Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sikth - "Death of a dead day"

• 06-06-2006 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭

For those of you out there who are sikth fans, Death of a dead day was released in America today ("06.06.06") but wont be released over here till 26.06.06 :( oh well.

I got my hands on the new album, and all i can say is.....dont expect it to live up to "The trees are dead and dried out, wait for something wild", sure it has some amazing songs like "Flogging the horses", "Bland street bloom", "Sangune seas of bigotry" and "Mermaid slur" a sort of follow up to the last track on Trees, the poem, but it still falls short of living up to my expectations. But ive only listened to it twice so im sure it will grow on me. I mean it took 2 years for me to realise how amazing Trees was.

So all in all its a good album but not as amazing as their first, if your a sikth fan you wont be disapointed. If your not a sikth fan.......FOR SHAME!!!!!!!! :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

i was gonna start a thread about this,but i don't have the album yet

i can't wait for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I`ve been really looking forward to this,although after hearing a couple of tracks I was a litle disappointed.They sounded far to structered and mainstream compared to "The trees......".
    The genius of the first album was the song structures,the tempo changes,the mixture of playing style,all which were of the highest order.I`m not a fan of grunt/shout vocals at all,but the music was so good on the Sikth album that I learnt to live with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

adox wrote:
    I`ve been really looking forward to this,although after hearing a couple of tracks I was a litle disappointed.They sounded far to structered and mainstream compared to "The trees......".
    The genius of the first album was the song structures,the tempo changes,the mixture of playing style,all which were of the highest order.I`m not a fan of grunt/shout vocals at all,but the music was so good on the Sikth album that I learnt to live with it.

yes the first album was an absolute musical masterpiece, theres still that trademark sikth sound on this album but not as frantic and unpredictable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

pity it's delayed over here, but what's new... looking forward to it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

chupacabra wrote:
    For those of you out there who are sikth fans, Death of a dead day was released in America today ("06.06.06") but wont be released over here till 26.06.06 :( oh well.

I got my hands on the new album, and all i can say is.....dont expect it to live up to "The trees are dead and dried out, wait for something wild", sure it has some amazing songs like "Flogging the horses", "Bland street bloom", "Sangune seas of bigotry" and "Mermaid slur" a sort of follow up to the last track on Trees, the poem, but it still falls short of living up to my expectations. But ive only listened to it twice so im sure it will grow on me. I mean it took 2 years for me to realise how amazing Trees was.

So all in all its a good album but not as amazing as their first, if your a sikth fan you wont be disapointed. If your not a sikth fan.......FOR SHAME!!!!!!!! :p
    Timmy i need you to give me that album asap or i think ill have to scheduale a trip to america only to realise i didnt bring enough cash.Been listening to sikth all day, well and a bit of slayer as it is slayer day and i must say how havent i listened to them for so long, one of the greatst albums ever imo.

• Advertisement

Patricide wrote:
    Timmy i need you to give me that album asap or i think ill have to scheduale a trip to america only to realise i didnt bring enough cash.Been listening to sikth all day, well and a bit of slayer as it is slayer day and i must say how havent i listened to them for so long, one of the greatst albums ever imo.

Yes I had Reign in blood and seasons on repeat ALL DAY!!!!! Love those albums love slayer, cant wait for Unholly alliance.....people better hope I dont get in the pit, ill in advertantly open some poor kids head.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

chupacabra wrote:
    Yes I had Reign in blood and seasons on repeat ALL DAY!!!!! Love those albums love slayer, cant wait for Unholly alliance.....people better hope I dont get in the pit, ill in advertantly open some poor kids head.:eek:

you may want to consult that "moshing = assault" thread from a while ago :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

I actually think this is a much more mature album than The Trees.. , the song writing is stellar and the sound is far more focused. Plus I love some of the enormously catchy rhythms employed, especially in Flogging The Horses and Summer Rain. Even the emo-ish songs aren't as emo as Peep Show (Where Do We Fall is saved by it's strange key changes). I may grow to love this album more than I loved the first. It gets 10/10 from me anyway!

I actually think this is a much more mature album than The Trees.. , the song writing is stellar and the sound is far more focused. Plus I love some of the enormously catchy rhythms employed, especially in Flogging The Horses and Summer Rain. Even the emo-ish songs aren't as emo as Peep Show (Where Do We Fall is saved by it's strange key changes). I may grow to love this album more than I loved the first. It gets 10/10 from me anyway!

Its obviously going to be more mature, I mean this is the normal pattern with bands these days. The thing with this album is that It was all written in one fell swoop wereas Trees was written over a number of years using old songs with new. Of course its more mature but it will never beat Trees imo.

Advertisement