Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arrrgh! Irish!! Why is it mandatory! I hate our education system!!

• 06-06-2006 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

Oh god of all gods, why is Irish MANDATORY? I understand the whole "we need to keep culture in Ireland" and part of our culture is our language... but honest to Jesus if someone doesn't want to learn it, why make them?

This is my worst subject by far... Mandatory, alright, you have to do it, but why the hell should you fail THE WHOLE GOD DAMNED LEAVING CERT IF YOU FAIL THIS ONE SUBJECT!?

It's complete bullcrap. You force me to try and learn a language I don't want to, then tell me that if I fail it I've ****ed up my life. fuall@boardofeducation

the minister of education is going to get a kick up the arse from me once I finish my leaving cert

Does anyone have any last minute tips on the Irish exam? I'm only doing pass, but I doubt I'm going to pass the shaggin' thing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

AFAIK you dont "fail" the whole leaving cert man :rolleyes: Look, your course needs a c in pass maths, 260 points, and a pass in english or irish, so I cant see why your so pissed off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

mang87 wrote:
    Oh god of all gods, why is Irish MANDATORY? I understand the whole "we need to keep culture in Ireland" and part of our culture is our language... but honest to Jesus if someone doesn't want to learn it, why make them?

This is my worst subject by far... Mandatory, alright, you have to do it, but why the hell should you fail THE WHOLE GOD DAMNED LEAVING CERT IF YOU FAIL THIS ONE SUBJECT!?

It's complete bullcrap. You force me to try and learn a language I don't want to, then tell me that if I fail it I've ****ed up my life. fuall@boardofeducation

the minister of education is going to get a kick up the arse from me once I finish my leaving cert

Does anyone have any last minute tips on the Irish exam? I'm only doing pass, but I doubt I'm going to pass the shaggin' thing...

if you know how a word sounds... try and guess it... they ususaly take it.. and if your really stuck throw an odd english word in . i looked at my mock paper and i got a B and i didnt write much and they gave me great marks! like attempt everything and they will fling marks at you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

AFAIK you dont "fail" the whole leaving cert man :rolleyes: Look, your course needs a c in pass maths, 260 points, and a pass in english or irish, so I cant see why your so pissed off?

Err last time I checked you do fail the whole leaving cert... Same with English and maths like...

If I fail the laving cert the college is hardly going to accept me lioek!

wait a sec... are you sure about that? english OR irish? If this is true you have just made me a very very happy man my friend!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

you don't fail the leaving if you fail irish, there was a debate on the late late show one night and yes, i watched it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

You DONT FAIL the leaving cert if you fail Irish.
    I technically am doing irish but by DOING it implies that i meraly sit at the back of class and do something else.
    I dont need it so i couldent be arsed to learn it.
    Jesus how would it be useful in a computing course?.
    UCD for example require a pass in irish and another langauge excluding english.
    This SICKENS me to the core.:mad:
    However you do need it to get into the NUI universities as i could imagine they would think you are culturally "unfit" for not having passed irish but it doesent matter as you could probably get an exemption.
    People dont LEARN irish, they simply record information and reproduce the crap on an exam paper(the process required for a true function or application of learning is missing:cool: ). I have been doing irish since primary school and because of our inefficent Education system can attest that i cant even tell you in irish that
    "I Walked to the coast" or whatever means because it is just absolute filth with no relavance to modern society.

Sorry about going mad for a bit there:)
    (and a bit off point)
    but i just hate the damm subject and finally you dont need it to pass likewise you dont fail the leaving even if you dont pass maths:eek: it boils down to specific requirments for individual courses and unless you are going for teaching or irish litrature dont worry about it at all(unless you are a prospective NUI student, but even still try for an exemption from the NUI.
    only four institutions in the country that are NUI at least:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

jus remember y it is mandatory!!!our language was stripped from us by them british bastards all them years ago!!!u shud be glad its mandatory or are ya's all west-brits???its ridiculous listening to ppl talk about the irish language like this!!al thats worng with it is it's taught wrong at the moment!!we need to elarn more oral work not stories an petry that have no relevance to us!!remember people we are IRISH not ENGLISH!!!!or have you all forgotten??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

For your sake I hope Irish is better than your English flynnser19.

Basically the reason you need to do Irish is a pass is required by nearly every college except Trinity.

It ONLY applies to NUI universities or courses with a specific requirment.
    example:
    secondary school irish teaching. Most courses state a requirment of english OR irish.
    (Sangre you needed irish because you attend a NUI University)

Note to "flynnser19": I am not saying irish is NOT important to our cultural identities, i am simply saying that it is WRONG to force someone into studying a subject of little use like irish. If you want to learn about Irish heritige and identity read irish hsitory books.
    History gives you a better insight into who we are as people,more so than learning irish by rote learning and barely even understanding what it means. I know ONE person who actually likes Irish and he tells me the main objective of almost everyone in his class is to put in as little effort as possible to pass irish(this is a honours class by the way-no joke)
    And yes the british are "bastards" for stripping us of our langauge but it can be argued that the education system in this country is responsible for further DESTROYING anyones ability/interest/aptitude for this langauge.

By the way GOOD LUCK EVERYONE.
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I know its the NUIs. The fact of the matter is *most* people will be applying to one of the NUIs throughout the countries.

• Advertisement

I agree with your statement but i cannot help but feel why for example a few people i know just choose their course based on points i.e i know a guy who chose a high flying course in NUIG just because he got the points.
    I KNEW for a fact he would have prefared to do a course based on what he enjoyed and he basically chose a course he had no interest/idea of the course and later dropped out and chose a course which he does like and will get a degree from.
    Look at Computer Science for example in UCD. It requires French and irish to be passed for consideration. I cannot understand why a computing course requires two natural langauges as from my understanding Logic and reasoning is more important than forcing someone to learn French in Computing(or at least i hope:) )
    In Conclusion you are correct about universities being the most sought out for places due to their prestigious stance(checked education statistics on the department of education website) but i dont understand how people look down on institutes of technology because of their position. Look at MIT for example.
    At the end of the day a degree from a IT or university is still awarded by the same awarding body HETAC so i cant see an employer basing your suitability on where you attended Third-level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

If you fail maths and an OD3 in maths isn't required for your course and you still get the points, do you get the course?
    I'm a bit confused and worried since I'm likely not to pass, and everyone always says if you don't pass maths, English and Irish then you fail the leaving.
    I think my course says just 2x HC3s and 2x OD3s (including English and a lang) are required, so what happens if I fail maths (my 7th subject I'm not counting for points)?

Also, how long must you wait for the first offer after the exam results?

Oh yeah:D if the COURSE doesent say you need maths you WILL get into the course.
    I know a friend of mine who,s friend got into an arts course without
    passing maths as he failed it. But it does count if the course asks for it otherwise your points accumalation is perfectly fine.
    Just make sure you didnt put down theoretical physics as your first choice;) .LOL
    You will get your course;)
    Dont believe what you hear. In my parents time you had to pass all three core subjects but now you dont have to pass maths to succesfully complete the leaving. That requirment WAS removed a few years back, henceforth because the rule applies i dont give a ****
    if i fail pass irish. If maths isnt your thing they wont void your leaving cert and course choice because of it.
    I am certain of this by the way ,100% accurate so dont worry:;
    I am not sure of your second question however:(
    Good luck by the way:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Linku

Damn, the sites been updated and you do need maths (it was a new course and the full requirements weren't up)

I knew I'd be switching around my CAO lots in the coming weeks anyway. After the maths exam I'll probably know I need a new first choice :(

Dont worry. It is possible to gain entry to a course that doesent need maths and then through internal transfer you can choose a course you like(cept medicine). It can be done;)
    If all else fails accept an offer from a PLC and using the ladder system entitle yourself to join the course you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

im a much happier person now going into my exams. **** Irish! :D

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭EyeDeeOne

my mate failed irish i think and he is still alive!!

im happy doing irish..
    i hate the whole school thing but its cool knowing our own language

we will be able to talk to eachother while we take over the world

I am in no way agaisnt the irish langauge, simply i hate the way it is compulsary for everyone bar the very few with learning difficulties/other issues.
    I wouldent mind being able to speak irish but i think the education system has failed in providing the irsh langauge. People dont look beyond "oh i all need is a pass is this ****e" and as a result dont give a toss. Like myself;)
    Why can i write? why can i count/do maths/algerbra ect?
    Because it is taught. Irish for the past five years has resulted in not having a ****ing clue what was going on in most instances.
    I dont think i ever grasped irish and i am certain i am not the only one. Learning off essays for irish for the LC IS NOT IRISH. It is simply reproducing information on a page, heck for most people they might as well replace the wording with strings of encrypted cyphers to decode as it would have the same effect.:)

Naikon wrote:
    I am in no way agaisnt the irish langauge, simply i hate the way it is compulsary for everyone bar the very few with learning difficulties/other issues.
    I wouldent mind being able to speak irish but i think the education system has failed in providing the irsh langauge. People dont look beyond "oh i all need is a pass is this ****e" and as a result dont give a toss. Like myself;)
    Why can i write? why can i count/do maths/algerbra ect?
    Because it is taught. Irish for the past five years has resulted in not having a ****ing clue what was going on in most instances.
    I dont think i ever grasped irish and i am certain i am not the only one. Learning off essays for irish for the LC IS NOT IRISH. It is simply reproducing information on a page, heck for most people they might as well replace the wording with strings of encrypted cyphers to decode as it would have the same effect.:)

***Note***- DCU doesent require irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

Even during Soviet times, the languages named after those ex-republics with smaller landmasses than Russia were around. At least some of those languages, among them Ukrainian and the languages named after the Central Asian "-stans", have been successfully revived. If those ex-Soviet republics (with most or all of them with GDPs/capita less than Ireland's) can spend money to revive their locally-named languages, why can't Ireland take some cues? After all, Ireland has been independent longer than any of the ex-Soviet republics have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

Learning a language should mean having opportunities to use it in conversation. I believe Irish-language learning can be made fun. It's simply been the lack of political will, of successive governments over there, to make learning the Gaelic language fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

davwain wrote: »
    Learning a language should mean having opportunities to use it in conversation. I believe Irish-language learning can be made fun. It's simply been the lack of political will, of successive governments over there, to make learning the Gaelic language fun.

Well replying to a 9 year old thread about the revival of the Irish language sure won't help it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement