Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Irish Broadband Cover Charlesland Or Not?

Options
  • 06-06-2006 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

I'VE BEEN looking at their coverage maps and they are a bit ambiguous to say the least, they seem to exclude Charlesland but the Charlesland on their map is a bit erroneous, seeming tp extend beyond Kilincarrig, which it doesn't really do. Here is the map for any concerned individuals

http://www.irishbroadband.ie/coverage.php

Does anybody in the Charlesland area have any experience of using the Irish Broadband product in the general area?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 B.Rubble

Yep ... its definitely covered in the Wood.

I've have had the 'Breeze' product for over a year now with little or no probs along the way. The company has a bit of a bad reputation for customer service but I can only judge on my own experience.

Give them a call, but I reckon there'll be no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

loads of IBB squarials on houses in all parts of charlesland so seems to be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Ok lads thanks for the help. Do you have to have an aerial put up? What about this plug-and-play option that they are selling for €18.99? Thanks.

IT Loser wrote:
    Ok lads thanks for the help. Do you have to have an aerial put up? What about this plug-and-play option that they are selling for €18.99? Thanks.

you need an aerial. the plug and play option - "Ripwave" - is not available in Greystones, and also <personal-opinion> it sucks </personal-opinion>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

loyatemu wrote:
    <personal-opinion> it sucks </personal-opinion>

I agree...

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote:
    you need an aerial. the plug and play option - "Ripwave" - is not available in Greystones, and also <personal-opinion> it sucks </personal-opinion>

Sorry, but what sucks?

The absence of Ripwave from Greystones, or Ripwave itself?

An Aerial put up you say...more bloody grief. This aerial goes up and then what? There is a feed into the house via ethernet cable or what?

Thanks again fellas. PS I live in an appartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 B.Rubble

I think they meant that the Ripwave service 'sucks'.

From what I have heard it's a bit of a disaster with dodgy coverage and speeds. If you can somehow get the aerial attached to the apartment then this is probably your best bet... not sure how this could be done though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I think the aerial needs "line of sight" to the transmitter, so unless your balcony faces Bray Head, you're onto a loser there.

Right so lads, thanks for the help. It appears that, in the Queens Finest English, I am now well and truly screwed. I now have to go thru the rigmarole of consulting the absolute wizards that BT Ireland are and ask them can they transfer my existing 3 meg connection to the new premises via the existing Eircom phone line. Anyone here know how that might potentially go down {apart from like a lead baloon}

TA!

I think the aerial needs "line of sight" to the transmitter, so unless your balcony faces Bray Head, you're onto a loser there.

Hence the name, IT LOSER....IT Is all about LOSING

Losing time
    Losing money
    Losing the head.....

• Advertisement

i have BT broadband via the phone line and it works grand - if you get broadband and line rental together from BT it only costs €35 (for 1mb) or €40 (for 2mb). The downside is the installation charge if you don't already have a phone line (€125 I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

Go to www.digiweb.ie They have signs at each end of the town saying they are available in Greystones. I checked out the website and the only option (that is cheaper than Eircom and is available) is the DSL 2Mps for €29.99 (a tenner cheaper than eircom)

You don't have to install an aerial

Hope this helps:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Perlico ftw!!

Amazingly, none of y'all mentioned NTL, and sure don't they have the place wired already.

I kind of have a view of Bray Head, but its a bit dodgy. I can see the Glen, Big Sugarloaf, Little SL, and then all along the way to Windgates {you know that big aerial at the top of the hill there} and then on some more.

Seeing as NTL also do TV...I may be going down that route anyhow.

Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

IT Loser wrote:
    Amazingly, none of y'all mentioned NTL, and sure don't they have the place wired already.

No, not really. The houses are wired, but they in turn are connected to NTL via MMDS, so they don't offer Broadband to us (although I understand that MMDS is capable of delivering broadband).

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

Bad news. I called Irish Broadband a few times over the last couple of months. First 2 times I was told yes no worries that I could get the Breeze service, but the last 2 times I was told it wasnt available in Charlesland. Called just there and was told that its outside the coverage zone. So I asked the guy to check existing customers cos I knew for a fact that there are people in Charlesland with the service (based on the above feedback). Then he went all quiet and was like "oh yes there are loads of accounts in Charlesland". So then he said basically that the sevice was full to capacity and theyre not taking any more orders. He even said there was a records of loads of people having called asking the same thing and all being refused.

Seems a strange way to run a business to firstly give people the service, then stop, even though theres clearly huge demand for loads more customers. Have called so many other SP's too and it seems that nothing else wireless is available in Charlesland. And I refuse to pay money to Eircom to rent their line (although at the moment first time connection is free and its already braodband-enabled.

What a nightmare. :confused:

IT Loser wrote:
    QUOTE]

You obviously havent been on the receiving end of the Joke that is NTL's excuse for customer service, otherwise you wouldnt even be considering giving them another cent of your hard-earned cash.

Avoid them like the plague.

Hey man, thanks for the advice. It turns out that the Landlord this and the Estate Agent that and the Apartment is facing the wrong way anyways so I had no choice but to go NTL for tele.

The latest problem is that although I am getting a telephone line installed, it seems that a lot of the exchanges which used be listed for BB aren't any longer so.

Any info y'all?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Does nobody use Eircom Broadband? I rang them when i first moved in in march and they said it wasnt available so i rang irish broadband who said no prob and they would send someone out.......six weeks later still no call out so rang eircom again and they were up and running in charlesland so i got them to install it and two and a half weeks later i had broadband:)

To clarify - i rang IB about a month ago as they are by far the cheapest and I had also seen all the other arial-things on other houses.

I rang about 4 times and each time got a different answer - yes, no, yes, no. the last time i rang i asked the bloke to check existing customer addresses as I'd SEEN the ariels cos he kept telling me we werent covered. then he said that actually yes there were loads of customers already set up there but that theyre not taking any more for the time being. So basically they DID cover charlesland but at the moment their coverage quota is full and they arent taking any more customers.

If it helps, i went with BT's 1MB service and its super (set the wireless up myself in the house). And i've also heard from a lot of friends that the IB signal can be very ropey and unreliable.

• Advertisement

eleMental wrote:
    To clarify - i rang IB about a month ago as they are by far the cheapest and I had also seen all the other arial-things on other houses.

I rang about 4 times and each time got a different answer - yes, no, yes, no. the last time i rang i asked the bloke to check existing customer addresses as I'd SEEN the ariels cos he kept telling me we werent covered. then he said that actually yes there were loads of customers already set up there but that theyre not taking any more for the time being. So basically they DID cover charlesland but at the moment their coverage quota is full and they arent taking any more customers.

If it helps, i went with BT's 1MB service and its super (set the wireless up myself in the house). And i've also heard from a lot of friends that the IB signal can be very ropey and unreliable.

Alright Mental...yeah, as the crow flies we have to be at least 2 miles from the mast...and thats a lot of airspace for a signal to be covering. No wonder its fleshed out a good bit by the time it gets to C'land.

I have a phone line in my place, Eircom are supposedly getting it set up. No mention yet as to how much it will cost {your experience?} and no mention yet as to whether it will be BB enabled or not.

I mean, these are new dwellings, so surely they avoided the old mistake of crap copper and splitters?

Did your line pass the BB test immediately, how was your experience in getting a line installed/connected?

Ta.

TK

The eircom exchange is broadband enabled should you decide to go with them.

eoin_s wrote:
    The eircom exchange is broadband enabled should you decide to go with them.

Alright Eoin, just to clarify, I understood that whatever exchanges existed, all were owned/controlled by Eircom, no?.....

I'm confussed a little bit when you mention the "Eircom Exhange"....are there others? I understood that Eircom owned the lot.

That said I understand that, one way or the other, what you're saying is that once I get a working line in place, I can avail of Eircom BB? Right?

Thanks,

T

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

IT Loser wrote:
    Alright Eoin, just to clarify, I understood that whatever exchanges existed, all were owned/controlled by Eircom, no?.....

I'm confussed a little bit when you mention the "Eircom Exhange"....are there others? I understood that Eircom owned the lot.

That said I understand that, one way or the other, what you're saying is that once I get a working line in place, I can avail of Eircom BB? Right?

Thanks,

T
    Correct,
    But...
    Might be worth calling NTL and seeing if they have cable broadband in your area - no phone line / IBB equivilant needed. Goes thru the telly connection.

Hi Dave, they {NTL} have no Cable ANYTHING:- the TV is MMDS and there is NO NTL BB available, so I was told as recently as 1 month ago by one of their operators. And, while we are on the topic, NTL offer a service that doesn't even BEGIN to compare to Skys. Even the remote control the give you is a fiddly piece of crap with about the same effective range as yer schlong.:eek:

IT Loser wrote:

I thought Esat had a partial network in place, as opposed to completely piggy-backing on eircom?
    IT Loser wrote:

Thanks,

T

Yeah, that's what I meant.

you can get DSL from Eircom, BT, UTV, Digiweb, Perlico etc but its all running on Eircom lines. If you rent your phoneline from BT, they in turn are renting it from Eircom (BT do have their own network but not in Greystones).

BT's phoneline\broadband deals are good value and the service works well, if you can live with their rubbish customer service.

Hello again.

Im just hoping that Eircom Hurry the $%£k up and install my line pronto, if not sooner.

My own experience with BT in my previous address was that they provided a decent service but their Customer end of things was messed up.

Maybe I'll just go with Eircom, but they better hurry it!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

IT Loser wrote:
    Hi Dave, they {NTL} have no Cable ANYTHING:- the TV is MMDS and there is NO NTL BB available, so I was told as recently as 1 month ago by one of their operators. And, while we are on the topic, NTL offer a service that doesn't even BEGIN to compare to Skys. Even the remote control the give you is a fiddly piece of crap with about the same effective range as yer schlong.:eek:

True, thats why I`m the proud new owner of a sky box! Folks got NTL a while back and its fine...but they have no probs with the telly as its piped... (pays to live in Foxrock:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I had a SKY box with a great lot of kit but I can't get to use the satellite as I am on the wrong side of the shagging building, plus the LL signed some **** about not using satellites.

By the way I was walking up Farrankelly and as I was nearing the top of the road I spied an alien structure in the side of Downs Hill, it might be the "highpoint" that Regional have been threatening to install for so long.

Don't know if I can see it from Greystones thogh.

Advertisement