lovely example of the type of arsehole I detest. Wearing an Arsenal jersey, shouting at a player he no doubt cheers on ever week, hoping he'd make a tit of himself in an international. I recall an Everton fan I know telling me "I hate the f*cking English". He somehow missed the blatant hypocrisy of him wearing an Everton jersey at the time...:rolleyes:
    There's quite a few English people that support their club team and couldn't care about their national team. I know there's plenty of Eircom league fans that don't care about the Irish team. English people support England because they are representing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

It's ironic they way in which the majority of anti-England Irish people readily support English clubs! Surely supoorting their local team eg Galway Utd would be more effective in their xenophobic endeavours?!?!
    Isn't GAA more suited to that purpose?
    I'd like to think that there are better reasons for supporting an Irish football team than that they are not English.

eirebhoy wrote:
    There's quite a few English people that support their club team and couldn't care about their national team.

There's a difference between not caring and actively wanting them to lose. I'd find it hard to understand a person actively wanting their own national team to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Yeah you're right, that never occurred to me! Seeing as "soccer" is a "foreig sport"....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Maybe it's all a sort of "self-hate" like the guy in the closet that makes a particular point to go round saying he hates gay people?

I wonder is the level dislike of the England national team in this country greater among people who support English club sides than it is for EL club supporters?

• Advertisement
Advertisement