Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone reccomend a good shooter game for PC

Options
  • 06-06-2006 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

Hope this is the right forum for this question if not feel free to move it mods.

My nephews have asked me to help then decide on a new game they want to buy their dad for fathers day. Im not too well up on this sort of thing so i would appreciate all advice given.

First of all it will have to be a PC game. A good shooting type/war game would suit. I know he loves those Call of Duty games but does not go for online playing. Can anyone recommend something along the lines of Call of duty.

Thanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

call of duty 2?

any idea what spec the pc is?
    and what games he already has?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Half Life 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Yeah, Call of Duty 2. Or maybe Brothers-in-Arms or one of the Medal of Honor games.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

AFAIK he has 3 Call of Duty of duty games.
    Medal of honour and brothers in arms sound good. I hope I dont sound fussy here but the young lads tell me he just likes the straight forward 1st person shooter type games but hates the games where you have to control other soldiers in the games.
    I think the brothers in arms might be that type

Tusky wrote:
    Half Life 2!
    Is half life 2 a futuristic type game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭vex

I know its a war game , but i would highly urge you to get F.E.A.R , it is an awsome game and Very good Story game play ect

muffler wrote:
    Is half life 2 a futuristic type game

Kind of yeah... Present day locations with some futuristic stuff. Doesnt really feel that futuristic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

FEAR is good but you need a very high spec machine for it, unless you know what his PC is like I'd stay away from it.

Half Life 2 is futuristic but not in the classical sense. Its an amazing game and well worth playing and scales well to any PC setup.

Its been a while since I played Brothers in Arms but IIRC you spend a good amount of time commanding a squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i'd add a vote for half life 2. it's set in the future but the locations are all east-european run down kind of area's, mixed with fancy oppressive technology... think blade runnerish ;)

Thanks lads, its looking like half life 2 is in the lead here.

Not too sure about his PC spec and if it would be good enough to run FEAR. One of his young lads is a teenager anyway so he should know a bit about the PC details. Anyone any idea as to what the min spec would be for FEAR or if I logged onto Play.com or CD-WOW would they give details

Medal of honour I think was a best seller at one time. I know one of my boys bought it but I think he sold it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

FarCry either.. It's based in present day, involves terrorists and a tropical island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Also, every third enemy has a smiley face tshirt. You cannot resist, non?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Half Life 2 or Battlefield 2 (my two favourites atm) thinking of buying Quake 4 as well looks really good

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

Half-Life 2

Jakkass wrote:
    Half Life 2 or Battlefield 2 (my two favourites atm) thinking of buying Quake 4 as well looks really good
    Is Battlefield 2 an online play type game?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yes, Battlefield 2 is an online FPS. I wouldn't recommend Quake IV either.
    A) if his system isn't new it probably won't run it that well and - B) (main reason) it's pants

FEAR is good but he'd need a good system for that. I'd say stick with HL2. Sounds like he wouldn't like most of the Tom Clancy games, they're the types where you get a squad you have to order about aswell (like the Ghost Recon games or Rainbox Six, so avoid those).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I'd go with Half Life 2 purely for the fact you get Counter Strike Source for online gaming. But for story and of the War epics are the way to go, I thought Half life 2 was quite monotonous in places and very repetitive, whereas I loved CoD2, I think its because this stuff actually happened and you feel like you are experiencing history as it happens. Plus you work in a team in CoD2 but you don't control any of them, you just back them up going into battle. If you ever watched the series band of brothers and loved it CoD2 is the way to go.

My vote goes to Call of Duty 2

Heres a brief spec of the PC - Pentium 4, 1024mb RAM, Windows XP, 128mb Radeon (X300??)video card, about 20Gb free space on hard drive.

Would that be enough to run FEAR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

you can get get 2in 1 pack, call of duty 1,plus cod united offensive pack ,2games in smyths software zone 35e approx .Or medal of honor pacific assault,or cod united offensive cod expansion by itself ,or call of duty 2.Battlefield 2 is really just for online mutiplayer.it should play fear ok,tell him to knock off antialiasing aa and vsync in fear game/graphics settings advanced ,fear sequel expansion being made at present.Far cry and halflife 2 both are excellent games.I like soldier of fortune 2 as well .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

RotalicaV wrote:
    FarCry either.. It's based in present day, involves terrorists and a tropical island.

Don't forget the horrendous Trigens (alien mutant things), ugh!

Anyway, check out Half-Life 2, definitly CoD2 if he does not have it.As a new suggestion I always found the Max Payne games to be pretty entertaining, Max Payne 2 being the latest. Could maybe pick up a budget copy of Operation Flashpoint too, although it is probably past it's sell-by date.

• Advertisement

muffler wrote:
    Heres a brief spec of the PC - Pentium 4, 1024mb RAM, Windows XP, 128mb Radeon (X300??)video card, about 20Gb free space on hard drive.

Would that be enough to run FEAR

FEAR would struggle with those specs... Stick with Half Life 2.

if you could download fear demo to cdr you could try it out ,to see how it runs,half life 2 ,or farcry is a safer option for that pc.

Thanks guys for all the help and advice. It would appear that half life 2 appears to be the most popular choice so I will relay this on to my nephews.

I might take gamers advice and download a demo of FEAR and throw it into my brother in law and see what he thinks about it and if his PC is capable of playing it.

Any site reccomended for downloading the demo.

gamershell.com has the fear demo, 646meg size, you could copy it to 1gig usb drive,you,d need a fast broadband line to get that,and use a download manager prog ,to download it at different times,would take at least 4 hours on 1meg line i think.red mercury/shadow ops is a good single player military modern day fps,would run fast on that pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

RotalicaV wrote:

Seconded(or maybe thirded/fourthed, didn't fead past the words far cry:D )
    Deffinately this is an amazing game and looks brilliant.

Thanks again guys for all the suggestions. I showed my 2 nephews all the replies and they agreed to get him half life 2 which seemed to be the choice of the majority.
    I dont play many games myself but I did have a go at Far Cry and really enjoyed it.
    I also downloaded the FEAR demo as suggested but will have to get it on to a usb key and take it over to my brother in laws pC

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Warning - Don't get Half Life 2 unless he has Broadband Internet. Although you dont need the internet to play Half Life 2 you do need it to install and trying to do this over old fashioned dial up internet takes hours and hours.

Far Cry is a very good shooter but its a few years old and can be bought from the discount game shelves. It is probably more appropriate to give a newer game.

FEAR is top pick of recent shooters but as has been said before it needs a mega PC to play.

If he likes the WW2 scenario then Brothers in Arms the Road to Hill 30 could be an inspired choice. Its a squad based shooter - introducing a bit of tactics to the shooting action.

If its just all out shooting mayhem he likes then Quake 4 is probably the best choice but it has a sci-fi / horror theme which may not be to everybodies taste.

Thanks Mike. I wasn't aware that an internet connection was necessary but thankfully he has broadband alright although he doesn't use it for online playing.
    The young lads ordered the game last night from an online store so hopefully everything will be OK for them.

Slightly off topic here but how safe is it to play online? I have a couple of lads here myself and they do ask an odd time to play online but I refuse as Im always worried about viruses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Gaming online should not expose your PC to additional virus threats as long as your kids are using legitimate software and not illegal warez downloaded from Bit torrent or similar.

There are real safety implications for you to consider however. Gaming online will bring your kids into contact with a variety of people over the internet. Some will be kids, some will be adults and some unfortunately may be very nasty people. Just like any other internet activity it is essential that you know what your kids are up to and that they are well trained not to give out personal information. My own kids are young enough that supervising them isn't a problem but I don't know how you do this with older kids / young teens - clearly they won't want you breathing down their necks. You should also expect that your kids will come into contact with adult language and adult conversation - you need to decide for your self whether or not this is a problem. Google should give you more hints and tips but here is one link http://www.wiredsafety.org/safety/chat_safety/online_gaming_safety/index.html

• Advertisement

Very good link given Mike and thanks for the advice.

Advertisement