Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else take 3 electives?

Options
  • 06-06-2006 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

For all you first years, I'm wondering did any of you take three electives? I did and got a call there towards the end of last month from UCD asking me which of them I didn't want counted towards my GPA, despite the fact I have no idea what I got in my Semester 2 electives.

Does anyone know why they can't just count the best two?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I thought you could only do 12 modules each year...? 4 + 4 + 2 electives.

hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

The basic reason is choice, UCD want to give you the choice to pick the two electives out of three electives that you liked best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

I thought you could only do 12 modules each year...? 4 + 4 + 2 electives.
    Thats 10 in my books there dave.

I was explicitily told to only take 2 electives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

You are meant to take 2 electives...however as long as they're not conflicting with other subjects you can if you wish to do so take more.

Evil Lime [lol] did you ask them to count the ones you did best in for your GPA or did they say you couldn't and had to decide now?

[oh and LOL at Daves adding :D]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

rofl

No wonder I got a D2 in maths in the Leavin... :D Oh dear oh dear oh dear...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

It depends on your course, Undenominated engineering we had three electives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

For all you first years, I'm wondering did any of you take three electives? I did and got a call there towards the end of last month from UCD asking me which of them I didn't want counted towards my GPA, despite the fact I have no idea what I got in my Semester 2 electives.

Does anyone know why they can't just count the best two?

I thought all of your modules counted towards your GPA??? :confused:
    DaveMcG wrote:
    No wonder I got a D2 in maths in the Leavin... :D Oh dear oh dear oh dear...

After your addition howler I'd reckon you got that mighty D2 grade at Foundation Level :p

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

To begin with: I'm not bothered by this or anything, just curious as to why they're doing it.

and now, in no particular order:
    The basic reason is choice, UCD want to give you the choice to pick the two electives out of three electives that you liked best.

Why? I'd rather have the choice of the two I did best in.
    Evil Lime [lol] did you ask them to count the ones you did best in for your GPA or did they say you couldn't and had to decide now?

Yeah, I did ask if they could just count the best ones, but was told I had to pick in advance of knowing my result in Contract Law II.
    You are meant to take 2 electives...however as long as they're not conflicting with other subjects you can if you wish to do so take more.

They do allow you to take three electives, but no more (yes, I was in fact foolish enough to at one point consider four electives). I discovered this when registering my electives back in September, as the button was still clickable after the first two, I went back and signed up for a third (I did call UCD to check this was OK) I don't recomend the route unless you are quite interested in the third elective, and think you can do well in it with little effort (I took French as my third elective btw)
    I thought all of your modules counted towards your GPA??

It does seem that only twelve of my thirteen results will count for my GPA, but all thirteen results will be recorded. I took a shot and droped a C in contract law at christmas, in the hope of getting a better grade in the summer.

If you are wondering, yes I have forgotten how to put the name of the poster in quote tags.

Advertisement