Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.22 Wmr

Options
  • 06-06-2006 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

i see a lot of talk about .17 , .22lr and 223 .I was up to this thinking about buying a .22 wmr but am now wondering would it have a much longer range than .22lr? mainly bunnies and targets i shoot on. where would i find bullet path to compare? can .22lr ammo still be fired in a .22wmr rifle? what are your thoughts on matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Never mix rounds in rifles

If it takes .22wmr it takes .22wmr NOTHING else.....

Just some advice you could lose more than your pride or your rifle if you mix rounds, i promise you that.

I might be new but i know that is a big NO NO

The other lads will have more experience to answer your other questions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Yeah mixing rounds isnt a good idea some people have made sleeves for them and you can buy step down adapters but i dont think its worth it tbh.

.22wmr is a fantastic gun i have it and will take bunnies out to 100 yards no bother with it with standard ammo i've found v-max 33gr ammo and does a great job on foxes shot 2 the other day at around 100 yards

with standard ammo the .22wmr is good to maybe 120yards with the other ammo its good to 200

a .22lr is a good bunnie gun a wmr gives you a bit more range

it depends on if your just shooting bunnies and what ranges and your skill

for just bunnies under 80 yards id stick to a .22lr at 100yards id get a .17hm2 and anything more a .17hmr or .22wmr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

]

If it takes .22wmr it takes .22wmr NOTHING else.....

Dont panic too much.You can do this with big calibre guns no problem as well.Like using 38special in a 357magnum or 44 special in a 44magnum revolver.
    A 22wmr WILL take a 22lr round and fire it no problem.BUT you must sleeve it,you can buy adapters to do this a six pack from a fellow in Alaska costs[Harry Ownes,I think he is called Google ammo adapters] somthing like 20usd.Or you can do what alot of US shooters do for an expedient sleeve and have done safley for years.Save up your used 22WMR brass,cut off the base with a fine hacksaw, clean off burrs,insert 22lr in sleeve, use as normal 22WMR ammo.You will have to experiment with brands to find one that your chamber will accept.I have used this in my single shot wmr for ages no problem. However if you are using this I would strongly advise eye protection!!!!!If there are any free spaces or a loose fitting gun,you might get a back blast of burnt powder.The 22lr expands and ruptures somtimes,but the 22wmr is plenty strong to handle this.
    Dont expect match grade accruracy from this,but for hunting and plinking it is fine. Would I bother with a 22wmr again?Not really,only because it is mounted on my savage 22wmr/20ga.It is costly enough compared to a box of 22lrs and you are not really getting alot more power or range,which the more modern hyper 22lr rounds are giving without much problem, INMHO.If you need more oomph in a 22,maybe check out the 22 hornet,it is a reloadable calibre as well so you can power it down or up as well into the range of a 22lr or 22 wmr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

of topic but those guns like the sako quad where you can switch barrels haw are they licences are they 4 diff guns,2 diff guns or what

what is a gun under the law ,also if it is a X capible of firing a projectile if i remove the mech what is it then and can anyone carry it????

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

maglite wrote:
    of topic but those guns like the sako quad where you can switch barrels haw are they licences are they 4 diff guns,2 diff guns or what

there licenced per caliber AFAIK. Not sure how the 38/357 people are handling their licences though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

yeah pretty sure its a licence per calibre but id talk to your super he might just write it down on the cert its basically down to him

a .22wmr has twice the range of a 22 lr though

Advertisement