Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Little trick for you...

• 06-06-2006 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

Courtesy of F-Secure, who took inspiration from Roger Grimes.

Right-click on the Desktop
    Create a new Shortcut
    Point the location of the item to any executable... such as: c:\windows\system32\calc.exe
    Name the shortcut, for example, www.microsoft.com
    Start Internet Explorer (IE5 and IE6 work best, it also works with the IE7 latest)
    Type "www.microsoft.com" into the address bar
    Enjoy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

that easy eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Enjoy.
    Enjoy what??:confused:
    Followed the instructions, typed in www.microsoft.com and went to......microsoft.com:confused:
    What was I supposed to see?
    Might be a Vista thing.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

For those too lazy to try and/or read:
    The trick is that Internet Explorer 6 and 7 beta can be fooled into running Windows desktop shortcuts instead of going to the Internet. For example, right-click your desktop and choose Create a Shortcut. Tell the shortcut to run Notepad.exe, but name the shortcut "www.aol.com." Now type www.aol.com into IE (Internet Explorer) and see what happens. Instead of going to www.aol.com, IE starts Windows notepad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Karoma wrote:
    For those too lazy to try and/or read:

Quote:
    The trick is that Internet Explorer 6 and 7 beta can be fooled into running Windows desktop shortcuts instead of going to the Internet. For example, right-click your desktop and choose Create a Shortcut. Tell the shortcut to run Notepad.exe, but name the shortcut "www.aol.com." Now type www.aol.com into IE (Internet Explorer) and see what happens. Instead of going to www.aol.com, IE starts Windows notepad.
    Is that it?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    It doesn't work with IE7 in Vista.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

that is brilliant, i can set the pcs at work to log off if someone types in www.bebo.com now just put in a shortcut to shutdown -l

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

mukki wrote:
    that is brilliant, i can set the pcs at work to log off if someone types in www.bebo.com now just put in a shortcut to shutdown -l

lol, not bad at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

mukki wrote:
    That's exactly what I was thining, but for college.
    >_>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

mukki wrote:

ROFL

Advertisement