Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opteron 146 Overclock

Options
  • 06-06-2006 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭

I finally got around to overclocking my Opteron 146 this evening and got it up to 2.870Ghz i have yet to test it for stability but it seems pretty good (been running encoding a few dvds for a few hours) im also running standard pc3200 Kingston value ram if i put good ram in there would i expect much more from it?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Nice!

You're obviusly running the ram on a divider:D

So performance ram wont help you get a bigger CPU oc, but it will improve performance....

What HSF are you using? What are load temps like?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

yea im running a Divider its the only way otherwise id only be getting about 2.5 with it im using a Zalman Copper Heatsin and fan not sure of the model and her temps have been staying around 40ish on full load so im pretty happy with it

very nice:)

What 1M super Pi time do you get?

conzymaher wrote:
    very nice:)

What 1M super Pi time do you get?

Think this is it im pretty new to actually overclocking (Properly) never usually test them im the type that just encodes a few dvds and im happy that its grand

Thats nearly it:)

You have to wait for the result at the end, I guess you will get ~30 seconds

• Advertisement

Ill try again tomorrow evening i pulled out the usb Pin header when i was changing the ram to some faster ram i have and people need there sleep so no keyboard on the pc till i put it back in

heh,

I get 27 seconds at 3ghz with Crucial Ballistix at DDR540 (2.5-3-3-6) 1T so you have something to comapre to ;)

conzymaher wrote:
    heh,

I get 27 seconds at 3ghz with Crucial Ballistix at DDR540 (2.5-3-3-6) 1T so you have something to comapre to ;)

Cheers for that i was actually planning on selling this but seeing how much of an overclock im getting i might keep it
    Now to convince the parents i need another 2 cases in my room as ive got a Pentium D805 and a D820 to assemble:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

your oc for the 146 is the normal for these chips. What stepping was it? All the new ones seem to hit about the same

good oc though

better ram should give a nice boost but nothing amazing

the stepping is cab2e 0545 original owner was only getting 2.5 i only tried overclocking it last night and got to 2.870Ghz im thinking of watercooling it and investing in some good ram for it,
    Do you think that would get some improvement on it?

• Advertisement

peterk19 wrote:
    the stepping is cab2e 0545 original owner was only getting 2.5 i only tried overclocking it last night and got to 2.870Ghz im thinking of watercooling it and investing in some good ram for it,
    Do you think that would get some improvement on it?

watercooling MIGHT get you an extra 100-200mhz and the ram will allow you to run without a divider, so you'll see a bit of preformance boost. Personally i wouldnt pump any cash into a single core opty, keep it for awhile and save the rest for a new cpu :D

oh right sure notreally worth the hastle might just invest in watercooling for the Pentium D805 so

peterk19 wrote:
    oh right sure notreally worth the hastle might just invest in watercooling for the Pentium D805 so

yeh thats a better move ;)

Advertisement