Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's the best place to live as a Post-grad at UCD?

Options
  • 06-06-2006 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm new to the boards. I've been accepted to an MA Lit program at UCD and want to know what you think about post-grad housing. I have been to the accomodation page and know about Blackroack, Proby, and the housing at Belfield campus. Since I believe my school is on Belfield campus, is it much more convenient to live there, or do many post-grads live in Blackrock whether or not they are business students?

Do you like Belfield or Blackrock better in terms of places to live?

I appreciate any advise on this topic. Thanks alot.

As a postgrad, where would you live and why? 12 votes

Glenomena (Belfield)
    0% 0 votes
    Blackrock Residences
    83% 10 votes
    Proby (Blackrock)
    16% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

it is tough to get from Blackrock to Belfield.

you have to rely on the often late 17 bus.

If i were you i would look at places like Ranelagh, which are closer to town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭postgrad

Thanks, is Ranelagh a student accomodation or atleast priced like one...or is there a website I can refer to that lists places where students can room besides the ucd accommodation website?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Accommodation / Property
    this is the boards thread on the subject, not specifically student related but should have all you need.

Thanks humbert, but I don't see anything on the two pages of the thread on UCD housing specifically and that's what I'm interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Ah no, it was with respect to housing in Ranelagh, I haven't lived in the ucd accommodation so can't offer advice on it. I would echo what themole said about Blackrock though, 17 is a pain in the hole, it would be a short enough cycle but I think it would make more sense to go for one of the ucd residences.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Don't get me started on the 17 bus route, jeez

I'm definately leaning towards Belfield rather than Blackrock at the moment.... or something closer to Belfield and not connected by the no. 17.... though I would like to know what the atmosphere's like at Belfield and Blackrock...and the difference between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

They tend to allocate the accomodation in Blackrock to people who are studying courses on the Blackrock campus. Glenomena would be best for you as it is on the main belfield campus and you'll prob find you have more in common with the people in Glenomena than the business students in Blackrock.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

People who wouldn't at least walk from Blackrock to Belfield are just plain lazy.

Well, how far away is Blackrock from Belfield? I didn't know it was walking distance.

Does post-grad housing usually close quickly? Should I be worried about getting housing since applications opened May 1st?

• Advertisement

Nah, you can apply now and you should get it no prob. Not as big demand for post grad accom as there is for undergrad. Apply for Glenomena, Blackrock won't suit you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

postgrad wrote:
    Well, how far away is Blackrock from Belfield? I didn't know it was walking distance.

If you go from the front gate in belfield to blackrock campus its about 3km.

You could add another 2km depending on where in blackrock you are and where in belfield you are going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'd go for Glenomena if I was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

About 40 min brisk walk from Blackrock campus to Belfield campus (Student centre).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

It takes a little over 10 minutes to cycle to Blackrock from the Belfield entrance, and about 15 minutes back. Definitely faster than the 17! But if your course and literature are based in Belfield, you may aswell live there too, but it will make you lazy! Though the pictures of the Blackrock and Proby residences do look more enticing than Glenomena...

Res hall in Blackrock is pretty basic. Proby is just the same as glenomena layout wise, just newer.

Had sneak preview of new Glenmena blocks today. V nice, improvement over current ones. Gas heating instead of storage heating. Should be cheaper to run. Good quality of build work too.

Okay, so today I finally decided to go to UCD over Galway and Cork and Maynooth (I hope I've made the right decision). I'm looking foward to it, but I wish I new a bit more about the area of Belfield since I think I will be applying for Glenomena.

I was in Ireland (including Dublin city centre) in 2003, but was never in the areas surrounding the city centre like Belfield and Blackrock. Would someone elaborate on these places in comparision to Dublin city centre?

Any other information is greatly appreciated. I'm interested to hear about the Post-grad situation at UCD as well as the fun.

Thanks for help deciding on Belfield as opposed from Blackrock. Now that I'm definate I'm coming to UCD I want to know all about it!

anyone?

That's sorta like me asking you to tell me all about the Bronx.

Do a lil research for yourself! You're a postgrad, call it practice! ;)

Alright, I probably deserved that. My questions are broad, I realize. I guess I'm just excited about the move. If I think of anything specific, I'll ask.

• Advertisement

postgrad wrote:
    If I think of anything specific, I'll ask.
    That, we can prob help with. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I might even be there! Wouldn't that be fun? (Ok, don't answer that!)

UCD seems different for Postgrads, but all the Postgrads I know/knew liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

postgrad wrote:
    Alright, I probably deserved that. My questions are broad, I realize. I guess I'm just excited about the move. If I think of anything specific, I'll ask.
    did you say you're doing an english MA? there are a few of us knocking around this board, so if you've any questions about that end of things, fire away

Thanks, yes, I'm doing an English MA. I'm glad to hear there are others on this board who are/have done the same. Is the summer spent only working on the dissertation, or are there classes running then as well?

Also, I noticed there are 9 days of final testing in December after term I. For post-grads, are the testing dates a bit different than undergrads in that the testing tends to be closer to the beginning of these nine days?

What does the testing tend to be like? Essays to turn in, or in-class testing?

Your answers are much appreciated

postgrad wrote:
    Thanks, yes, I'm doing an English MA. I'm glad to hear there are others on this board who are/have done the same. Is the summer spent only working on the dissertation, or are there classes running then as well?

Also, I noticed there are 9 days of final testing in December after term I. For post-grads, are the testing dates a bit different than undergrads in that the testing tends to be closer to the beginning of these nine days?

What does the testing tend to be like? Essays to turn in, or in-class testing?

Your answers are much appreciated
    classes finish around february or march for all the english MAs, I think. we're all working on our theses at this stage. nominally, anyway. most of the MAs don't have exams except the Anglo-Irish Literature one, I think they had three in summer. none at christmas though. apart from those exams (if you're doing Anglo-Irish), assessment is purely through essays and the thesis.

Okay, this is all very interesting. I must still be thinking of semesters and testing in terms of undergraduate education. I am very glad to hear that I probably don't have Christmas testing because I have a plan ticket back home for Christmas on the last day of testing on the acedemeic calendar--the only ticket I could get back on BA.

So, I know that class begins on September 11. And you say that classes might end in February or March? So after the classes end, say in Feb, how long does one have to work on his or her thesis (in other words, when is it due and when is the 1 year programme finished)?

But I wonder, if I have tests during the summer (I am Anglo-Irish lit) it seems I would have class then, or maybe not?

Also, during the time that there are no classes and students are working on their theses, do you find that some international students leave (to save on rent) and then come back?

But I would assume that during this time there is contact with thesis advisers and such...and much research in local libraries, etc. I would like to stay the year, but I'm just curious.

I know this is a long list of questions (and that I should write an e-mail to the department to get the official details) but thanks for any answers you can give.

the anglo-irish people this year finished classes in march, then studied for their may exams, then started their theses which are due in mid-late july and have to be 12-15,000 words. some of the american ones did talk about going home and carrying out the consultation process by email, but i'm not sure if anyone actually did.

when do classes end for my MA programme before Christmas?

postgrad wrote:
    when do classes end for my MA programme before Christmas?
    not sure. probably the same week as undergrad classes, but to be honest i can barely remember as far back as december!

• Advertisement

I'm wondering, do some MA lit students spend their spring and/or summer away from campus because there aren't any classes going, or is it the general trend to do research and meet with professors during this preparation time for the thesis?

Of course, if I have exams in May, I would need to be there for that, but otherwise, maybe I can save on summer rent.

In turning in one's thesis at UCD, does each student defend his/her thesis in an oral discussion, or is it only turned into the faculty in July?

If it's just turned in, I wonder if one needs to be present to do so, or if mailing works. I hope these aren't far-out questions, I'm just trying to get used to the Post-grad way.

Advertisement