Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can i use a 3sim in an unlocked n70?

• 06-06-2006 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,173 ✭✭✭✭

as title really fancy moving to three but might just get a cheap handset, flog it and keep using my n70, can i use a 3 sim in it tho

ive often seen on ebay phones unlocked to all networks except 3???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Thats just because they are not 3G phones, but as the N70 is, it'll work fine for you Cyrus ;)

Thing is, 3 are a purely 3G network, so if you use a '3' sim card in a standard GSM phone that doesnt support 3G, it won't work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,173 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

ah i get ya!

yhpm by the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

most of 3's phones are tricky if not impossible to get unlocked so flogging it could be a problem. ask around here before buying one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,173 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i know, i think the v3x can be tho

yeah that one can be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just so you know, I put a 3 sim in my N70, and I couldn't make Video Calls. You may have to get settings from 3 to get it to work. I wasn't that pushed about it, as I just wanted to see if the sim would work in it. I could make standard calls and texts. Obviously, I didn't try any of the GPRS stuff either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 costello2s

Cyrus

I have an unlocked voda n70 working fine on 3 for calls,txts, mms, browser. All the 3 settings have been posted in earlier threads.

Wolfman just to correct you, a 3sim will work perfectly in a 2.5g phone for calls and txts as it falls back onto voda network. I have tried it in a 6230.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

@costello2s

I should have been more specific.
    The '3' network in the UK, is what I was referring to, as the ebay auctions that Cyrus discussed all refer to '3' UK.

Their network in the UK is purely 3G. Over here, it is piggybacking on Vodafone, so yes, it will drop back onto Voda's standard network here alright, but if you try a standard phone with a UK '3' sim card, it WON'T work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

3 is the same in the UK. They operate a 3G network with fallback onto O2 UK's 2.5G (GSM/GPRS) network in areas that arn't covered by their own system.

The only major difference here is that fallback is provided by Vodafone Ireland instead of O2.

I have never found O2's UK network great. Seems to have a lot of annoying technical problems. e.g. last time I used it it couldn't support delivery reports on text messages!!!

But, the bottom line regarding 3 phones.. they're all dual mode GSM/UMTS i.e. 2.5G/3G.

The major difference is that you cannot operate a normal GSM phone with a 3 SIM card. Unlike Vodafone's 3G SIMs, 3's are not dual-mode and will only work in a 3G compatable phone.

Provided your handset supports 3G a 3 SIM card should work no problem.

The other issue is that 3 are very cagey about their settings. They seem to want to sell 3 branded handsets and not have anything else on their network. You might find it tricky to get the settings required for their various 3G services from the helpdesk.

I have their Sony-Ericsson handset and can't even see the 3 network settings. All of those menus are locked.

costello2s wrote:
    Cyrus

I have an unlocked voda n70 working fine on 3 for calls,txts, mms, browser. All the 3 settings have been posted in earlier threads.

Wolfman just to correct you, a 3sim will work perfectly in a 2.5g phone for calls and txts as it falls back onto voda network. I have tried it in a 6230.:)
    i've put my 3 sim in two 6230s. one worked (of course not with the video stuff) and the other said sim rejected. did you by any chance get your 6230 from england?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 costello2s

Commander Vimes it was a Meteor unlocked 6230 bought here in ireland.:D

costello2s wrote:
    Commander Vimes it was a Meteor unlocked 6230 bought here in ireland.:D
    very odd. the one 6230 i had it working in is the only 2.5g phone that's ever worked. all other phones have rejected the sim. even those sim card readers won't recognise a 3 sim

Advertisement