Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's the best place to live as a Post-grad at UCD?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

a friend of mine who's from america was considering going back there to do her thesis to save on rent and living costs, but her supervisor was very against it. theoretically it is possible to carry out the supervisory process by email but i don't think it's encouraged.
    is it the general trend to do research and meet with professors during this preparation time for the thesis?
    research generally helps when you're writing a thesis, yes :cool:

i don't think MA theses have to be orally defended, no. PhDs definitely do and i think MLitts might as well but MA students are in the clear as far as the english department goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

It seems to be split between people who dont go into UCD as much, and those that do, but you do have to have a few meeting with the supervisor, though not often, and generally not for very long. Mind, maybe rain on will agree, you find yourself doing some work for a few days, then drifting somewhat, sans classes theres a lot of free time and its all down to you to motivate yourself. :(

scop wrote:
    It seems to be split between people who dont go into UCD as much, and those that do, but you do have to have a few meeting with the supervisor, though not often, and generally not for very long. Mind, maybe rain on will agree, you find yourself doing some work for a few days, then drifting somewhat, sans classes theres a lot of free time and its all down to you to motivate yourself. :(

yeah i did nothing on my thesis for a full month, but my supervisor's after hitting me with some deadlines now, so i'm all motivated again.

eta: i think that's all the english MA boardsies out of the woodwork now :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

rain on wrote:
    yeah i did nothing on my thesis for a full month, but my supervisor's after hitting me with some deadlines now, so i'm all motivated again.

eta: i think that's all the english MA boardsies out of the woodwork now :cool:

Indeed, is it just us two or is there more? Deadlines are good, Im currently over on one, but hell he gave me like a few days to knock up a whole new chapters, but I guess thats his cheeky way of making you do a lot of work :cool:

scop wrote:
    Indeed, is it just us two or is there more? Deadlines are good, Im currently over on one, but hell he gave me like a few days to knock up a whole new chapters, but I guess thats his cheeky way of making you do a lot of work :cool:
    i think it's just us.. but that is 22.22% of the modern class..!

• Advertisement
Advertisement